Li Ning Rackets Fan Club :)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tckang, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Balajisethuraman,
    Thank you for that suggestion, but according to Yonex and several reviews, the Astrox 100zz has an extra stiff shaft. I don't like stiff rackets because they feel dead and lifeless to me. I've owned and tried a few, like the Astrox 22, and even though I loved the weight and consequent speed and maneuverability, it was stiff as a brick and felt like I might as well be using a wooden broom handle. No feedback. However, I play with a friend who loves his. I guess for me, the flex in a racket allows me to feel what it is doing and makes it feel alive, as well as gives it that extra bit of power I need.

Thanks s_mair, and you are both right. When using a light racket from any deeper than mid-court, if you are off-balance or use the wrong technique to hit a clear or any deep return shot, you just set your opponent up to drill the bird down your throat. User beware!

I've thought about what you said on my technique, it's relationship to light rackets, and really appreciate the advice and concern underlying your statements. I was a high-ranked racquetball player in my city long ago when it was popular, and that game is all about wrist snap. When taking up badminton, I experimented with using wrist snap vs stiff arm and all combinations in between, and watched a lot of training videos (I still do since I've only been playing about a year and know I can always improve). I went through a trial and error period where my shoulder hurt, then my wrist, until I found a combination that I think works right for me, pain free, irregardless of the weight of the racket.

I don't really "need" a light racket to get length in my shots, as evidenced by the months I played with a Victor Thruster K9000, TKF, Yonex Armortec 700, and a V4000, and could place the shuttle anywhere I wanted from anywhere on the court. I've just found that it is so much easier, takes less effort, is so much faster, thereby allowing the whole game to slow down, and less physically straining on my body to use a light racket.

I guess I should mention I am 67 years old, and yes, I have lost a step or two from when I competed in racquetball decades ago, and am physically not as strong as I used to be. But I'm still faster than 95% of the people I play with, and these age-induced traits have forced me to find the simplest, easiest way to be successful at this sport, because I haven't lost an ounce of competitive drive or spirit, and I really love this game. I'll continue to play until I drop dead on the court (or am electrocuted on stage, wink to s_mair). And with a light racket, I can play all day and not get tired at all other than from running around. This is necessary because when I play in our Senior Olympics, I have to play qualifying, semi-final and final matches for each division, all in one day, and I play all 3 divisions, men's doubles, mixed doubles and singles. That's about 10-16 games in one day, with the most important games at the end.

I've been using a HL Gold Dragon that weighs 78 grams with a flexible shaft and a BP of 316 mm for months now. It is so fast compared to my other rackets that when a hard smash comes my way at half-court, the racket seems to subconsciously know where it needs to be and is there before I can even think about it. The same thing happens when working the front in doubles. I can pop up and intercept a very hard, flat drive shot coming right over the net, which allows me to fire a return shot back to them before they even realize what happened.

What I'm trying to tell you is, at least for me, a light racket changes how you play considerably. The speed that you can react with allows you to slow down your entire game, because it seems like you have extra time to get to and return shots. I think light rackets are so good at defending smashes that the smash will no longer be as dominant a point-winner as it used to be. I now laugh at and enjoy opponents smashing things at me over and over, and easily returning them, knowing that they are expending so much strength and energy for nothing. They get so frustrated and tired. The game becomes all about placement and accuracy, the two areas I excel in.

If you haven't seriously given a light racket a chance, I humbly suggest you should. But don't approach it or compare it to your regular racket without adjusting your perspective of how to utilize its main advantage, speed. Yes, you will loose some smashing power, but not as much as you think if you go with a heavier head, and your faster swing speed can make up for it. The other advantages you gain in so many different areas over pure power are well worth the trade off in my opinion. In fact, I think that once more people try it and adjust their approach to how they play the game, we will see a huge swing sport-wide to lighter rackets. Just play relaxed and calmly, not tense and nervous, and allow the racket to do it's magic. At first you miss a lot and feel uncontrolled because of the speed and lack of weigh you are used to. Relax into it.

I apologize to all for the lengthy ramblings from an old man, and sounding like a know-it-all when I'm really just a year in. I just thought the revolutionary introduction of lighter rackets needs some support and explanation from someone who will never go back to using axe handles now that technology has taken us a step forward. After all, this change has already happened once before, from wooden rackets that weighed pounds, not ounces.

PS: Are the reviews on BadmintonRacketReview's ezone accurate and reliable? I'd love to hear if anyone's opinion on the LN Windstorm 74 agrees with BRR's tests.

Thanks for your patience...........

