Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

and yet GohTan cant do anything to Minions.

so yeah in the end only number of titles matter. Even if Endo only wins 2SS, AE is the biggest title in his career and that is big. He could have actually won 1 more if not for losing in 2018 SF against BoeMo. could have had 5 overall.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yeah because Sukamuljo's speed of thought troubles the Malaysian pair.

But Yuta/Endo remain unfazed by speed and are only susceptible to power and mid court flat exchanges.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Um.. It's more about the angle and the variation of the attack I think rather than the power in term of smashes for Marcus. He tends to keep smashing to the same direction repetitively especially when he is under the pressure. Usually in slow halls.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Goh's defense is not that great, that's why.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I wonder if ChinaOpen will go on as scheduled? or will China MD have to wait for another year? 20 years mistery must be the biggest mystery in sports.., that is basically 20 tries.

6. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

I agree that it's not about sheer power but the angle/placement of the smashes that make the Japanese seemingly unbothered by Gideon's smashes. That's why they tend to struggle more against Goh/Tan and the daddies. Another factor would be that they match the minions in speed of movement - hence why Kevin's "wizardry" isn't as effective against them. Steen had an interesting point similar to this in the Dubai Superseries Finals 2017 when they faced kamura and sonoda and lost.

Another thing that hurts them not only against Yuta/Endo but also Choi/Seo and Zhang Nan is the fact that neither of these players get baited and try to drive through Kevin when below tape height. Instead they play a controlled game looking for open spaces looking to neutralize. If you look at Goh/Tan (Goh especially) you see that he drives everything which basically is suicide against minions, hence one of their reasons for their bad record against them

rhoder, Nine Tailed Fox and samkool like this.
  7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I hope Minions can win AsianGames again that will be held in China 2022. Winning at home is nice but its not as nice as winning in Korea/China . Maybe Final against LiLiu. Nothing beats that feeling ,like AhsanHendra winning at Korea AG2014 beating the Final & SF Korean Pair. When Ahsan won WC2013, he celebrated it looks like disbelief but when he won AG2014 its like pure joy knowing that you wont be able to win it again most likely. Apart from AE2019, never see Hendra celebrated points like the last points of AG14 and thats as fr as he goes.

8. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Oh a sneak peek of Kevin's house and medals... but "Medals and five beloved women of Kevin Sanjaya"???
    What kind of title is this :D:D:D:D

WARNING of cuteness overload at the end of the video call.... AWww...

Just in case anybody is curious of what being said in the video, just a rough translation

P(resenter) : There are so many request to have a content of Kevin with Kuy

K(evin) : Haha I suppose that means many people appreciate it

--

P : So 5 activities you do during this covid pandemic?
    K : Well.. playing games, doing some training like sit ups, push ups, back ups etc..

P : What have you started to do just after this lockdown?
    K : I even cooked because I had too much free time haha.

P : What's the menu?
    K : Steak, egg..

P : I heard you learn to cut your hair?
    K : Yeah, but I over did it when I tried.

P : Give us the preview
    K : See? It's too thin.

---

P : Do you have your medals in your house? Can you show us your medals?
    K : Sure.. let me go up (to medal room). There you go.

P : Five favorite medals
    K :
    1. SSF Dubai Series.
    2. Three AE medals, but one is silver.
    3. Asian Games medal , 1 gold and 1 bronze.
    4. Indonesia Open and Indonesia Masters 2018 and 2019.. but I forgot where I put them..:p

---

P : Do you still train during pandemic?
    K : Yeah, of course I am still training everyday. It's just 40% of the intensity though. Just to maintain my form and keep the "feel"

P: What things do you carry with you in your training bag?
    K : (Showing bag contents) What I always bring with me is definitely rackets. Change clothes. Shoes. Scissors. Nail Clipper. And a mini Rosario. These are what usually in my training bags.

P: What's you ritual before matches?
    K : The only thing that I always do is pray usually before I enter the court after warming up.

P: Are there any songs you listen to or anything like that?
    K: Nah.. I am not into that. I just pray.

