Benefits of Triathlon training for badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, May 15, 2020.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Ok si I'm still working on a schedule but I liked @speCulatius 'suggestion to work on a 10 day schedule. And instead of fitting 3 badminton sessions a week, I'd fit 3 every 10 days. Obviously each session should be more meaningful with specific areas to work on and played wholeheartedly. No more social games or fun sessions at my local club (I would only play at 1 club, the more competitive one instead of 2).

As for triathlon I would focus on interval almost exclusively with only 1 session of full sprint distance every 10 days for running and cycling. Other sessions should be based on intervals (running and cycling) coupled with strength training.

I'm wondering if I would become a better badminton player by playing less but improving my physical condition (supposedly). I started a little program this monday and will think about it and try a few things, mostly based on what you guys recommended and see what works for me. :)

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

20200519_224431.jpg

That's what I came with for now and I can eventually increase some time for some sessions later on (other than badminton).

Running is 20 mins per session and the circled one is the full sprint marathon distance or 5km. Other sessions will be based on intervals.

Strength training (badminton oriented) is coupled with running, twice every 10 days and should last 30 mins.

Swimming: the focus will be on technique first because yes... my technique is basic and needs improvements. There is a good pool very close to my house with a coach asking 20 euros per hours. I think it's easy to say I will definitely do that without much pressure of breaking some times for a 750 meters. I don't plan to win and burn myself trying to get a time there, just participate properly and use triathlon as a fun cross activity for badminton. I hope swimming can help me improve and tone my upper body which is very weak and unbalanced! (Big legs and small torso with skinny arms)

Cycling is only once every 10 days and would last an hour, at least the first few months.

Badminton is between 2 to 3 hours per session, 3 session every 10 days and should be well planned with training in mind, not just friendly games.

Well that's only 8 hours per 30 days or per month focusing on triathlon. 8 hours that are replacing the 4 extra sessions a week I would have if I would still play badminton 3 times a week.

So regarding injuries that should work. Performance wise for triathlon it doesn't work I'm aware but I think after 6 months I could still participate, for fun, in a sprint triathlon. The question is.... would those 8 hours focusing on triathlon would be beneficial for badminton or would it be better spent doing more badminton or strength training at home... I guess I can only answer that question after a few months of following this program. One thing for sure, it would add some variety in my physical program and make it fun.

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Based on @speCulatius suggestion I will also get a heart rate monitor. I shall also keep up with yoga on a daily basis, it doesn't have to be long but 10 minutes a day works for me and really help stay fresh in between sessions.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as your goal is just participation, your approach could be a bit different. based on your abilities, swim/bike/run, which is your strongest? If say you are a great swimmer but poor runner, then focus a bit more on running. Most ppl start off triathlon as poor swimmer. So work harder on balancing it out. For sprint triathlons, you should already be young enough and with good badminton training beforehand, fit enough to just go out on a whim and finish one anyway. If not, then you need to ask yourself why and work on the weakness. When I started I was barely able to swim 25 yards, 2 years later I was able to swim 2.4 miles non-stop (not very fast, but at least they didn't have to fish me out from the bottom of the lake)

LenaicM likes this.
  5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

:D they might fish me out... and that is my weakest ability, swimming. To be honest with 750 meters to cover, although it is not that short, working on technique and swimming regularly (twice every 10 days) should do. I'll be fine finishing a sprint triathlon with 6 months of training, even if my program is light.

Well, I'll go for it and anyway, I might not step on court for another 4 to 5 months. I have a bike, some running shoes and a medium sized swimming pool with an elastic band to train a bit by waiting pools open back. It's better than just waiting for september to do any sport. If it really doesnt work in regards to badminton after I juggle with both sports, I'll ditch the triathlon after participating in one event. (at least for the sake of completing one Sprint in my lifetime)

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my recommendation for swimming is 3000 meters per week. preferably split up into 3 sessions. any lower you might not see quick enough improvement. that's 1.5 hrs per week. not that much.

LenaicM likes this.
  7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I was hoping to fit 2 swimming sessions for every 10 days and first improve my technique with a coach. I can try to fit 1500 meters per session so it would reach 3000 meters every 10 days. It might not necessarily be enough so I can add some swimming sessions to my program at first by waiting court open again. Once badminton is opened again, I shall go back to 2 swimming sessions for every 10 days. I found quite a few swimming programs with a lot of intervals.

8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Training has been going well so far and helped me regain some motivation towards sport. I try to slow down because I feel like I can do so much more but I stick to short sessions without too much straining yet, I want to increase the load of my effort progressively as my body is still new to the sports of triathlon.

Also, to replace the badminton sessions I still cannot have, I started some interval sessions with the elliptical bicycle placed by the tv. I set a badminton match and I try to match the pace of my intervals with the game in a way I accelerate when the birdie is in play and slow down when the birdie is on the floor/being picked up and until served again. I feel like it matches the intensity of the game and more importantly allow me not to be bored when working out at home. Using this excuse to rewatch some classic matches.