Yonex Astrox 100ZZ

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Junye, Dec 18, 2019.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Not to forget the shorter shaft (5mm shorter on the S) giving it less length to flex on swing.

Rudimentarily, with the S having lesser head weight than the D, 5mm shorter shaft, and constant swing momentum (same user, as a constant assumption), it may give the impression that with X amount of swing speed, the head is less likely to flex/bend than the D, hence giving better control, which is what the S is more about.

Not at you LiteBulb, but just my thoughts below:
    Rather than blasting the poor dude for saying something that's not accepted by the general widespread public, maybe we can delve into why that dude says what he says.
    Unless it's someone whose nick rhymes with Ferrero Rocher (*chef kiss, what a chocolate) and constantly asking what grip, racket, and string/tension a pro uses all the time.

I think it's safe to say not everyone has LD's level of feel and touch, so one man's meat could very well be another man's poison.
    In the same way I never liked the DZS and found it lacking headfeel, but I have friends who swear by it. Marmite, too.

2. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

Thank you for the scientific explanation sir.

To the 88S/D topic, I do agree that 88D is stiffer than 88S by measurement.
    However, that 5mm longer makes 'my' arm feels the opposite.
    Some of my playmates also confirm they have the same feeling, so that's why I share my experience.

My friend, have you switched between 88S and D for a not-so-brief time (few weeks, maybe..)?

3. boby

boby Regular Member

my astrox weight measurements (maybe 1st batch)..
    both use same grip, same string and tension.
    ax88d 3U head weight 42 gram with string
    ax88s 3U head weight 43 gram with string

ax88s 5mm shorter (at end cap or grip) and a bit more head weight, with this condition ax88s should be same or a bit more flexier than ax88d.

in my case i feel the opposite also, i feel drain energy more and a bit hurts in forearm with ax88s compare with the D.

#843 boby, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  4. Iwan Pandin

Iwan Pandin Regular Member

Astrox 88, 99, 100 all have small head frame size. What do you guys think the benefit of smaller frame beside that it swing faster? And also the disadvantages of it?

5. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Since when did 88 and 99 have compact head?

I'd love to see your source.

Anyway cons of a smaller frame - smaller sweet spot. You mishit easier.

Coolkas likes this.
  6. turtleneck

turtleneck New Member

I got mixed reviews on 100zz 4U. I am really considering buying it. But does the feel close to an even balance racket like Duora 10LT and Arc saber 11? Or its truly a head heavy racket ? I'm an even balance user but 100zz is tempting, not sure if it'll suit me.

7. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

I have used the 100zz for months now. What i notice about this racket is that it is a quite demanding racket. I played twice a week and took me almost 1 month plus to get use to it.

I believe it is because of the extra stiff shaft and newly design frame shape. Once i manage to hit the sweet spot, it packs a lot of power and the speed of recovery of the 100zz is amazing. It is totally not a friendly racket and you need strong technique, wrist power and fast swing speed to fully utilise it.

It feel light but you can still feel the head heaviness on hand. By comparison, it is definitely not as head heavy as voltric series or ax88D and ax99.

*note: i have used dzs, LDF, ax88D and ax99.

wengheng likes this.
  8. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

How does it compare to the DZS?

9. Iwan Pandin

10. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Nowhere in this video does the fella mention that it is "small head frame size", according to you.

Anyway that dude just put 235mm, going further with the 4 video links at the end of the video (yes I'm playing ball with you this far), this 235mm is regarded by him as "slightly small". All the quotes use your words and the video's, I made no change or distortion.

Emphasis mine: just because that video says it is "slightly small", so am I right to say that you assumed that AX77,88,99,100 ALL have "small head frame size", since the video puts all 4 at 235mm?

My point is, it's all relative son, he never mentioned compact head, or in this case, "small head frame size", but you assumed because he felt that the AX77,88,99,100ZZ have "slightly small" head sizes.

I see my ding dong as the thiccckest (triple c's), most dense pillar the world has ever seen, and yet someone else can see it as a toothpick in a dry curly ball of hay. Or a desert, but I digress.
    Assume makes an ass out of u and me.