P: Five food or drinks on "Cheat Day"
    K: Whoa.. (1) instant noodles (2) KFC hahhaha

P: What else? Drinks like soda?
    K: Yeah..I drink soda too I quite like it. Well I sometimes eat sweet things like dessert when I cheat..

P: What was the last one you ate?
    K: Oh yeah. Martabak*! I like to eat Martabak at night. That's what I do when I cheat.

(*Martabak : Super fatty and cholesterol-full Indonesian style pancake. Ingredients : Lots of margarine, lots of sugar, lots of egg, flour, lots of crushed peanut and chocolate fillings. You can never go wrong with those :D. Why not add some ice cream on top? Pheww.. and usually people eat them at night lol Talk about stocking fat in your body.
    I prefer the grated cheese fillings btw )

---

P : Vin, 5 favorite Indonesian athletes?
    K : 1. Shawn (**Who?? Did I spell his name right?) 2. Taufik Hidayat 3. Sigit Budiarto 4. Hendra Setiawan 5. Zohri

P: Okay before I end the call, five Indonesian Celebrity crush?
    K: 1. A 2.B 3.C 4. Sophia La-something 5. E
    :)D:D LOL I have no idea who those females are... I can only say they are Indonesian Celebrities. I only know the forth one, heard of her, Sophia something I think her name is..)

---

ALERT <<<<This is my favorite part>>>> :D:D:D
    P: Oh you have a dog there? What's the name?
    K: Moana
    (Aaaawwww.. so cuuutee)

P: Okay, Thank you Kevin
    K: You're welcome

#6209 yuquall, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Baddie lover likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

BWF has announced that the Tokyo qualification will resume next year right about where they left off. Which means that minions are confirmed of their in Tokyo. With Ahsan/Hendra if PBSI doesn't change their mind.

Incidentally, WC will also be held in late 2021 months after the OG. We had been talking about what minions' fate would be after 2020, whether they would still go on for another WC or would be split up right after 2020 for Kevin to have a new partner in preparation of OG 2024. I think we can be certain that minions will have another go of WC 2021 and hopefully they will medal in both events.

What about after? There is AG in 2022 with minions as the defending champion. According to a coach in PB Djarum, he hinted that there was a probability that Marcus would retire (from minions) after Tokyo. But that all is just talks and speculations.

Honestly, I think it could be really tough for Marcus to keep his form till he is 33.. though we see some older players have shown that age is just a number.

11. sen

sen Regular Member

P : Vin, 5 favorite Indonesian athletes?
    K : 1. Shawn (**Who?? Did I spell his name right?) 2. Taufik Hidayat 3. Sigit Budiarto 4. Hendra Setiawan 5. Zohri

Sean Gelael, not Shawn. Race car driver

yuquall likes this.
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Exclusive interview with Marcus Fernaldi Gideon by CNN Indonesia.
    What his early life was, how he started know and partner Kevin, and personal questions like which one is more nervous for him, waiting for his wife to give birth or All England final :D:D. It was a fun read. Hope you enjoy,

Source : https://www.cnnindonesia.com/olahra...m_content=cnnindonesia&utm_campaign=cmssocmed

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
    Marcus Gideon: There is no secret becoming world's no.1 double player

[​IMG]
    Marcus Fernaldi Gideon with Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo has succeeded becoming Men's doubles WR1 for years. (CNN Indonesia/Adhi Wicaksono)

Duet Kevin/Marcus has been the top favorite in the last three BWF tournament series. The consistency of 'Minions' has made them unshaken at the top of the world ranking for quite some time.

Q : As a son of a then player [Kurniahu, National player in the 80s] now a coach, how did your father train you?
    A: Badminton had been introduced to me since the beginning, As a national player, my father had a high expectation of his children. The training has to be harder, and more than the others.

[​IMG]
    Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Marcus Fernaldi Gideon. (Dok. Humas PBSI)

Q : How was your childhood life?
    A: I spent most of my life on badminton courts, and the sports store was just next to the hall, so I was there all the time. I went straight to the court after school, when I was done I waited in the store till night.

