Racket recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Tadas Ivanauskas, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Tadas Ivanauskas

Tadas Ivanauskas Regular Member

Hello,
    will highly appreciate on racket advise for my daughter. 10 Years, training 5-7 per week, I would say intermediate level. On her personal choice I bought AX55 for her, but as her game improved a lot most of coaches and other people say it is wrong choice for her. And here starts the hard one...Advise from coaches are quite contra: one one side says she has to go Arc11 or AX88s/d (3u or 4u not specified) on other side is even balanced/flexible rackets N9II, TC75, TC50, TC40, Auraspeed 30h, 50, drive x5hd, duora 7,55,77.

In any case I have to make a move as she is going to tournaments starting in 2 weeks and probably will play weekend to weekend and must have pair (at least of same rackets) in my opinion. She is playing singles and WD.

Thnx in advance for advises with some background/explanations :D

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Have you ever talked to your daughter what's her impression? If your daughter feels comfortable and well with her current racket on court, I wouldn't give a damn what her coaches say.

IMO she plays with a 4U midstiff racket. At this age absolute okay, if I count in her level and training schedule. The AX55 has G5 which is excellent for children.

It's also quite late to change a racket two weeks before tournaments start. I would ask my daughter how she feel with her current racket and if the answer is "great, I love it" I would ignore coaches. It's a big mistake that coaches try to force people to buy a special racket type. If she use a ZFII I would agree that this is the wrong choice, but her current racket is close to some of the mentioned ones and quite neutral with the bonus of G5 for small hands.

Yanuar Aditya likes this.
  3. Tadas Ivanauskas

She will play with whatever You give to her, as she is really focused and motivated. Why I raised this question is that time to time she bit complaints about lack of power to hit constant defensive clears and smashes. And maybe, I wrote not clear, it is not that coaches push towards smth it is just recomendation after question, but advises are so different that I am confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    What's her tension and string?

5. Tadas Ivanauskas

10/10,5kg and I ask stringer to confirm, but as far as I remember it was Zymax 66 or 66power

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just out of interest - why would they say that it is the "wrong" racket for her?

My personal opinion: She is 10 years old and highly motivated. Just give her a racket that doesn't increase injury risk (so stiff and/or head heavy) and that she feels good with. All those minor differences in racket specs matter slim to none at this state of her badminton carreer.

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

does your daughter had multiple coach?
    If the other advice is from other player even if they are coach themself, well i think better to listen her own coach. Why? How often they look at your daughter, follow her progress? Ofcourse her own coach will know better than the rest.
    But at the end of the day, its your daughter her self that can say which one feel better. We can give advice any racket based on our experience but what we feel will never be the same as others feel.

And for short 2 week, i think its a very bad idea to switch racket. Even if its a great racket that fit to your daughter physical/style/everything, she still need time to adjust/adapt with the new racket & wont be like equip new weapon & all stat change accordingly.

Stay with current racket & after the tournament, start to experiment with other different racket by borrowing others player racket if possible/allowed.

Tadas Ivanauskas likes this.
  8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    drop by 0,5kg and switch to a more repulsive string (like BG66UM) will help more than a new racket. Even the boys I trained at 12yo never played with something past 10kg.

9. Tadas Ivanauskas

This is opinion of coaches and club members when asked, to light to generate power.

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    As long as your daughter can accelarate this mass it's fine. Ask 10 people and you will get 11 opinions. The AX55 is around 39-40g head weight wet and this is perfect at this age.

IIRC wasn't you also the guy whose stringer strung the racket too high for your daughter?

Tadas Ivanauskas likes this.
  11. Tadas Ivanauskas

Same guy, different stringer

12. Tadas Ivanauskas

Sorry it is my mistake it is UM at 11,5/12kg

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

12kg is too high for a 10yr old I think.

As a separate note, don't buy her 88S/D or anything that stiff. I think kids need to develop their bodies first before using such demanding racquets

ucantseeme likes this.
  14. Tadas Ivanauskas

Clear, I was following recomendation of going up 0.5kg each time till she says it is too harda and then go back one step. but will keep this in mind

15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'm not sure if this is actually good advice. This assumes someone wants to play at their tension limit, but that could be detrimental to power because higher tension = lower power

16. Tadas Ivanauskas

Yes, I know and do agree, but I also assume that for kid who loves the game it is hard to distinguish the difference, the only correct way, in my opinion, is to have 2 identical racquets with same strings at different tension and then judge what fits better.

llrr likes this.
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Drop to 10kg and the power issues will be fixed. Even not every grown man can use 12kg.

18. Tadas Ivanauskas

Will do. One more question what you would think oh JetSpeed S08NE?

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think you will get nearly the same as the Astrox55. Jetspeed S08NE is a midstiff 4U racket, at around 39/40g headweight wet. Only difference is the frame (box vs. aero). IMO you don't get something different. Do you have 2 Astrox55? I recommend to string 10kg and the racket will perform very different. Lacking power, consistent hitting and so on come from a too tight string bed.

20. Tadas Ivanauskas

I just got offer from forum member for 2 x S08ne for same money as Astrox 55 1pcs and this is the reason why I considered asking here.