KAWASAKI Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by KWSKJP, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Ryan Abrenica

Ryan Abrenica Regular Member

Lawyer
    At the start I was not that impressed too with the 100ZZ's power but as I played with it and became more like a glove, I can generate pretty good power with it. Like I have said, the Master Mao improves and feels better with every play so it is not far fetched that I can perhaps generate more power with it compared to the 100ZZ given more time and familiarity. I admit I still have some off centered hits with the Master Mao and I am still in the process of consistently hitting the sweet spot on pressure situations and tight over heads but I am getting there fast. As a bonus, playing with a racket that nobody in your club has is pretty cool don't you think? I have read your reviews and the others contributing to this thread and decided to get the Master 900 3U as the 4U might just be a bit too fast for my patient style. I have also picked the King K9 3U over the 4U as I read that the 3U has a stiffer shaft than the 4U version. I would try to make a review of both 3U versions when they arrive (I have not seen a review of the King K9 3U which should have a much different feel to the 4U version if it indeed has a stiffer shaft) and after I have fooled with them a bit. Thank you once again to this wonderful and helpful Kawasaki community. Cheers!

phil1954, balls2u and KWSKJP like this.
  2. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Just tried 90K for a couple of sessions. It is indeed all round but not exactly Auraspeed fast and made way for its attacking attributes. Overall response is not exactly as spontaneous as Master 900 tbh.

KWSKJP and Ryan Abrenica like this.
  3. Tonyjaii

Tonyjaii New Member

I came across the king k8 and k9 online. want to it a go, which one is better? from research i can see that the k8 has more control, more stiff, more head heavy, less power compare to the k9. is the k9 very flexible? i use nf800 and lining 75d, both are quite stiff racket imo. Which one should i try?

4. demoniez

demoniez Regular Member

My opinion after on K8 for a couple of sets and K9 for a couple of hours.
    Flex - K8 ia stiff but somewhat comfortable. K9 is flexi but somewhat felt mid flex or low end of the stiff scale. Very comfortable.
    Balance - K8 is a little more head heavy than K9 at ~300mm. K9 is ~295mm and felt balanced.
    Defense - K9 is the clear winner. Not that K8 is slow but K9 is made to be easy and all around.
    Control - K8 wins due to stiffness. Considering effort to stiffness to control correlation, K9 would have better efficacy.
    Power - Depends on individual. I guess for someone coming from a stiff racket, K8 would be a better fit.

I would say none of them are rock solid rackets since the King series are probably meant to be all round easy to handle and efficient rackets. I didnt like any of them despite acknowledging their merits as I prefer the newer Master 900 which is more solid, stiff and all around than the King series though i believe K8 is stiffer than Master 900 if i remember.

5. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    Have you tried sir the King K9 3U version? Kawasaki rates the K9 3U shaft stiffness at 3.5 of 5. I have ordered it together with the Master 900 3U. I have long wanted to try the King K9 4U due to the glowing reviews but reading that it has a flexy shaft turned me off. Can't wait to see how both 3U versions fare against each other and to the Master Mao. Both should arrive in 2 weeks.

#165 Ryan Abrenica, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    EdwinD likes this.
  6. Tonyjaii

Tonyjaii New Member

cant seem to find the k9 in 3u. still 5050 on k8 or k9

7. demoniez

demoniez Regular Member

There is mentioned in previous posts that the K9 3U is close to Yonex 88D 3U.

Ryan Abrenica likes this.
  8. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    Thank you. At any rate I shall soon find out for myself. Cheers!

9. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Finally got to try out the new Ninja series after a long wait. Notice it has a very very slim and slightly larger frame from initial impression. Initial swing suggests there is some weight in the head and is pretty solid. Shaft is slim as well. Black and green theme with a nice Ninja logo mainly matt paintjob with the occasion gloss at the right places makes it a pretty decent looking racket that. Gives me a sharp ninja sword impression.

It’s a completely different animal from the Master 900. The sweet spot is large. Not as stiff as Master 900 as it feels a little above mid flex. Though it has a very slim frame, it feels a little head heavier with a slimmer shaft and frame than Master 900. Smashing and surprisingly drives are where the racket unleashes its true potential. You can feel a distinct yet moderate hammering down and cutting the air at the same time. It doesn’t feel weighty because the overhead swing is very aerodynamic. The air cutting hammer effect is actually quite satisfying. Defense may be a little slower than Master 900 though, likely due to its kick point. But nonetheless accurate and powerful. Shots bounce off the frame efficiently. The slim shaft and weight balance do help a lot in control and net shot quality. I like the driving especially, somehow the head weight gave it a huge power boost without feeling weighty like usual head heavy rackets. Stiffness rating felt slightly above Victor BS12.