Q: Do you have a different career goal beside a badminton player?
    A: I didn't have any other else, I just wanted to be a badminton player. I even skipped training a lot after school hahaha..

Q: Did you father get upset often?
    A: At first I got scolded often because I lost more than I won, both in training and in tournaments. As parents, they must have high expectation. And if it didn't go as expected, I got scolding. Sometimes even though I had the scolding on court, I still had it at home.
    Ever since I was little, I quite cried a lot, including after losing matches.

Q: Have you ever felt frustrated being an athlete?
    A: I certainly have, but I had already chosen to become a badminton player, so I was determined to keep on trying. The deadline was until the National selection. If I failed, then I would go to college, but I ended up joining the National camp.

Q: You have played in Singles and Doubles. Have you ever felt disappointed to just play in doubles?
    A: I wasn't disappointed in double category. I won the national championship three times in doubles, while I have only won once in Singles. So I had more chances in double.

Q: Who was the senior you feared when you first joined the National camp?
    A: [Mohammad] Ahsan, because he was quite stern. There were more seniors back then, but now we don't really have any senior-junior thing. I felt terrified if I saw a senior, if they walked passed me, I would have taken a different path.

Q : How was the experience of duet with Markis Kido?
    A: I have learned a lot from him. Someone who was senior way above me. When I was still in the club he had won many tournaments. I learned many things from it [partnering with Kido]

Q: Did you feel lost after being separated from Kido?
    A: I usually have made my own plans, like for example when I quit the National camp. At that time I had a plan already. [When split with Kido] I talked with Chafidz [Yusuf, Men's double assistant coach]. There was a vacancy in the National camp.

Q: When did you first know Kevin before partnering him?
    A: I didn't know him that well because he hadn't joined the National camp when I was there. He just joined the camp after I quit. I only started to know him after we were paired together.

Q: So you hadn't known him yet when you played against him in final Singapore International 2011?
    A: We didn't even know each other that time.

Q: When you first paired with Kevin, how did you see him?
    A: Kevin was indeed good even back then. He joined the national camp early too [in young age]. His skill is good, above average.

Q: Did you feel sure that you will have a success partnering Kevin since the start?
    A: In the beginning, it is important to feel confident and optimistic that you will be success in the future.

Q: The hardest time for duet Kevin/Marcus?
    A: We hadn't had any idea how to play with each other. At the beginning of the partnership we couldn't click just yet. It was pretty hard back then, but gradually we started to grasp on how, keep on discussing, and things started to get better.

Q: Which tournament was the turning point?
    A: Champion of Taipei GPG, Malaysia GPG then defeating Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong, after that we felt quite confident enough.

Q: What is the secret behind the success of becoming the world's number one pair?
    A: There is no secret. Always training at maximum. It's one of God's blessing too as it's not easy to keep no.1 position. There are more pressure and getting more difficult when you are at the top.

Q: Koh Herry [MD coach] once said that you were one of the player who train maximally and hard in training. What do you think?
    A: I like doing things at maximum. So if I fail, I won't regret it because you can't turn back the time. So if I fail, I just need to do some evaluation but not regret.

[​IMG]
    Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo berstatus ganda putra nomor satu dunia. (CNN Indonesia/Andry Novelino)

Q: Biggest regret in badminton world?
    A: I don't have yet any regret in badminton field. Everything is okay. Every failure will become the process for a better future. From failures, we lean how to deal with the future.

Q: Why hasn't Kevin/Marcus yet been able to be the World Champion?
    A: Maybe we are not lucky yet. World Championship's venue is different all the time. Sometimes we haven't gotten the feel nor gotten the control of the venue condition.

Q: Any weaknesses that you need to work on?
    A: There are still many weaknesses, we need to keep maintaining our focus. We have to be more focused and be more prepared in every tournament.

Q: What happened with the consecutive losses from Hiroyuki Endo/Yuta Watanabe?
    A: They are good in defense. In our last encounter, we almost won. We could get a lead, but failed to make it our win. Just not our sustenance yet. Endo/Yuta isn't a pair that's easy to be killed. Yuta is a fast and agile player.

