Racket recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Tadas Ivanauskas, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

i really suggest that your daughter focus on her 2 weeks coming tournament for now & forget the thinking of getting new racket till she finish her tournament.
    After the tournament, borrow many other racket & let her have a test with it. Keep in mind that switching racket require adaptation/adjustment, so have her assess its power generation, manouverability, & feel. From there you will get abit of picture for what she like & dislike. After that you can start to look a racket that are close to her preference. Maybe aero frame instead of box frame, maybe heavier but balance or lighter but more head heavy.

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. Tadas Ivanauskas

Tadas Ivanauskas Regular Member

I do understand Your advise on not switching rackets for first tournament, but there will be another week later and one more two weeks later - I have written in original message that she will play every weekend starting from 22nd of August. And so far, despite I asked on racket advise, there is 0 suggestions on rackets from experience, from tech point, etc.
    When I got her AX55 in u11 ranking she was maybe Top30 (winter). Now she is top 3 and plays the game much more different.
    It would be ridiculous to change racket for tournament, this is obvious - i played basketball and tennis at national level and maybe I should have mentioned that then would get more advice on what I was asking and I lack experience and need advise on what 11-13 kids are using in your country, what they are playing with and most important why.
    I never switched sneakers for basketball or tennis racket for tournament as this is to obvious will not help even if you switch from wooden to top level graphite you will need time to get used to it.

So again really appreciate advise on stringing, etc, but would be realy grateful if i could receive advise on what I was asking because logical things can be reminded but that is already discussion about NOT SWITCH RACKET BEFORE TOURNAMENT not ADVISE ON SWITCHING RACKET. Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I think you got quite a lot of advise in regards to your initial question. From what I can see, there has been zero opinions indicating that a change of rackets will bring her any significant improvements short term. Lowering the string tension and/or go for a maximum repulstion string like Aerosonic will give her more benefit. Again, the AX55 is imo a really, really good choice for a kid in her position that will not be limiting her in terms of developing her game. Don't let people drag you (and her) into that better-racket-better-game spiral that so many of us are stuck. She will have plenty of time for that in the coming years. ;)

Apart from that, it never hurts to have her trying other rackets from friends or mates in her training group every now and then. If there is a racket that she will click with immediately, she will tell you. My bet: it will the one with the prettiest colors.

4. Tadas Ivanauskas

English is not my native language, so maybe here is again misunderstanding. I appreciate advise on stringing down, etc, but.. there is 5+ advises on not to do anything and 0 recommendations on rackets based on given info... honestly I mentioned tournament just to tell she is training a lot, participating a lot and We might switch racket after month, two or xmas we will see, but her friends and competitors are using some strange equipment in my opinion duora z strike, ax88s/d etc., and I was hoping to receive couple advise on models that i have time to find and test with my daughter on one or another weekend when we play with her. And also I know racket are individual player to player but to take 50 to try is stupid same as try to smell 50 fragrance in perfume shop...

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Now you've lost me. You weren't really asking for racket suggestions in your OP but for "advise and background information". And that's what you got. Plenty of.

In case you have already decided that you want to buy her a new racket (which is fully your choice to make of course) then I would go for a 4U, medium flex and even to slightly head heavy racket or an even balanced 3U at maximum. The frame type (aero, boxy or whatever) doesn't matter at all. So choices are pretty much endless which makes it impossible to make a suggestion from the outside. One potential canditate checking all the boxes would be the AX55... soooo.... we are back at the "stick with it". Or -again- have her play with as many rackets as possible and see what happens.

Some stiff and/or head heavy stuff clearly is the wrong choice for a kid at her age since it will only raise the risk of injury. There will be ZERO benefit for her game at this stage.

ucantseeme and Tadas Ivanauskas like this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Maybe this approach would be much more helpfull than giving suggestion now.

Have your daughter have a test from fellow badminton on court. Ask her how she feel for each racket she try & then come back here & tell us the story.
    No need for you to try thousand racket, but well, more data is always better than just 1 data which is AX55.

