Hecsball

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DuckFeet, Apr 16, 2019.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Has anyone else seen/tried these? Indoor handeye coordination training. I'm asking about a UK supplier/postage.

2. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Looks interesting. Should be fun to grab the racket at home :)

It seems they ship to Europe, so I ordered a pack. Will let you know if it works (both shipping and the balls)!

3. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    These could come in handy. Looking forward to any reviews.

4. Esteban

Esteban Regular Member

I ordered a set...although I'm past the game improvement stage and well into the please-don't-injure-yourself stage.
    I'll likely give them to a high school coach I know to use with the kids to see if they are helpful.

endFX likes this.
  5. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Hi, I have the hecs balls since some weeks now. The shipment to Europe took 2 weeks. Not very fast but I was happy that they made it through customs without further problems.

The balls come in a set of 3 different speeds. The medium one may correspond to a normal shuttle, while the small/large ones are a bit like feathers bent in/outwards. Of course, the feeling is much softer than a normal shuttle but your walls and furniture will appreciate that on impact.

I ended up using the smallest one most often: it is fast and very good for training reactions and block defense at different positions around the body. I think 10 min per day of this could really help beginners to get to a new level of defense without the need to go to court, have a partner feeding them shuttles etc.
    More advanced players can still benefit from reaction training and practice trick defenses ;)

Using the hecs balls to practice net slice and cross shot, I often ended up too close to the wall. So there it is better to get a hang of the technique just keeping the ball in the air by slicing or playing from one side of the body to the other. Works fine with fast and medium balls.

The slow ball is intended for practicing finger power. I am still recovering from a finger injury at the moment, so I cannot really test that. But I think it should work well because you need to hit it quite hard against the wall so that it comes back for you.

I struggle a bit to incorporate overhand strokes into the program in a useful way. Drive comes back "attacking" your shoulder, this is tricky to defend.

All in all, I think it's very well invested 20 dollars to improve your racket speed.
    Maybe the balls can also be used with one of those extra-heavy training rackets to build up some more arm strength.

DuckFeet likes this.
  6. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Is this essentially ball badminton? But they market it as "hecsball"?

7. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

I ordered these also and they came to the UK in under a week
    The medium ball works best for me, with just the right amount of bounce back.
    I am really enjoying these at the moment and spend around 10-15mins a day during my work lunch break.
    Using an old Yonex head heavy racket and doing fast strokes to build up reaction speed.
    You will be surprised at how much of a forearm work out you can get and after 10mins my upper arm and forearm
    start to tire. The endurance training aspect is also very good as you can hit shots off the wall at high pace until your
    arm gives in.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Just ordered a set. Review to follow!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Dave1011 likes this.
  9. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Has anyone with experience with these balls noticed if they mark your walls at all? Looking to order them, but live in an apartment.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    No marks. But noisier than expected. Do you have stud walls or solid brick?

decoy likes this.
  11. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Studs I'm pretty sure. It's a decently large apartment so I have a few walls I can hit against that aren't shared with neighbours. So I think noise isn't much of a concern, I just didn't want to have to explain discolorations or chips when I move out

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    You should be fine then. Just mind those light fixings in particular....

decoy likes this.
  13. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Ah awesome news. Thank you for the help!

14. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Mannn they rejected my order, they said its hit and miss with delivery to where im located. Im asking for any other shipping method, but should it not available for me, do you think i can DIY this hecs ball? Ive been training with shuttle against the wall but its just not that effective coz of the erratic movement and of course the noise and the big space needed. Man, i really need this, been on the losing side almost all the time at the court, sigh......

15. HECSBall

HECSBall New Member

Hello! My apologies for rejecting your order. Most that get sent to Indonesia get lost somewhere along the way. I'll send you a private message to discuss other options.

Also, this whole HECS Ball thing exploded, which is so exciting and humbling. So thank you all for your curiosity and shared passion for the sport!

Ouchie likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just made an order for our club. Not a big surprise that the business is going through the roof these days - what other options are there for all those Covid-lockdown players to work on your touch and reflexes?! Hope you guys have enough stock to cover all the orders.

17. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Yay, my order follow through, thanks, looking forward to it

18. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I'm using mine a lot the last couple of days! The youtube playlist for exercise ideas is at myhecs.com

Not finding much use for the big one, yet. Planning to use those for the grip change exercises with my coaching for kids. Medium and small are great for myself, too, though!

s_mair likes this.
  19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think it may have helped with my shot consistency. However, tried the fast one outside on garage wall. It now resides in a garden 2 or 3 houses away after a misshit.

20. HECSBall

HECSBall New Member

Thanks for ordering! Yeah, we thought we were doing okay before this all happened. Needless to say, we're enlisting help to manufacture them. Derek (the business partner behind the scenes) has been "working 120 hours straight" to keep things moving.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. That must have been a hard misshit. If you notice a cat with an exceptional successful hunt rate, you should be suspicious...

Excellent! I find the big one is easy to start off with the 'big swings' and the 'horizontal to vertical' exercises. Anything that incorporates bigger (yet controlled) swings and power, like drives, can help the large one get more meaningful bounce time.

DuckFeet likes this.