Q: The Olympics is getting postponed and you will be 30 years old next year. How do you see it?

A: I don't see any different. There are more senior players than me, including Ahsan/Hendra. There are even older European or Chinese players. Matches nowadays weren't as exhausting as they were with the 15 points format.
    My physical condition is still good and the most important thing is not to sustain any injury.

Q: When will you retire?
    A: As long as I can still play and give a good result, I want to keep on playing.

Q: Which one is more nerve wrecking, waiting your wife in labor or All England Final?
    A: All England 2017 Final was much more nervy. Because at that time we had never entered a big tournament and won it. I was so nervous before the final and had trouble sleeping. During the labor I only waited for a bit because it was birth by cesarean.

Q: Which one is more tiring, physical training or overnight babysitting?
    A: Badminton training is more tiring to me. Looking after my son is tiring, but it may only reduce your sleeping time. Not sweating like you do in training.

Q: The meaning and the hope of giving Marcus Fernaldi Gideon Jr. for the son?
    A: The hope is so he can be better than his father. So he can be more successful than his father.

Q: How is the travel leaving your son and wife behind to play tournaments?
    A: I don't worry too much because my wife is a doctor, so she knows what needed to do.

Q: Is your father still getting upset watching your game?
    A: No, because I have joined the National camp. That's actually good enough for his expectation.

Q: How many scores will you give your career journey so far?
    A: 10. I am satisfied with my career journey so far.

Q: How is the training during this Corona pandemic without any certain Tournament's schedule this far?
    A: As I enjoy the activities I do, so I am happy to keep training rather than having nothing to do at home. I hope everything will be over soon and and be back to normal.

Taehee and Baddie lover like this.
  13. Baddie lover

My favourite answer.
    This one too. Nice interview.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

A challenge from Kevin in lockdown.

Taehee likes this.
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

139 shot rallies Minions vs KamuraSonoda in GZ2019 G218-17, is that the longest MD rally?

There were also long rallies in Dubai2017 but cant remember going for that long.. its either this or there are 160+ shot rallies ...

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The new BWF tournaments scheduled is out and I must say it's hardcore to say the least:rolleyes:

I will list the tournaments Super 500++ that minions would likely to participate in here:

Sep 15-20 : VICTOR China Open 2020 (Super 1000)
    Sep 22-27 : DAIHATSU YONEX Japan Open 2020 (Super 750)
    ---- one week off ---
    Oct 03-11 : TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020
    Oct 13-18 : DANISA Denmark Open 2020 (Super 750)
    Oct 20-25 : YONEX French Open 2020 (Super 750)

---- one week off ---
    Nov 03-08 : Fuzhou China Open 2020 (Super 750)
    Nov 10-15 : YONEX-SUNRISE Hong Kong Open 2020 (Super 500)
    Nov 17-22 : BLIBLI Indonesia Open 2020 (Super 1000)
    Nov 24-29 : CELCOM AXIATA Malaysia Open 2020 (Super 750)
    Dec 01-06 : TOYOTA Thailand Open 2020 (Super 500)
    Dec 08-13 : YONEX-SUNRISE India Open 2020 (Super 500)
    Dec 16-20 : HSBC BWF World Tour Finals 2020

They only have a total of two weeks off in between and they were pretty much after one another till the end of the year.... With so many titles to defend, it's going to be really really tough for minions, not so sure how the ranking would be after BWF unfreeze it later. What a shame as they could have had a lot more number of weeks additional to their WR1 duration.

On a side note, I would love to be able to go to JO again this year if circumstances allow. But I heard from my Japanese friend that they have no plan to open their international border yet. It might happen in September, and I can only imagine the price of the flight tickets and accommodations.. uff..

17. Taehee

Taehee Regular Member

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Gawsh, I miss those jerseys.. :confused:

In this match and this tournament FO 2018, Marcus was being pretty decisive and quick at the front despite one or two misses. I wonder if the lost against Han/Zhou in final had affected his confidence afterward.

19. Baddie lover

yuquall likes this.
  20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member