Frame deformation on nanoflare 270 speed

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by MoonJogger, Apr 29, 2020.

1. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

Hi Guys,

So I just got my new racket stringed by a new stringer. The guy is nice and seems knowledgeable so I gave it a shot. I was there the whole time when he was stringing my racket, and I realized, at home, the frame is a bit deformed while still looks isometric but a bit narrow.

As for the stringing technique, he did a pre-weave for the main and cross, then mounted the racket onto a digital yonex machine. This machine has 6 supporters but because of the wide frame of nanoflare, the 2,4,8,10 o'clock supporters is not use. So basically he just use 2 supporters at 12 and 6 o'clock. He mentioned that he use a knot feature (if i heard it right) for the 1st main string. He gave tension from center to side at 24lbs. Then for the cross, he started from bottom at 26lbs. And for the last 5 cross at the top, he set it back to 24lbs.

At first, I didn't realize at all, the pinging is great. I checked with Stringster and Racket-meter apps, it came out pretty decent at 24.3lbs. I try some shots, and it feels good, the string si yonex BG85.

The widest part of the frame shrunk from 199mm to 194mm (5mm), the racket length elongate from 673mm to 677mm (4mm). I knew about this measurement because I did measure it before I took it to the stringer.

So is this still ok and wait until the string is broken or wornout? Or should I cut the string immediately?

I attached some photos of the racket and compared to my old trusty unstrung Duora 55 LCW 2020-04-29 15.15.15.jpg 2020-04-29 15.15.11.jpg 2020-04-29 15.15.19.jpg 2020-04-29 15.15.05.jpg 2020-04-29 15.14.40.jpg 2020-04-29 15.15.01.jpg

2. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

My advice would be to cut the stringjob and find another stringer. 1 or 2 mm difference in head shape after stringing is acceptable, 5mm is really pushing it in my opinion.

That is pure bullshit, almost all stringing machine (particularly these high end yonex ones) can fit tennis rackets so there's no reason not to use the side supports. I've never held one of these rackets but from the pictures you posted it definitely looks like it would fit in the machine.

With 2 point supports only and proportional stringing on the cross I am not surprised that the 24-26 ratio was off and resulted in an elongated head, particularly with a headlight racket.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What he said. :)

4. MoonJogger

thanks, I just cut the string, the frame is back to it's original measurement.

I'll look for another stringer
    So what's your suggestion on the tension when I found a stringer with/use 2 point supports ? Should I ask for a equall main and cross tension ?

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My advice: Look for a stringer with a 6-point machine and who actually uses all of them. ;)

If you stick to one with a 2-point only, then there's a lot of experience involved since the correct ratio still depends a lot on the machine. So as hard as it might be, you should leave it to the stringer to define the correct ratio for his equipment. In general, +2 lbs. on the crosses will be the starting point for most 2-point machines.

6. MoonJogger

This is what happen the last time lol.

The stringer at the old place, actually did a good job in keeping the frame shape as the original. But the problem is, everytime I asked for 24 or 25lbs but its always comeback higher like 26 or 27 on the stringster or racket meter apps, the string bed was really hard. A friend of mine who asked for 28lbs, also got his racket at 26 or 27lbs. Sigh...

only those two places who has a reputable name in my area.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Don't fall in the trap of thinking that the Stringster values are always correct. We have seen loads of examples and string/racket combinations in which Stringster just measures wrong values. If you think that the previous stringer gave you consistent(!) results and you were okay with the service, frame shape ect., then I don't see a reason to leave him only because of that Stringster issue. If you feel like his 24 lbs. were too tight for you, then lower your order to 22 or 23 lbs. and see if you really prefer it.

Slightly deferring values measured by Stringster alone are not a reason to dismiss a stringer imo. The most important thing is, that he gives you consistent results with every stringjob. That way, you can simply adjust your ordered value to what feels right for you. You will always end up with slightly different results for the same ordered tension when moving between stringers, even if everybody is doing a correct job. Just like switching between hairdressers.

8. MoonJogger

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't leave the stringer based on the apps. I forgot to tell the main reason, is that they missed a few broken grommets a couple times they strung my rackets. Specifically the grommets at 1 and 5 o'clock. Now 2 of my rackets have their strings chewing the frames. That was the reason I bought a new one actually.

Lesson learned, now I change the grommets myself before giving the racket to the stringer. Might as well going back to the previous place if I don't find any other stringer

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk