Weird knot

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by nameisTin, Sep 28, 2020.

1. nameisTin

nameisTin Regular Member

Can someone elaborate on this, please?
    [​IMG]

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Looks like a super ugly superduper bulky mess that you can hardly call a starter knot. It's not even tied around the anchor string but is held in place simply by its sheer size. God, I hate those.

3. nameisTin

nameisTin Regular Member

I’m having a really hard time looking for a good stringer where I live.
    I said goodbye to a previous stringer who made my order (Aerobite @25lbs) feel like a 22lbs job, so mushy and soft, maybe it’s because he did square tension on hybrid?
    And another one for slipping knot just after a few hours of play.
    This one is my friend’s racket...

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Have you considered becoming a stringer yourself? You only need a handful of friends and club mates and the machine and equipment will be paid off in no time. And there is no better feeling that entering the court with a self-strung racket and being in full control about that important part of your gear.

He gets a softer stringbed because he uses less tension than ordered, and/or has a miscalibrated machine, and/or is using a crank machine, and/or is using flying clamps... there are a lot of possibilities. If he did 25/25 lbs. square with Aerobite, this will not make a significant difference.

michael5098 and nameisTin like this.
  5. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

How much in average a stringing machine is in German? And the price to get a racket strung?

I considered to get 1 myself but for a digital machine, it starts from 1200€ and that's a no name brand. Yy victor and lining start around 3000€

With 1-1.5€ stringing job, it'll take 1200 rackets strung to get even. I know it's not all about business, ofc if you get 1, it means you wanna learn and pour your passion on it, I'm just saying the numbers.

nameisTin likes this.
  6. nameisTin

nameisTin Regular Member

I regret not seeing him string while I was waiting there, trusted him too much I supposed. I agree there are many variables, but I won’t be heading back there a second time though.
    I can’t get myself a stringing machine now, even though I would very much like to, it’s just way out of my budget.
    Maybe we can turn this thread into a string jobs overwatch, help others evaluate their stringer.

7. nameisTin

nameisTin Regular Member

Although it truly is self-satisfactory stringing one for yourself, money aside of course. We can pay attention to details, every knot, every shared hole and crossover,... it’s gonna make a huge difference financially restringing your own as well, considering long-term playing.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You seriously don't need a fancy electronic machine to get a high quality string job in the end. A decent drop weight machine (like Gamma X-6FC for example) is at around 500 EUR, so along with some tools you're good to go with a budget of 600 EUR maximum to get a high quality setup. Most stringers around here are charging somewhere between 15 to 20 EUR per job (string included), which makes a net profit of around 10-15 EUR depending on string type. So you'll have your 600 bucks returned within 60 jobs.

michael5098 and nameisTin like this.
  9. Derpington

Whoa that's expensive. Here stores don't use string rolls, so customers just buy strings from them and stringing is included. Common people use 66 ultimax mostly, it costs 7.5€

I however buy strings online which are way cheaper and pay for stringing job of 1-2€.

Yeah my stringer friend is persuading me to get a manual machine. I'm still considering and debating with myself. Which tools you referred should i decide to get a manual machine?

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Most machines come with a basic set of tools (pliers, cutter etc.) which are perfectly usable. Maybe you need a string mover, a starting clamp and/or a flying clamp to be flexible. But that's it basically. Just be very careful when you see those super low-cost machines since they are a lot of times very poorly built. A decent budget option would also be the Premium Stringer 3600 which is a very commom and widely spread machine at an entry level price point (~350 EUR).

Pricing is of course a regional thing and highly depends on local labour cost. If you only earn like 1-2 EUR per job, it'll be a different story to justify the purchase of a machine only looking at the financial side of things.

Derpington likes this.
  11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Above a post from you in the G-Tone 5 thread.

If you hold the quality of the jobs, YOU get against the price it's still a cheap in many ways and I don't mean only the price.

I can backup the numbers by @s_mair. Customers need to pay me 15€ including string and stringing, 10€ only stringing + 1€ for every 10 grommets changed including flaring. I used BG80 many years at high tension and can't complain about its durability, maybe you get old stock strings or fakes.

Beside the costs it's absolute lavish and luxory to have a own machine to string rackets whenever you want without leaving your house and respect any opening hours. I can't find a trusty stringer in my area, I need to travel and this two times. It gives me some headaches less and much higher quality jobs. If I had the access to somebody in my area who can string my rackets at the same quality as myself I wouldn't buy a machine and would pay.

12. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Looks a little bit like a fist with a raised middle finger.
    Maybe that's what the stringer thinks of his customers.:confused:

nameisTin, Derpington and s_mair like this.
  13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    With that imagination theres no way im showing you my old "2 bulges amd a tail" knot!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

nameisTin and endFX like this.
  14. Derpington

This could be the case, since not many players use bg80, mostly 66um. It happens to other local bg80 users too.

You're right. I think I'll start with a used manual machine and go my way up. I definitely can't use it for an investment but i figured it'll come very handy if i open a store later in the future (that's my dream)

Thank you for the advice @s_mair and @ucantseeme

nameisTin likes this.
  15. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

This sorta starter knots in a 4 piece method is very commonly used. It is effective but it does not tie around the mains to absorb or leverage some of the pressure during tensioning but as a stopper on the grommet and the area of the weak frame around it. At high tensions this is pretty risky.

16. nameisTin

nameisTin Regular Member

My friend asked for a 27lbs string job so it’s pretty risky, no doubt.
    I cut it already and paid for another string, at a different stringer, of course. Such a waste of a rather perfect string.

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

This kind of knot is also very popular in the Yonex stringing team. Yes, it is not tied around anything, but that's why it is used. So there is no risk that the knot damages the anchor string. But you're right, be careful at high tensions/thin strings, then you have to do a "good" knot that is thick enough to hold tension.

19. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

No way. 27lbs isn't high tension. This knot will (done properly) hold 27lbs without any problems.
    I did this knot at >30lbs. No problems.

Just try it;)

20. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

Yes without a doubt there won't be issues with holding it up as long as it is big enough. But without anchoring on the mains, it has massive pressure on the grommet and the frame since the hole is sucking it all up. Especially when the tie off is usually around the weaker areas of the frame. I have seen quite a couple caved in on such knots in high tension while it also depends on technique and frame strength. I can't really agree on the risk damaging the anchor main string as this only occurs during tie off for the inexperienced rather than a starter knot but i know some stringers would claim. Even if there is, risk damaging the anchor mains minimally vs damaging the frame, pick one.

nameisTin and s_mair like this.