Covid-19 SIP Racket Stringing videos, let's learn together!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kakinami, May 5, 2020.

1. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Higher

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

2. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I am sharing below video on how Mark Lawrence string the racket. Enjoy the video!

3. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    25 lbs on NF800 using the method 24 lbs on mains and 26 lbs on crosses.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I go by feeling only and actually have never measured the real value. I just measured in on an Adidas A2 that I'll be stringing later today and ended up with a value of somewhere around ~1.5 mm. So it seems as if the visual impression was bigger that it actually is. Also, let's put this 1-2 mm in the right perspective. The head of that A2 measures a total length of ~250 mm. So even 2 mm stretch is less than 1% of the total length which is basically nothing for a flexible material like carbon fibre. I'm sure the head deforms significantly more during an actual stroke.

I'm not saying that it is a must to stretch the head slightly to achieve a good shape in the end, but for me it ensures that the supports are all tightened enough. To catch the exact moment when a support touches the frame and all the play in the mechanics is gone, but still without any deformation to the frame is damn tough to do every time.

The gap is created because of the frame being pulled deeper into the load spreader at 12 o'clock. Check it out on your machine, you will see the 6 o'clock support becoming loose once you've pulled the first two mains (and the tension is still on the string after pulling the second main!). A thing I really don't like at any phase of a string job is any sort of play between the frame and the supports. Cause to actually give some support, there has to be contact.

#84 s_mair, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    ucantseeme likes this.
  5. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    So it is actually less. Thanks for the clarification.
    As you said the visual impression is maybe a bit misleading.
    Percentage based it might not be much, yet if the racket was off by 2mm after stringing you still wouldn't like it, even if that's less then 1%.;)

Definitely will investigate the 6 support more...

6. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Funny that Mark is doing it different than Tim Willis. So which one is the official Yonex instruction?
    Example: Request is 26 lbs.
    - Mark: 25/27 2PBU with last 5 crosses same as mains (25).
    - Tim: 26/28,6 2PBU with last 5 crosses same as mains (26). He even goes to rounding up if your machine only does single pounds. That makes it 26/29

My biggest question was always: Why going bottom up or top down? It evidently had to do with the strenght of the frame and some say also the building up of tension upwards or downwards plays a factor. In the recent Zoom call with Paul Stewart Tim said the bottom part of the frame is weakest, therefore going bottom up. Now Mark says the upper part of the frame is the weakest and that's the reason why for the last 5 crosses they drop tension equal to mains.

I'm getting a bit confused here. Arguably two of the most experienced and knowledgable stringers, both from the same Yonex stringing team nonetheless, are saying opposite things and stringing differently.

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I did hear Mark Lawrence say the top is the most weakest, I believe he didn't mean that i think it was more to the point of weakest referring to most prone place to break if a collision occurs. I am sure Tim and Mark agree that the bottom of the frame is the weakest that is why we go bottom up. That video looks like a one take deal giving his thoughts as he strings a racket, no script, first thoughts, I am sure that came out wrong ad he spoke. As for all the other stuff I am not sure I haven't worked with a Yonex stringer in 8 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thyrif and tjiew like this.
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

The reason why Yonex goes bottom up, in 2005 a stringer at the World Championships was stringing top down. A Korean player requested a tension of 34 and stringing those rackets he broke 3 in a row. He wad then told to go bottom up and no problem. I believe that is when Yonex required all badminton rackets go bottom up. I also heard there was a problem at the 2005 All England's, but I was not there.

kwun, ucantseeme, thyrif and 2 others like this.
  9. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I always did 12.2kg / 12.8 kg with 6 oclock adjustment before, but measured it the other day (couple months old string) and it was about 0.5 mm longer and 1.5mm less wide than an unstrung racket I have.

Some of these theories seem conflicting so there is only one answer: LETS SCIENCE THE **** OUT OF IT!

So, I will be conducting an experiment, and I would like you guys' input so to have the most useful result.

What I want to find out: how do these affect the shape of a racket:
    1. I did not hear or see the yonex guys adjust the 6 o clock support after the first main, but a lot here do it. What does it do for the shape of the racket?
    2. 10% cross but not the top 5 crosses
    3. ...?

I have 4 ax99's available to string. One is strung but is nearly breaking already.

Method:
    I will be measuring with a 300mm caliper, the length of the racket in the middle of the mains, and the width at three points (as to also see the 5 cross influence). At three moments: before stringing, right after stringing, after 48 hours.
    Perhaps I should also play them, and see which feels better.
    All rackets will be strung with GT5 mains and 62Fire crosses.

I think I need to do at least the following test cases:
    1. Square 28 (the control)
    2. Square 28 with 6 oclock adjustment
    3. 28/31 with last 5 crosses 28
    4. Still available
    Obviously the 28/31 will be tighter, so this will be purely focused on the shape.