Overall, this is more conventional racket with satisfying attacking qualities from its air cutting hammering swing. The large sweet spot and stable frame gives good control of your shots. Easy to wield power with its large sweet spot, balance point and undemanding stiffness yet not sacrificing much defensively. There are always pros and cons on compact and large frames. Compact frames are easy to miss but thunderous when the timing is right. Large frames hit easily though you still have to get the timing right as well to fulfill its potential.

KWSKJP, demoniez and Ryan Abrenica like this.
  10. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    Supplemental Review On The Master Mao

Guys I have been with the Master Mao for almost a month now and I feel I should give you guys an update. This racket I tell you guys is worth every penny (I will gladly pay twice of what I paid for it) and every true badminton lover should try it. In my first review, I complained about feel and power at the onset. I did not take into account its unique hexagonal/mech frame which feels different to most box frames, at least initially. Well a re-string after, again with the BG66 Ultimax at 24/26 and I can confidently state that I like it better now than the 100ZZ 4U. I am generating very impressive smash power with it both on feathers and plastics. The difference in power has become noticeable between the 2. On the control department, it has caught up with the 100ZZ 4U as well although the 100ZZ 4U still retains an edge on control but only by the slimmest of margins. I had a pretty nice game the other day vs a fellow high intermediate wielding an 88D 3U and by the end of the game my friend was begging to try the Master Mao. I have ordered the 100ZZ 3U so that it can be fairly assessed versus the Master Mao but believe me guys, the Master Mao is better than the 100ZZ 4U and that is no easy feat to accomplish. It is still not a novice racket by any means and in my experience will require some time to get used to. The reward though for your patience will be great once you tame this beast. Superb job Kawasaki!

#170 Ryan Abrenica, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Tennyson, KWSKJP, balls2u and 3 others like this.
  11. demoniez

demoniez Regular Member

I rate the 100ZZ very highly one of its kind and for Master Mao to be rated in near equal terms is no mean feat. It is a pity Kawasaki did not get the popularity it deserves. Their top range improves year on year.

12. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    Very true. It is very hard to compete in terms of recognition against companies with pro player endorsements. But quality speaks for itself and if Kawasaki continues to dish out superb top of the line rackets year after year, recognition will follow. I was playing again this evening with the 2 rackets and the Master Mao just continued to shine better than the 100ZZ 4U. It made a world of difference once I adjusted to the feel of the Master Mao and began hitting the sweet spot continuosly. Smashes and punch clears of the MM now has venom. Those are aspects some people hoped the 100ZZ 4U had a bit more. It would be interesting though to find out how the 100ZZ 3U competes versus the Master Mao. That will be one hell of a battle.

KWSKJP, balls2u and demoniez like this.
  13. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    Try the Kawasaki official store on Ali Express. I ordered the K9 3U from them plus the Master 900 3U. Hope this helps.

14. demoniez

demoniez Regular Member

I reviewed on the Master 900 3U as one of the first adopters. This beast still remains my go to 10 months on. Similar specs as the Master Mao albeit slightly less stiff, this is one heck of an animal, so all round and downright back court cannibal. Launch missiles and turning heads all over. 4U equally good just swings too fast for my liking.

15. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    Now you got me drooling my friend. If the Master 900 3U proves better if not equal than the Master Mao, Kawasaki badminton will be a force in the future. Here in my club, people have not even heard of Kawasaki being involved in badminton until they saw the Master Mao. It will be painful waiting for the Master 900 3U to arrive with all the delays in holiday shipments. But for now, I shall enjoy my MM and hopefully turn some heads towards Kawasaki's way.

EdwinD likes this.
  16. Tennyson

Tennyson Regular Member

Has anyone played with the Mizuno attacking range like Calibre, JPX, Fortius and how does Master 900 or Mao measure up against?

17. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    I used the JPX Limited and A100ZZ 4U in the Master Mao review my friend....

18. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Have tried Fortius 10Q for a bit. Not easy rackets and somehow always have a little timing issues with Mizuno rackets but it's negligible with some game time. A little head heavy attacking and stiff and ok defensively. On the contrary, i prefer Master 900 4U being more all round more easy.

19. demoniez

demoniez Regular Member

I have played with Fortius 10P 3U couple of months back before selling it off. Very top heavy and attacking. Very solid feeling. But suffers in speed and somewhat demanding. I can smash equally hard with 3U Master900 with very slightly more strength. The Master edge past Fortius in its ability to continue the attack without feeling tired. Much more all round. But i smash the hardest using Altius Tour which is somewhat a little mid flex ;) though i must acknowledge Master 900 has it all.

20. Ryan Abrenica

Lawyer
    I have a fellow club member who also wields the Fortius 10P 3U. I tried it for a couple of games and it feels like the old VTZF2. Very solid feeling racket but demanding and if you are not 100% physically, will quickly take a toll on you. Those are strictly for singles (not unless you are Ahsan/Setiawan) and that is where I feel the Master Mao has an edge as I feel it can be used for both doubles front and back as it fast and does not suffer the defensive liabilities of very top heavy rackets.