But whatever the choice if you insist, considering AX55 spec & her age, i would avoid
    1. 3U racket.
    2. 4U racket but excesive head heavy.
    3. Stiff racket.

So any 4U, mid flex (3/5), & BP290-300 would be good choice to start with.

Tadas Ivanauskas likes this.
  7. Tadas Ivanauskas

Thnx. Maybe My question structure was wrong and it surely was not “change now” idea. Appreciate

8. Tadas Ivanauskas

Thank You for the advise. Really appreciate that!

9. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Change strings, someone mentioned BG66um which has good repulsion power. Lower the tension by 1lbs and see if she is still struggling to clear. The racket is fine for her age, anything heavier or stiffer would be pointless. AX55 seems to have pretty balance specs and ideal for improving kids. 4u mid flex mid-slight head heavy balance.

Changing strings is like playing with a new racket without having to re-learn the swing and feeling of the racket frame. Win-win. Add a new grip while you are at it if it's worn out.

Better to spend $20 on new strings + grip and see if that helps than spend $100+ on a new racket that may not help at all. Especially since it's more likely the new strings and grip will bring better results than a completely new racket

#29 seanc6441, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    fixed. :D

#30 ucantseeme, Aug 4, 2020
    s_mair likes this.
  11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Maybe they are all customers of the shop/your stringer which got all wrong advice. Just see your daughter with the maniac tension for 10 yo. Who says that they all use the right equipment or play at their peak?
    I play at a quite large club and the number of ZFII and Duo-ZS owner is much much higher than my impression of players who can really wield it. Out of 5 ZFII users there is only one whose smash I would fear. I string for 3 junior teams at the age of 10-18yo and only the older boys use something above 10kg, but not even close to 12kg.

#31 ucantseeme, Aug 4, 2020
    s_mair and Tadas Ivanauskas like this.
  12. Tadas Ivanauskas

Thnx mate!!!

13. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Hello, wanting to ask some questions but i dont think i should make a new thread so i'll just comment it here
    Which racket specs do you guys think will have a more powerful smash? Assuming the user can generate the power. 4U Head Heavy racket or 3U Even Balance - Slightly HH ( Ex : 4U VTZFII , 4U AX99 , Fortius 10P etc & 3U DZS , 3U 88S , 3U ARS90K etc )
    Do you just follow the numbers on swing weight to determine which more powerful? Or maybe head weight etc? ( Lets say we are talking generally and we ignore stiffness, frame shape etc )

14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

the one that have the highest sum of value of swing speed & swing weight.
    To heavy wont benefit you as it will slow you down yet to light also wont give you any more speed. You wont be a hulk that can throw a car easily or the Flash for super speed swing.
    Other than that, for more complicated stuff, stiffness & tension also affect the power generation.
    Simply said, when all play in sync with your swing speed & strength, it will give you the best output.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If I imagine myself standing next to court in a couple of years when one of my girls is playing and I spot her opponent wielding a DZS or a ZF2 (god forbid..), or hearing a 1100+ Hz ping I would be smiling on the inside (and on the outside too probably) cause I would be sure that this will be only a crystal clear disadvantage for her. Kids plain and simply are lacking the physical strength and preferences to accelerate a racket enough to make a stiff shaft or tight strings properly bend during a stroke to actually "make it work". With preferences, I mean that due to the shorter limbs, the racket head will travel less distance during a swing which automatically limits the possible head speed.

Seriously, don't let anyone fool you on that matter (who is most likely only after selling some expensive rackets...). It's biology and physics and you cannot cheat both of them really. It's all about finding a racket/strings combination that offers the best possible support to your daughter to achieve good length in her shots - meaning that she is able to bend the shaft during a swing and cause the shuttle to sink into the stringbed enough to cause repulsion.
    Cause bottom line, a good length will be the deciding factor in the vast majority of matches at that stage. If she's able to push her opponents to the back of the court or get herself out of trouble with a good long clear, that's the foundation for everything else imo.

visor, Sumanth99, sp00k and 1 other person like this.