What else would you like to see from this experiment?

Thoughts:
    I'm not breaking a lof of crosses, but the reverse top 3 crosses seem intersting.
    Results may depend on the machine supports. I will be using my Superstringer T20 with Chudek supports. Which I would say is a decently sturdy dropweight machine for these margins, but an electronic one would perhaps be more accurate. I couldn't happen to borrow yours, s_mair? :p
    Also, why is a load spreader only used at the top? Surely at the bottom would also help prevent damage, at least at high tensions?

Probably make a little video about it? But I'm not sure it will add anything besides the results posted here. It may be people find it more easily.

#89 thyrif, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    endFX, tjiew and ucantseeme like this.
  10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I heard nearly the same story from a stringer who strung at sudirman cup at the same time around. EDIT: It was Sudirman Cup in 2003

The shape over time x. I made the experience that the shape right off the machine, settled string after 3 days and first 2-3 sessions is not always the same. Since the mains are longer the have the potential to loose more tension. IMO a shape over some time is better than a one moment measurment.

#90 ucantseeme, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  11. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    For no. 7, try main 28lbs(constant pull), cross 28lbs( 10% PS pull).

12. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I have a right after and a 48 hours measurement planned, as already in the post. A 96 hour could be added.
    After playing would perhaps also be interesting!

I have a dropweight, so prestretch isn't easily possible unfortunately. I'll probably buy a wise in a few years, not now, I need to buy a house first.

kakinami, ucantseeme and tjiew like this.
  13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

AK String Pattern hope you like

Asmo, kwun, Fidget and 4 others like this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Great clip. So you haven’t changed anything from the pattern you were using in your big tutorial clip a little while back, right? Except that you are now increasing the tension right before the knot.

Anyhoo, this has become the blueprint for when I have to use a 2-piece pattern. Looks a lot neater than the standard Yonex one due to the shorter tie-offs and starter at the bottom. And I love how you care about the details to always get a hard weave (not a hard-on, you pervs!) on the lower crosses. And as we have seen on pictures, at least one stringer from the Yonex squad at the 2019 WC was also a follower of the AK-cult...

kakinami, Fidget, tjiew and 1 other person like this.
  15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @kakinami is for me a master stringer. Alan, hopefully I get the chance once in my life to get a stringing job from you! :)

s_mair and kakinami like this.
  16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Sorry no master here only a master debator minus the de. Arigato for the thought but a master knows everything, I am still learning so how you like dem apples.

17. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Sorry Alan, I think you must accept that you are a master stringer :D Also a master can learn something!

The tie offs of the mains on B9 are very neat, also the tie off of the cross on B8. Looks very very tidy.
    But here in Germany you lose the warranty for Yonex rackets if you not string as they suggest in their stringing instructions. And if you send them unstrung frames, they normally refuse it, if you don't have good connections. Other manufacturers are more accommodating. So I try to string every frame the same.

Do you always use the knot function on the last main? Or only up to a certain weight?
    I personally don't like to pull the last two mains separately. I've seen a lot of frames (only Yonex Nano* and some fake rackets) where the string is sunken into the frame (as you also posted in Facebook -> Link). All these frames have been strung by someone else. It never happened to me, but had to deal to string the broken racket anyway.
    I took some pictures of one and how I "fixed" it:
    IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1620.jpg IMG_1622.jpg
    It was a leather pad (from Tennis). The racket lasted another year and two restrings.

kakinami and tjiew like this.
  18. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

For when I tie off now I use knot function, in Japan I am not stringing more than 30 mostly 18-26 rarely I see 30. Probably if I was stringing above 33 I might just add 2 pounds for my knot. I believe Yonex USA is the same way with warranty knot placement has to be in Yonex warranty spot, but in US most people string over recommend tensions. Pulling last 2 individually, 1: it helps me do my pattern my clamps are on top out of my way so I can do my first 2 crosses. 2: I don't think I am stringing at high tensions, so having full tension in all my mains is what I am used to, no problems on my end so if it ain't broke, then don't bother fixin' it.

tjiew likes this.
  19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Humbleness is the sign of a real master. :p

kakinami likes this.
  20. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Badminton guide the guys that do the racket comparison videos uploaded some stringing videos the last few days that might be of interest. From what I can tell as a novice stringer it looks like a pretty unusual pattern they use. It seems similar to haribito but some differences. They make some pretty bold claims about how good it is as you can see in the thumbnail.

They made 2 videos one that they say is recommended for home stringers. Not sure what the difference is exactly I haven't analyzed it in detail and it looked the same to me. They also uploaded another video showcasing how they string a 6u racket at 36 pounds even going up to 39 on some crosses and prestretch at 43!