Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Because of the colorful costume? :D:D

2. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

When you suck at pull-ups yourself it's always reassuring to see a world no1 use the machine to do them isn't it :D

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Should rest instead of training, there ll be no competition for 4 months yet at least. They have won many title so maybe they wont have participated in that many tournaments anyway. But what if after returns to competition, they wont be good anymore? There are lots of changes that i would look into anything in 2020 & even 2021 season.

Boe have retired. I think Boe made Kevin a better player , Mentally. If he had not get past him at that time, he will win much less than he can. As an opponent, i think he made the most impact. He was there for a while before they were able to wrestle the WR1. When you just start your career, you really need to get over that barrier so the urge to beat Boe is way higher compared to say beating EndoW, in my opinion. The circumstances are different.

#6183 Yoji, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Did Kevin dye his hair very light brown? And was that Ahsan with his new hair(less) style??

"Still fast as lightning even in practice"

5. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    Mo won’t need that girlie headband anymore

6. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

posted before? Marcus's wedding.

7. Kikuhito Senshi

project manager
    That's not his usual 88S, either

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Minions have notched 11 wins against WR2 WR3 WR4 ( 11-2 vs AhsanHendra, 11-2 vs LiLiu, 11-5 vs KamuraSonoda) . I wonder how come just nice? . also 10-0 against HokiKobayashi. That means 4 pairs they have double digit wins. I believe this is a world record on its own. a nice one to have. 4 pairs.

Against up and coming pairs (8-0 vs ShettyRR, 7-0 vs AaronSoh , both is inside WR10 now) so hopefully it will be 6 pairs soon. 7-1 against HeTan, .. vs GohTan?

Tight ones is 5-3 vs FajarRian (last 2 defeats) , 4-3 vs HanZhou , including the walkover in GZ . 5-4 against BoeMo. and losing ones 2-6 against EndoYuta

Also, over the career , its way harder to get double digit wins in Doubles (even for the best Doubles) than in Singles because Singles player will keep playing while Doubles do change pairs from time to time. Of course the top pairs in Doubles like Kamson LiLiu AhsanHendra, you can multiply by that a few more times in Singles. Simply put, the number of winning wont change, just over many more different pairs than in Singles,, which means you need much more verstatility.

#6188 Yoji, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  9. Kikuhito Senshi

project manager
    So what is it, do you think, about Yuta & Hiroyuki, that seems to unsettle Kevin & Marcus? I think a lot of it might be that Kevin's game relies on being able to read an opponent and predict an opponents shot early and that he can't seem to anticipate Yuta the same way he can with other players?

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think it's the same problem Lee YD had with Ahsan/Setiawan. Ahsan/Setiawan time and again outclassed the 'fourth player' by quite some margin.

To me, Marcus Fernaldi is simply inadequate to the skill set of Yuta and Endo. Both being such defensively sound and composed players is really problematic for GMF that Sukamuljo's wizardry is not enough.

11. Kikuhito Senshi

project manager
    I have to disagree. As a player myself who is a front court player and rely on anticipation, my game relies upon someone consistent and reliable behind me. Marcus is just the kind of player Kevin needs. Happy to take second place in the limelight, minimum ego, consistent and prepared to pick up the shots Kevin doesn’t. You can’t play like Kevin unless you’ve got the solid back up behind you and Marcus is it. Granted he is not always 100%, but who is? No, I think Yuta and Hiroyuki frustrate Kevin just as much as they do Marcus.

Yoji and samkool like this.
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

We are talking about playing against one certain pair, aren't we?

Sometimes even in pairs you see the players individually to see how to exploit the player's strength as well as the weaknesses.
    Why certain player/pair is strong or weak against certain opponents?

Against Wata/Endo, Marcus just doesn't have good enough variation from the back and not threatening enough at the front. His weaknesses are exploited extremely well by the Japanese pair. Most of his attacks have no effect whatsoever against Wata/Endo and they keep on lifting to Marcus leaving Kevin nothing to feed off. This resulting Kevin to gets impatient and he always tries to do too much so when he finally gets the chance, he misses it because he wants to finish the rally as soon as he can which most of the time making things worse.
    Minions just need to be more composed and to be much more patient playing Wata/Endo, one rush mistake will be fatal. They can't play their usual game, which is probably frustrating. Long rallies it is, they can't rush it.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Or maybe just because there are more number of tournaments nowadays so the chance of one pair to have high H2H is bigger too. And.. I don't really know what you are talking about honestly.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Yes, I think Minions underestimate Endo and overestimate Watanabe.

Same mistake the Koreans used to do against Ahsan/Hendra

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Harder to play against left and right combination. Of course, it doesnt apply to every pair because they have 6-0 against IvanovSOzo, Yuta has good left hand disguise. You can say its an advantage, the top 4 is all Right & Right.

Still 2 of the defeats came in 19-21 in the 3rd. so could have easily been 4-4.

EndoYuta has 0-3 H2H against GohTan.. Does that mean they have inadequate skills compared to GohTan.. must be so from the posts i read above..

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Not really, Minions dont play that many tournaments. Its because they always reach Final. Well, to put it, its nice to lodge double digit wins against your oppoenents. and yes , its a record.

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Agree, their AE Final defeat i'd say is Kevin the cuplrit, even in HKO. ending was silly.

Of course for beating Minions 6 times, Endo can have some spotlight during the twilight of his career. More people talking about him too

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I am not so sure if that's the case. I'd say it's more about each pair's playing style.

Liu/Zhang had a good H2H against Endo/Wata. While LC was usually the weaker link at flat exchanges, but defensive play wouldn't work against him because he had no problem thundering down all lifts and ZN could easily take control at the front.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  19. Nine Tailed Fox

So you meant to imply that Gideon is unable to generate powerful attack from the rear court in this match up.

Did you notice any decline in Gideon Fernaldi's smashing prowess?

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Goh V Shem can thunder smashes in excess to 400 kmh repeatedly. His smashing power is feared amongst the pros.