Scrench

Back to Li Ning talk.............

melonballs88, sp00k and s_mair like this.
  2. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Sir, trust me astrox 100zz 4u feels light as bird..it has a longer handle than any other yonex which gives a great feel when u hold the racket near the cone (energy boost cap). Interception are cool and quick.. the extra slim shaft by yonex does flex.. unlike other yonex shift shafts.. my suggestion is try a dry swing in your nearby shop and see.

Try Kawasaki king k9. It’s flex head heavy balance.. u just won’t feel the head unless u try a smash!! If possible take a dry swing.. BRR was raving about this racket and yeah I agree with BRR as well on this..

Sir at 67, your enthusiasm and interest is really admirable..

W.r.t badminton racket review.. I personally think the targeted Audience are beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6082 BalajiSethuraman, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  3. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Me when I don't afford a 9000I racket.

It's apacs lethal light 6u along with electric wire. apacs chế.jpg

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

[​IMG]

Father Parrot likes this.
  5. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Try it and give your own opinion.

I feel great!

6. pughon

pughon Regular Member

Another swing weight from biggest retailer in VN.

upload_2020-12-15_11-28-9.png

Not sure if it is due to production tolerance or machine precision.

#6086 pughon, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  7. tan.phan.vt

tan.phan.vt New Member

I have the tectonic 7d and i'd say its very similar to the ax88s. I consider buying the 88s at first but it seems a bit stiffer than what i'd like, so i pass on the last 88s in the store to the next customer and chose the tectonic 7d. Sameish balance, medium stiff and slightly head heavy, same length 670mm.

8. TSchops

TSchops Regular Member

Saw a few videos on YouTube of the 9000I out already. Unfortunately videos are not in a language I can understand. Has anyone had the chance to try one out and want to share their first impressions?

From the specs online and from this thread I understand it to be a 5U, flexible, and slightly head heavy racket (please correct me if I am wrong). Just deciding if I want to treat myself to a new "toy".

9. Zulzuki

Zulzuki New Member

Hi guys..i just want to clarify..is this n90 is genuine? My friend want to sell it to me..this is the 1st time i saw the n90 with white color on the top of the frame

Attached Files:

10. Meredith

Meredith New Member

Does anyone have any POV on the difference between the Tectonic 7I and 9000I - the specs seems rather similar with the exception of balance point and was wondering about the difference between them. TIA!

11. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

May be yonex will only get to sponsor ?

12. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

Has anyone bought off lining.eu before? And are they legitimate shop?

13. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Bought some clothing/jerseys from there last year.

Shipping to Germany took about a week after placing the order, nothing to complain...

TigerSmash likes this.
  14. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

That's great, thanks

Woesi likes this.
  15. DKCPH2018

DKCPH2018 Regular Member

If you are talking about https://li-ning.eu/ then yes they are legitimate.
    They are the Li-Ning distributor for Scandinavia mainly based in Denmark ( li-ning.dk)

TigerSmash and Woesi like this.
  16. Yaremchuk

Yaremchuk Regular Member

software developer
    Such a long thread and no links pinned in the top?

I wonder if there is a reliable place on internet with official Lining characteristics of rackets?

Also interested in moment of inertia measurements.

Than you!!

17. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    I don't think we have any sort of functionality in threads but we do have a reliable search button which can pull off some deep integrated searches.

18. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Li Ning in desperate need of innovation as they have already lost their big cow, change its orthodox ways and condense the confusing spread of racquet lines. Still not complying to give 76 holes, compact frames, thinner frame profiles, hell even Adidas and Mizuno are doing a better job at it. Isn't TC80 a 4U TC75C in red?
    The loss of Chinese Team sponsorship should serve as a wake up call for them.
    It would pain me to see such a company go down in popularity like Carlton Babolat etc, as Li Ning produces one of the finest quality racquet with top notch paintjobs which are even miles better than Yonex Victor or any other company I have seen to date. I just hope in the coming year we do see some radical improvements.

#6098 Vivek Bagadhi, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  19. random123xxxx

random123xxxx Regular Member

their paint job quality isn't as good as yonec and victor. just a scoop on the floor and the paint will be gone. with reference of aeronaut series rackets.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You can hardly be more wrong. With Yonex it's enough to look at the racket angrily to cause a paint chip.

I'm also starting to be really concerned about the future of Li-Ning's badminton program. They had been on such a promising path with a couple of outstanding new releases around the time of their big re-naming stunt (heck, they even started doing some decent marketig and promotion in Europe) but they seem to have completely lost that drive. Seeing the Chinese pros with the YY symbol all over them is like the ultimate defeat - I still can't get my head around why the chinese government could have let this happen.

j4ckie, yenyesoh, Woesi and 1 other person like this.