To some, quite large, degree this channel at the very least gets his **** correct,
    the 8XP has a smaller frame than the AX's, 8XP coming in at 233mm,
    And the NF800 at 232mm and ZSP at 230mm. ZF2 at 232mm. DZS at 232mm.
    Now THAT is compact head, or sorry, "small head frame size".
    Yes I watched so many just to see if its your head or that channel owner is the one with issues.

What that channel failed to tell you is:
    AX88S top grommets are recessed into the groove more than the 88D, at the 4 and 8 o clock compared to 3 and 9 on the AX88D and AX99.

AX100 (both ZX and ZZ) apart from the first 4 holes either side from the shaft, all the grommets are recessed into the groove to give it even lesser air resistance. So what if the head size is same at 235mm, it'll swing faster with lesser resistance.

I think all in all, that channel shouldn't be used as your bible, great as a guide though, and the term "small head" seems to fit you better than the Astroxes.

doyantepok, Curvy and Woesi like this.
  11. Iwan Pandin

Wow, you must be love Astrox so much that an incorrect information really irritate you and got into your nerve so deep that make you insult people.
    Anyway your knowledge of Astrox is amazing. I salute you for that.

michael5098 and Martynas like this.
  12. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Actually, no. I don't even use astrox now, believe it or not.

I just bother to fact check stuff or if not, ask in a way that is a question.

Rather than outright just shoot it as a matter of fact that the head frame is small.

Anyway I did answer what are the cons to the small compact head.
    Pros... You already know.

13. Kingsley90

Well, DZS is very similar to AX100zz in all expect. Longer handle, extra stiff shaft and smaller frame.
    For my liking, i would prefer ax100zz(4u) over the DZS(3u). The only reason why i don’t dzs is because it is an even balance racket. It just feel too light for me even though it’s a 3u but i must say DZS is an amazing racket. I just sold off my dzs after i got used to my ax100zz because i don’t feel like playing with my dzs anymore.

By comparison, i would say performance wise dzs is better on backhand shot while ax100zz can perform clear shot easily. Net shot not that special as both are expert in this compartment(but ax100zz new boost cap is just too comfortable to use). Smash are just awesome for both but i can do continuous smash more effectively with ax100zz (recovery rate on ax100zz is faster). If you have master all the basic technique, you will enjoy playing a lot on their accuracy and consistency (thanks to the extra stiff shaft).

Anyway, this is only my personal preferences and opinion. There is no best racket or better racket in this world, depends on how they suits us. Hope you can test on both of them before buying!

14. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

How does ZZ 4U compare to AX99, 88D and VTZF2 4U?

15. esppy

esppy Regular Member

This channel is better for you to follow rather than that.

16. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

So I recently had the chance to test a 4u G5 100ZZ from a friend. Racket was strung BG 80 @ 27lbs so it's similar to what I normally play with. The rackets I use regularly now are the ArcSaber 11 and Duora 8XP.

As many people have said, it's not 'extra stiff' and very user friendly. Almost everyone who tried it in our group said it was quite nice to use. It's not super HH but you can feel the head. I would say it's a solid all-rounder and if I had no rackets and needed one I would probably get this one.

I found it most similar to the Arc 11, I would kind of say it's a head heavier stiffer Arc 11. It's not even THAT much stiffer as well. I found that I could generate more power from the Arc 11, but it might be because I'm more used to it. Curious to see how the 3U model would play out since I had a 3U 88D and could not control the power from it. For myself, the D8XP was stiffest of the 3 and probably the hardest to play with (?).

It's a good racket, it might replace one of mine when they break.

Croavistar and turtleneck like this.
  17. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

So you think 100zz and dzs is same stiffness? Also, what string tension do you use? thanks

18. Kingsley90

Yup, stiffness wise both are almost the same. I normally play 27-28lbs with BG66 UM. My set up on AX100zz is BG66 UM 28lbs.

19. birdhunter

birdhunter Regular Member

Student
    previously i have aromtec 900 tech which is abit of heavy head racket. i like that racket but after i buy astrox100zz, i feel it's not heavy head, any recommendations? the smashing power is not the same as armotec 900tech.

20. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    I have been playing with 100zz for 6 months. More I play more I like it. It gives me a solid punchy feel.