What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Every thing is sealed and shut down dating back from March 13 upto 3rd May. My area is a hotspot zone for COVID-19. People wandering in the streets are given free swollen buttocks treatment by the Police.

kwun and visor like this.
  2. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

Just today (Tuesday 21/4) it’s been extended to June 1

stay well everyone!

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Right now better find another activity. I'm contemplating MTB. Some countries are even starting to introduce about another wave in autumn or winter and another self isolation phase in perspective. That's very discouraging for our favourite sport and at our level (pro athletes will be able to fucntion) I'm afraid we are facing unlimited time on and off court. :(

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are very few community transmissions of covid in HK. Like zero a few times recently. The positive cases are those who travelled to HK from overseas.

HK has about 600 cases who returned from overseas out of the approx 1100 total. That’s over 50% being imported. Rather scary.

facilities are closed for another two weeks.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Wow generous of India Police to give free treatment there, here Police fine people over AU$1000 for wandering in streets. Over $5000 for spitting or coughing on officials.

Sumanth99, Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And that is fully okay imo. We had some cases in which people were licking products in the supermarket and put them back in the shelf - some thought it was funny apparently. I think a combination of indian swollen buttocks and australian fine would be perfect for jokers like that. And don't get me started on all those conspiracy bullsh*t that is flooding social media. I think we are on the way to finally exploring the maximum boundaries of human stupidity.

No news in terms of getting back to the badminton court in Germany so far. We see some measures being reduced slightly (hairdressers will be opening up starting 04 May... hurraaaay!) and the first classes get back to school. Some experts are expressing their concerns about the release being too quick since the number of new infections are still around 1k - 2k per day but the social pressure has become so huge that the government just had to do something. Munich has just cancelled the Oktoberfest though which is.... big.... I can't imagine how much the people living in Munich will be missing all the vomit in buses and subways and the singing and fighting drunks under their windows at nights. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, our neighbor Austria is down to impressive two-digit numbers in new infections per day and is moving on faster with reopening. Still, indoor sports like badminton are not yet on the list to be allowed again.

Looking at the situations all of you have described lately, I don't see myself on a badminton court before September at best.

#106 s_mair, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    sokol250, thyrif, endFX and 3 others like this.
  7. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

What might those limitations be?

What's it like to play in a mask?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Every alternate court along a row not permitted for playing on

9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'm okay with lower fines. Physical violence is unacceptable. I do understand our society isn't respectful anymore and won't follow rules unless there are severe sanctions. Some countries like Japan are an exception. In France some poor behaviours have surfaced too.

But... I find it ridiculous to threaten us (in France at least) to some jail time after 4 consecutive fines. Some people have been given fines because cops found their groceries "unnecessary" or judged too small. There have been some abuses on both side. We are also exploring the limits of (some of) our government.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That is indeed completely ridiculous. But I do understand the "shock and awe" intention behind those severe consequences. From what is reported the german police so far appears to find a good balance between warning and actually sanctioning offenders. At least I haven't heard many horror stories about police over-acting excessively. But I do think that it's a fine line to act for the police as well under these circumstances.

LenaicM likes this.
  11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

German individuals (and the country) are generally more organized and disciplined than French. The authorities don't have to be too sanctionary.

12. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Individual sport (golf, tennis etc) is actually allowed you just need your own court.:confused:

The mayor of Brandenburg (city) even allowed all sport clubs to do training, as long as they keep the recommended distance and follow the hygiene rules. The problem is that most locations like school gyms are probably still closed. My club is in another city, so I don't know if people are really back on court.

It's crazy how even cities are making their own rules now.
    Like you have to wear a mask in trains when your in Berlin but when you leave the city you can take it down (while still in the very same train)...
    It seems they will make mask mandatory throughout the country next week.

If the cases stay low in May even with less restrictions, I have hopes that we can play in June/July.
    during the summer the courts are less crowded anyway.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Maybe not this summer. Nobody is going on holiday.

14. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

My ever increasing body weight wants, no, needs to start playing again soon. I worked from home before the pandemic and still do so the only real change to me is that I have noisy children in the house, less toilet paper, more snacks, less quality exercise and no excuses.

There are so many emotions and the psychological effects of being stuck in a house all the time are getting more obvious. I am an introvert and craved this situation but this is too much. Oh, how I miss spending a few hours with other people even though it is only to play badminton.

15. Swat

Swat Regular Member

In Sweden all tournaments has been cancelled since mid March for the rest of the season. This is the case for all sports. But we can still go to training in limited groups. It works out pretty good, since groups are reduced to about half size.
    I have been working from home for the last month, which everyone who is able to does. But it is harder to keep up strength and doing workout, since gyms are closed. But, I have actually been doing more outside exercise like running and mountainbiking (more careful than usual, not good ending up in hospital now...) so stamina is getting better. I think working on stamina has affected my game more than anything, so that's something I'm taking with me.

I can understand a full lockdown will have an impact on peoples health (both mental and physical) if it goes on for too long. Let's hope it's going the right way now.

16. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Hot and sweaty! lol. Also, it takes a lot more effort to catch your breath when you have a mask on.

17. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I thought I read something that Sweden was doing the "herd immunity" thing and not actually locking down anything. But there are some limitations and restrictions to playing badminton? Can you play at all or just do training in small groups?

18. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Media outside Sweden seems to get it wrong after what I have seen. It has nothing to do with intentional herd immunity - even if it's the only thing that will stop the virus (it will not just disappear) besides vaccine, in a couple of years. The strategy is to protect the elderly and risk groups and avoid seeing other people than your closest family. So I don't go to see my parents, who are in self isolation at their country house, but there is no law that keep me from seeing them. Outside my window I can see a woman on the street talking to her mother who's on the balcony on the 2nd floor. It's all about keeping distance. It's a strategy that could last for years, while a total lockdown is possible to do for some weeks. Sooner or later every country has to loosen up restrictions, which is happening in many european countries at the moment and that will most likely cause a second wave. So it's building on lots of information and responsibility.

It's mostly open here, though they are closing down restaurants immediately if they don't follow the rules, high schools and universities are closed, etc. Stores are open, but there are very few people, so businesses are breaking down everywhere here as well. It means you can still play badminton, but there will be a few people on the courts.

visor, kwun and Sumanth99 like this.
  19. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    That's what I read too. What Swat is saying seems to me to be more of a "soft" lock down?

20. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    The media outside of Sweden is definitely portraying something more of "look at Sweden" they went complete opposite as other countries and didn't have any lock downs and they are near herd immunity now. I kept wondering oh no, it can get bad real fast for Sweden.

As my area slowly re-open up in the near future, I wonder if courts here will implement some sort of reservation policy to limit number of people coming in and limit playing hours per reservation. What have Sweden courts done to limit amount of players, if they have?