Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

My destiny shapers : https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2019/12/28/my-destiny-shapers

========================================
    The three-time Olympic silver medallist made a special shout-out to eight coaches namely Datuk Misbun Sidek, Teh Peng Huat, the late Indra Gunawan, Li Mao, Rashid Sidek, Morten Frost, Datuk Tey Seu Bock and Hendrawan.

Chong Wei recalled how the tough training regime he was put through had turned him into a world-beater.

“Without them, I wouldn’t have had the chance to play for my country. They were tough in training, very tough until there were some days my mind went blank due to over exerting myself, ” he said.

“There were moments I vomited on the court. Hundreds of times I went home with cramps. Never did I complain as I knew they could have been easy with me, took their pay cheque easily and continued with their lives. They were tough and strict as they want to bring the best out of me.

“Will always be grateful for what they have done for me.

“Just like the Chinese saying ‘One day as your teacher, a lifetime as your father’. Thank you coach!”

In Genting today, Chong Wei is set to make his public appearance for the first time, albeit a short one, for an exhibition match.

The Grand Match also features 2018 Asian Games singles gold medallist Jonatan Christie of Indonesia; the 2016 Rio Olympic Games mixed doubles silver medallists Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying, the 2016 Malaysian Masters finalist Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin and former doubles star Woon Khe Wei.

====================================================

The strict coaches, very tough regime training had played the key role for Lee CW success story.

whatAHassle, Cheung and Justin L like this.
  2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Is there any way to watch the LCW grand match?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Here's one...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

CLELY and LenaicM like this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Another found

CLELY and LenaicM like this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

And him playing with his sons...

LenaicM likes this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Glad to see Lee CW is back on court again even though just for exhibition match :)
    He has big task next year as Chief de Mission of MAS contingent for Tokyo 2020 : https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2019/12/30/this-chief-is-going-to-be-smashing

This chief is going to be smashing

=============================================

He is going to be more than a chief of mission. He is going to be one of the boys and girls, joining the athletes and shuttlers as they work to stay in shape.

Chong Wei has promised to buff himself up and show up more often at the Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) to help the shuttlers leading to the Tokyo Olympics.

“I plan to help out the national training by sparring with the players whenever possible next year. But first, I must build up some muscle and further strengthen my fitness. Skills wise, I never lost any of them (laugh)!” said Chong Wei.

“Apart from training, the more important thing I hope to do is to share my past Olympics experience with the players.

“The Olympic Games is massive for any athlete in the world, so building up mental strength is extremely important.”

Asked if the last six months were the happiest moment of his life, Chong Wei was quick to play it down.

“Yes, I’m happy, but I’m also sad at the same time. Sad because I am not able to play competitive badminton anymore. I miss competing so much, ” confessed Chong Wei.

“I still care a lot about the national team and I follow our shuttlers’ progress closely. In fact, I watch them play all the time, right from the World Tour tournaments to the SEA Games, either through television, or live streaming when I am abroad.

“Badminton will always have a special place in my heart regardless, that’s my root.

=======================================================

7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton

Finally this match is uploaded in good quality

10. extremenanopowe

11. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    One of the main reasons for his retirement was that the training puts an enormous amount of stress on the body and stress reduces our body’s natural defences and immune functions. Meaning if he went back to training at the levels required he could find that the cancer comes back.

j4ckie, Anks and LenaicM like this.
  12. extremenanopowe

We can just hope if the doctor can give him the go ahead. A big IF.

Regular monitoring of cancer marker required. ;)

Am sure everyone drool...

13. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    LCW was certainly very entertaining and fun to watch when he was playing. No other MS player can beat that.
    Lets hope he can come back.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Tempting but let's stop dreaming... :pUnfortunately we won't be seeing him again at the very high level. It's been almost 2 years now that he is out of the profesionnal circuit, the training and the mental conditioning required. His health comes first, for his family. We all know his wife wouldn't be pleased to hear he goes back on the tour. Then there is also his age. If he can join the Legends' vision events from time to time that would already be awesome enough. Let's just re-watch the great matches. Still plenty to enjoy :)

The very idea of fans daring to dream (;)) of LCW coming back because the Olympics have been postponed goes to show how much of an impact he had (has!) on the sport. He has always been the incarnation of the never giving up spirit and I'm not surprised we still believe he could come back. Legend!

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Chong Wei, a man denied by error in era
    Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020
    By TAN MING WAI
    https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2020/03/31/chong-wei-a-man-denied-by-error-in-era

PETALING JAYA: Lee Chong Wei may have been retired for more than nine months now, but the Malaysian legend has indeed left a lasting legacy.

Denmark’s former chief coach turned commentator Steen Pedersen is one person who still has fond memories of the badminton star.

Pedersen feels the 37-year-old should have gone out in a blaze of glory, winning the world title and the Olympic gold medal. Sadly, Chong Wei’s rise coincided with that of China’s Lin Dan.

If not for his Chinese nemesis, Pedersen had no doubts that Chong Wei could have conquered everything.

“He was a fantastic player, had he been present in any other era than the one with Lin Dan, he would’ve been Olympic champion, world champion and etc, because he is so strong.

“But it’s also nice if there are great rivalries.”

Lin Dan had won 28 out of the 40 encounters against Chong Wei, accounting for the latter’s four major misses at the Olympics and World Championships.

Not only did Lin Dan pip Chong Wei to the Olympic gold in Beijing 2008 and London 2012, he also broke the latter’s heart in the world meet finals in London 2011 and Guangzhou 2013.

=====================================

*If only Lee Chong Wei emerged in different era with Lin Dan, he could snatched all that major crowns but no doubt to mention him as one of THE BEST MS PLAYERS in contemporary era.

16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    He is a fantastic player true, but can't say he would have won it if it wasn't for Lin Dan. LCW lost WC and Olympic finals against Chen Long also. He is a great dude though, always inspiring.

17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indeed, being runner up in three consecutive Olympic Games (2008, 2012, 2016) then three-time World Championships silver medalist (2011, 2013, 2015) is something amazing, not many players can do this feat, very consistent despite at the end he only lost to Chinese nemesis.

#14377 CLELY, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Anks, Baddie lover and LenaicM like this.
  18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I agree with this.

I am a bit unsure about this statement.

He did give his best, and there is no place for regret when he did that.

lasalleguy and LenaicM like this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    take lin dan out of the picture and lcw h2h v chen long is 14-13.

that's a true rivalry.

CLELY and Sumanth99 like this.
  20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Prior to the emergence of CL, LCW only had LD to contend with. After the emergence of CL, it was always 1 against 2. If he beats LD, CL will stop him. If he beats CL, LD will stop him. We hardly see CL vs LD.