Yonex Astrox 100ZZ

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Junye, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Kapca81

Kapca81 New Member

We are still in quarantine phase but we managed to get access to private badminton court and played two 3 hours sessions yesterday and today.

I haven't played singles with 100ZZ but managed to compare it to LDF in doubles games (in both cases I used 4U versions for doubles).

What to say? The rackets are totally different so at start I had some troubles using 100ZZ especially with overhead shots and in to some degree with backhand shots but eventually I managed to get timing right.

So considering doubles games in my opinion 100zz is superior racket for front court and middle court plays. It is very playable racket and precision on net plays or fast drives is superior to LDF. It is also highly superior on defense.

I still preffer LDF for backcourt doubles play since I have feeling that I can generate more power, especially on backhand smash and overhead smash. As mentioned I also had some troubles using 100ZZ on backcourt backhand clears but once I managed to get couple of games under my belt and timing right it performed very good or as good as LDF.

100ZZ is (despite being relatively stiff racked) very easy to use and I like it a lot (actually I love it).

I will have more sessions on thursday and friday and hopefully I will get my smash and overhead game on par with LDF. I think LDF is slightly more flexible racket and I have to adjust my strokes to this new racket since the power with 100ZZ is generated more by speed than flex (if this makes sense).

Saru, bk_ngo, visor and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pawned186

Pawned186 New Member

So I was just wondering, is there anywhere to get a ZX in HCMC because they seem to only have the ZZ.

3. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

according to this
    it is 6.3mm - so nothing hyper about that, even apacs can do much slimmer :) and what is the point of making 6.3mm shaft and extremely bulky head frame like 6.9mm, what? :) so emphasis is on power transfer than speed, but yea any 4u bat you can call quick :)

Sumanth99 and LenaicM like this.
  4. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

ya apacs could be slimmer but quality-wise would be far different sir.

5. Z3R05G

Z3R05G New Member

Oh man, pure joy! Wish i had access to one as well, but alas, we are on 24hr lockdown here.

I suppose no surprises for the both of us on the superior net play, and better defense because of it's stiffer shaft and the fact that it is not as head heavy as the ldf! Man i can't wait to grab mine as well! Have fun , and thank you for the time you gave us to compare the two!

6. Kapca81

Kapca81 New Member

No problem. We are all like little children every time we get a chance to play. We played 4-5 times a week some of badminton colleagues even 6-7 times per week before the quarantine but now every session is like a Xmas time :)

I still feel that smash power of LDF is superior to 100zz but I am getting used to it. For mixed doubles where I spend most time backcourt in attacking formation or for doubles where I am paired with stronger frontcourt partner I will continue to use LDF in 4U or even 3U version. For everything else in doubles 100zz will most likely be my choice.

I am still hesitant to buy one 100zz in 3U weight category for singles game becuse I am not getting any younger and the racket needs more precision and speed from player to utilize its potential. In this regard LDF is so much more forgiving in my opinion although on other hand playing longer sessions is more tiring to hands with LDF.

7. Solarris

Solarris Regular Member

Student
    Hey, just got my Astrox 100 4u G5 from e78...
    I was torn between the 4u and 3u; there was little information about the weights. Even so, you guys compared the AX100 to rackets like the AX99, 88D, 88S, Z-Force II - in which I own none of them. So, I was purchasing with limited information about its weight. I ultimately decided to get the 4u just in case the 3u was too heavy for me (I'm pretty young, and have weak arms in my opinion).

I haven't played with it yet, but 4u is really light. It is noticeably faster compared to my former racket, my 15-year-old Carbonex 8600ti. However, it is also lighter than my Carbonex 8600ti... I should have gotten the 3u version, it is too light for me :confused:

If the AX100 really emphasizes precision and speed from the player to utilize its potential, then maybe the 4u is better for me after all. But I feel that a heavier racket (3u) would be better for doubles backcourt and singles.

Gotta wait for the pandemic to end before really testing this racket. :mad:

8. Z3R05G

Z3R05G New Member

Haha that I agree on. Will prob get the 4u as well since i am already used to the 4u feel be it head heavy or light. My son has already started playing so im really starting to feel too old for 3us lol! Cheers man! Enjoy!

9. ks138

ks138 New Member

Just got my ax100 4ug5, measured weight 86.6g (ori plastic wrap+grip without string), while another similar was 85.3g (compare to another new ax99 84.6g). 3ug5 weighted 90.3g. Have not play on court yet, but from the swing, it does feel a little lighter than my ax99 (similar stringing & grip), stiffer than ax99 though.

#749 ks138, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  10. iraditia

iraditia New Member

Well I have Ax 100ZZ, 88S, 88D all 3U. For me, Ax 88S plays easier than both. But Ax 100ZZ easier than Ax 88D. I think Ax 100ZZ sit between Ax 88S and Ax 88D. But Ax 100ZZ stiffer than 88D (because it has short shaft and long grip/handle).

missclicked and visor like this.
  11. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

have there been any instances of the astrox 100 zz breaking easily during racket clashes? looking to pick one up this weekend but my 88d broke so easily...wondering if the NAMD in the frame helps strengthen it?

12. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

Well. No one replied to my question but bought it anyways! Lol shaft is super thin so I will do whatever I can to avoid clashes... bg80 orange looks good! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumanth99 likes this.
  13. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Nice... But with any racket you would want to avoid clash anyway. They are mean to hit the shuttle & not to sword fight clashing each other.

14. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

Good point lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

currently using 88D. Not planning to buy AX100ZZ coz scared of extra stiff shaft. Hearing this makes me reconsider.

16. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

If you can try z-strike and nanoflare 700, think of 100zz (4u) like a crossover between those two.

visor likes this.
  17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

never try ZS but had try NF700 once.
    Good racket, ok feel, but not quite my taste. So i guest no for zz.
    Pretty much interest on ZX but i guest not many interest on ZX to tell the story.

18. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

I would say 100zz still worth a try.
    Attacking of ZS and defensing of NF700 morph into one racket.
    88d is more forgiving though.

PS: I changed from ZS -> 88d 4u-> 100zz 4u

19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

sadly my preference is heavy hammer racket. Anything than is fast, light rarely suit my feeling. If its heavy, head heavy, & powerfull puncher, thats what i like:D

Kinda like one punch man type:p

20. Z3R05G

Z3R05G New Member

Being an owner of 2 ldfs (just got the new design also) and an ax100zz- Their head heavy feel isnt much too different with maybe a slight advantage on the ldf (extra weight because of grommet design on top). This is also because of the longer grip on the ax100zz which makes it a little more balanced (and in turn speedy)- if it had a standard grip, i daresay it will be head heavier than the ldf.

I'll share more when i finally have the zz stringed up, but holding it together with the new design ldf with no strings as well- I can say that the 100zz will give me more control and accuracy, and more speed. Ldf power can be unlocked easier because of the balance and the flex, but the zz can compensate for it a bit because of the power generated by speed.