Toyota THAILAND Open 2021 (S1000) : R/32-FINAL (19-24 January)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 18, 2021.

1. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

Viktor Axelsen vs Chou Tien Chen is live on BWF youtube with first game almost over

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    CTC serving short :(

3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Thanks! Good to see BWF figured out they were missing the Youtube stream.

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You are right, my bad, edited.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Wow, good MS match.VA is looking awesome.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

so Axelsen champion equals Momota SS titles tomorrow ?!

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

@AYearOnTour congratz on your win today against Antonsen!

Also, do you know what happened to Antonsen today? Did he get permanent lung damage after he caught covid or something? It seemed really unusual for Antonsen, especially since Antonsen lost in the first round in the previous Thailand tournament last week. If he had made it the to finals last week, I can understand him running out of gas in the tournament this week. But he lost in the first round last week so it's unusual that he had such lower energy today. I just hope he doesn't have any long term health issues from covid and that perhaps he just missed 2 weeks of training because of covid so that's why he was out of energy today.

If you could let us know what happened to Antonsen, that would be appreciated, since you are his teammate. Thanks!

j4ckie, indrg and IntanonFanBoy like this.
  8. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

CTC completely lost focus at the end of both sets, and simply gave away both sets, he should really consider having a real coach besides him and not some overly cheerfull cheerleader :/ because physically he is extremely good but not mentally

Sundis and baddiechan like this.
  9. AYearOnTour

AYearOnTour Regular Member

Not trying to spread anything about you. Sorry if I misunderstood how you meant what you wrote, but to me it clearly looked like you were insinuating I said it to provoke him in some way. Glad to know it's not the case and glad I had a chance to explain what happened.

Enjoy the games and all the best

10. AYearOnTour

AYearOnTour Regular Member

Thank you, Dangho. I completely agree on your point about a review system. Also for serving faults, please!
    Glad to know you did not mean it the way I originally understood it.
    All the best

Dangho and TheDanishAngel like this.
  11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

wow VA, TTY and CM hats off to them to reach the final in back-to-back in January. Make it a hat trick 3 in a row next week.

12. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

"99%" of badminton fans thought that Nishimoto will lose to Momota in Malaysia Master 2019. But sometimes it does not go this way.

Don't say too soon. I remember someone used to say that: the player who will play final match will not the ordinary player that we see everyday.

13. indrg

indrg Regular Member

what happens to Antonsen? I want to see VA vs. Antonsen

14. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

Completely agree, he needs someone who can help him mentally and technically/strategically. He is soft when things get tough especially against the top players something eventually snaps. Whenever he wins a good point his physio screams like a spectator, he needs to look at the next point to win the match.

You can't be the best without a coach, Chou Tien Chen could have been number 1 at some point with a decent coach. I don't know what his reasoning is but there must be plenty of caoches who want to work with him.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINALS (12.00pm) => https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/...0B8FA6-D156-42C9-B383-13C50BB71762&d=20210124

upload_2021-1-23_22-0-57.png

One repeat final, five same finalists and probably we could see four same winners in Bangkok showcase...
    Indonesia who will bring almost full team (minus The Minions) shows declining mode in second week as none of them can make it to final, inconsistency problem still haunting some of their leading players.
    • Carolina Marin is more understanding about An Se Young rally pattern, the Korean teenager can’t balance Marin finest shot and fast movement, the Olympic Champion is too hot to handle particularly in second game. There’s still room for improvement in defense aspect, net shot and developing lethal smash. But hats off for An consistency which beyond her tender age, she only lost to high calibre name.
    • In WS big match, first two games contain uninteresting one-way traffic duel. The real competition begins in deciding game where most exciting part happens in late stages, 20-16, one point away for Ratchanok Intanon to secure final berth but she unable to execute well in decisive moment. World number one Tai Tzu Ying stays composed and enjoying the game to grab 5 consecutive points and intensify the pressure for home favorite to seal the match at the end, 23-21. Hopefully it's world class women's singles final clash than anticlimactic action last week.
    • It's sensational run for world #42 Hans Kristian Vittinghus who steals the limelight during this tournament to nail last round ticket, conquers more fancied Anders Antonsen. After turned the tables in opening game, the full confident Vittinghus demonstrated his brilliant feat to dictate the frustrating Antonsen, 21-19 / 21-8. Antonsen fitness level has not back yet to his prime after recovered from COVID-19. Will it be fairytale end for Vittinghus tomorrow?
    • A much better fight and resistance displayed by Chou Tien Chen than last meeting against Viktor Axelsen in All England final 2020 but it’s still same story. There’s good chance in opening game when world #2 coming from behind to level scoreline 19-19 with his more pro active approachment but too bad Chou service was out when it mattered most.
    • Korean women’s doubles make amends over last week setback. Lee/Shin did their homework to play more variation and good rotation to beat archrivals Polii/Rahayu. Later on, Kim/Kong outclass Malaysian underdogs Chow MK/Lee MY. Highly likley it would be marathon match in final day.
    • If the Daddies didn’t commit two consecutive unforced errors at end of second game, they would be in finale. The Indonesians aren’t in good shape 100%, tough to endure Lee/Wang quick play in deciding game. It’s TPE vs MAS showdown once again in MD category but this time is younger opponents Aaron Chia/Soh WY who edge out Rankireddy/Shetty, 21-18 / 21-18. There should be intriguing test for the Taiwanese aces to clinch second title here.
    • Host THA once again will rely on their hotshots Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai to claim victory at home soil. Top-seed were pushed into the limit by the stubborn Indians Rankireddy/Ponnappa before off the pressure in middle of third game. Korean mixed doubles pair Seo SJ/Chae YJ halt MAS second stringers Hoo PR/Cheah YS in comfortable way.

lurker, It'sMeMeMe, Martynas and 2 others like this.
  16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh wow, tell us more. What else would certainly have been different under normal circumstances? And how do you get these absolute facts?

What a joke.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The explanation from the broadcast sounds like slight narcissism ("I know what I need to do, don't need a coach"), but maybe he can't handle the 'distraction' of having a second opinion...? I surely agree that having a coach is almost always better than not having one. They can watch the match from the outside, without the stress of the physical exertion, and should also be more objective than the player themselves....a good coach is always better than none. They'll know how to handle each player, how much input to give etc etc

18. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

tactical guidance and reassurance of game plan or adjusting it a bit (to the current situation, other player actions) is really important, of cause guidance and support will not win it for you, but it can give that extra confidense boost, especially during crutial moments, thus this crumbling during most deceding moments is somewhat understandable

19. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

did Axelsen gave a woo sound after he won the first game, amused by the constant clapping and cheering from CTC's physio whenever CTC won a point?

20. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I wouldn't expect him to answer that. If he doesn't know exactly, he would just be speculating like us. If he does know, it was surely told to him in confidence, in which case it is sensitive medical information that should not be disclosed to the public by anyone but Antonsen himself.