DANISA Denmark Open I 2020 (World Tour Super 750)

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by samkool, Oct 9, 2020.

1. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^ Wowowowo, Nishimoto won by his footstep, not by "jumping-jumping-jumping and smashing-smashing-smashing". That is what I want to watch him

2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Hmmm. :D

This is a good article, albeit a bit dated: https://theconversation.com/the-business-of-sports-resumes-amid-covid-19-but-at-what-cost-142793 Other sports moved forward, but it's not all going well. Djokovic's ill-fated Adria tour, which got himself and others infected, is a good example. The 20/21 NBA season is postponed until January '21 without specific plans on how to organize it. Ronaldo tested positive. The Miami Marlins had half of their players tested positive and the entire team was subsequently suspended for the season by the MLB. By July, 59 NFL players had already tested positive.
    Imagine even half that number over a couple of months in the indoor sport badminton. Player x tests positive, his/her entire national fedaration will probably have to be barred from tournaments/get quarantined for some time. Tournaments may have to be canceled halfway through, despite players and staff having already spent time and money to show up. Needless to say, this would hit smaller federations and tournament organizers much harder.

The NBA, which created a highly effective bubble to host their playoffs, estimates the cost of said bubble at around 170 million dollar. Granted, this would probably be lower for badminton, because badminton tournaments usually only last a week, and there are probably less teams participating in tournaments than during the basketball bubble (22).
    On the other hand, the Lakers' title-winning roster consisted of 18 players, while China, for example, sent 35 players to the All England.

It is a logistic nightmare and a financial undertaking that I don't think badminton can handle. The NBA also did it just for the playoffs, badminton has to find a way to make an entire season work. Across borders, with the interests of numerous federations and entire countries to consider.
    I think it is safe to say that the more money a sport has to implement measures, the safer the tournaments/games will most likely be. Since this is badminton we're talking about, we know where we will end up on the "safety"- scale. :D

Totally agree on the first part, not so much on the second. These simply aren't normal times and test-run tournaments, where the majority of the world elite can't (!) participate, can not be treated as such. The players, national associations and the BWF have to find solutions that leave no one behind.

I do, too. However, there will be no "normal" season for the foreseeable future, as the planning for the Asia Open tournaments already suggests. Thus, this tournament and the rankings can't be treated as normal, either.

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Evgenia is on a roll against zhang Beiwen.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Obviously, under such an impactful, rare and totally unexpected worldwide situation as a global pandemic, any action and decision made by any entity, whether individuals and organizations, can only be the best compromise based on give and take or else nothing gets done and then everybody loses.

Personally, I'd like to suggest BWF set up an ad hoc committee comprising generally acceptable representatives from the various stakeholders, mainly the players and sponsors (I should think the sponsors would expect a bigger weightage, after all, money talks in professional sports), perhaps with some input from well-known badminton fans (such as from BadmintonCentral and other fora, as well as sports writers?) before coming out with any major decisions and proposals with accompanying explanation and rationale before final implementation.

From the practical point of view, I would like to think that the proposed ad hoc committee I suggested make their decision-making process based not solely on the principles of pragmatism but also, as far as possible, taking into account the basic principle of Utilitarianism (the greatest happiness principle), and strike a balance. True, easier said than done, but BWF has to take the lead and the responsibility, who else? Right, extraordinary (desperate) times call for extraordinary (desperate) measures.

5. Cunning Linguist

I hope Steen stays on for the LS-HKV match. I'd love to hear his opinion on the kid.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, I managed to catch some of the action on youtube (no dedicated livestream?), so happened, he played well except for a couple of misjudgements at the back-and sidelines.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, I wouldn't take this tournament as an indication of the participant's form as most players have been out of real competition for so long, furthermore, not much is at stake here.

8. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Wow second game :eek::eek:

9. Cunning Linguist

The whole match is totally weird. But I think LS has now recovered, or was recovered by HKV. :D

10. Baddie lover

This match reminds me of lakshya vs christo last year Scottish open. Though lakshya won that match but christo deserved to win that .So many mistakes in today's second game. And third game was well deserved to HKV. That forehand hkv defence on Lakshya's smash was really great.

11. Cunning Linguist

It's a shame for Lakshya because he clearly lost his focus and played well below his capabilities, but I guess that is young age for you. He'll be royally mad at himself for a while and then he's going to learn from it.
    HKV was clearly struggling physically, but gave yet another warrior's performance and thoroughly deserved to go through. Really happy for him and JOJ.
    Did you agree with Steen regarding LS's attack, @Baddie lover ?

Sumanth99 likes this.
  12. Baddyforall

LS need to develop more skills from the back

13. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    [QUOTE="Cunning Linguist, post: 2792322, member: 134887"
    Did you agree with Steen regarding LS's attack, @Baddie lover ?[/QUOTE]

What did he say? May be I missed that

14. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I know this is fake account, but admin got balls

15. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Argh. I'd forgotten about her habit.

Shout. On. Every. Point.

*SMH*

Also, I'm fed up in general with the lack of variation in celebratory exclamations, can't we do better than "HO!", "HI!", and "HA!"?!

As a start I propose a good hearty "Yee-haw!"....

16. Baddie lover

Man I missed what he said about Lakshya's attack. All I can say is this was hard to watch haha. I mean he didn't play to his caliber in the second game doing so so many mistakes , quite uncharacteristic of him. He had the chance to capitalise on third game when he narrowed down the gap but I guess hkv did really well to down LS. Props to hkv that he didn't get exhausted in the final stages of the decider. Ahh, tough pill to swallow .

17. Baddyforall

HKV is known for his diving defence. Lakshya should have used more drop shots.
    Morten Frost Hansen your opinion please

#117 Baddyforall, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    He didn't play well in first game as well, it was lucky he won it.

19. Cunning Linguist

Yeah, it is. But look at other top players at that age. They had similar issues and 19 is really young in terms of men's singles badminton.

Steen said a couple of things, as far as I recall (I'm paraphrasing from memory here, don't blame Steen :D)

• the way HKV played showed that he wasn't really afraid of LS's attack
    • LS had trouble scoring points on his own with his setup and attack
    • His attack worked better when he took off the pace

Can't comment on the first point, because I'm not a badminton coach. :D
    The second I found a quite harsh, because he did put some smashes on the ground and has shown previously (All England, for example) that he can do that. The third I agree with. His sliced, slower and more precise shots are really good and they did a lot of damage to HKV. LS probably didn't use that enough. Ah, well. Let's hope the infection numbers in Germany don't continue on the (horrible) current path, and he can show his quality in Saarbrücken. The draw looks good.

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    without getting into detail surface contact is not an issue. as an example look at what the nba finals just did. how many players & referees were touching the same basketball repeatedly? you rarely touch the shuttle in badminton.

it makes sense to not want heavy breathing players approaching a service judge.