Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

To whom? Like Han/Zhou in FO? Nobody made a fuss?
    Which other pair that people won't make a fuss? Li/Liu? Ahsan/Hendra? Fajar/Rian? or ChoiSeo?
    Minions had been really struggling against Endo/Wata for the whole year (badly in most matches), it's not surprising for them to lose, imo. Endo/Wata had been impressive the whole tournament too. They even defeated Ahsan/Hendra whom they had badly lost to in this AE.

trizzforce likes this.
  2. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

I don't think people would overreacting like this they lose to any other pair, that's my point. sure there would still be some criticsm etc but it wouldn't be like this. just my opinion ofcourse.

3. Thunder Hand

He has a big heart. I remember when he had a bad game in the final 2 years ago (fuzhou open 2018 I think) he openly apologized to kevin on his IG post, it's not easy to do that especially when you're the senior player.

rhoder and Hbmao like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why did he have to apologize? They won that final.

5. Thunder Hand

Because he played bad, he said something like, "sorry partner I didn't have a good game"

6. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

One bad game for Kevin, everyone jumps on him. It's okay, he's no God. One bad day and everyone forgets all great moments he gave us by his mesmerising skills. No need to be that harsh on him :) Positive from last night match was Marcus didn't choke which happens most of the time. Maybe next time they'll have confidence that they can play much better and win against EndoWata. Last night result was good for psychology of minions if we talk about long term. Anyways, the guy has sth to say to you guys, read the caption. Ayo semangat

Yoji, yuquall and ma.ria like this.
  7. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Marcus, when is "soon"? How many months do we have to wait to see you...??

9. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Thomas Cup maybe

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

BAC's fate is still uncertain and there are talks about whether TC will take place as Denmark has closed its borders.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Absolutely.

12. Thunder Hand

Special Interview with Herry Iman Pierngadi
    When We Meet Them Again, I Believe We Have Opportunities

Marcus Fernaldi Gideon / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo failed to win their third title at All England. In the final early this morning WIB (16/3) at the Birmingham Arena, Minions were defeated by their arch enemy, Hiroyuki Endo / Yuta Watanabe.

The game ran hard in a rubber game that ended with a score of 18-21, 21-12, and 19-21. The tempo of the match lasted quite a long time, up to 1 hour and 12 minutes.

For Minions, it is the sixth straight loss in the last six matches against Endo / Watanabe. Since 2019, Marcus / Kevin always failed to beat the Japanese double.

Despite losing, the performance of the Minions this time is much better. Their strategy went smoothly. Marcus / Kevin also increasingly understand how to gain points against the world number six.

Although the results are not satisfactory, but many things are very positive from the defeat.

And about the evaluation, tactics, strategy, and his views on the All England 2020 final match, this afternoon, national men's doubles coach Herry Iman Pierngadi told the Jawa Pos reporter Ainur Rohman.

Marcus / Kevin have always lost in the last six matches against Endo / Watanabe. But I see, even though last night they lost again, it was the best performance of Marcus / Kevin in the last six games ...

Yes, I agree. That was Kevin / Marcus' best performance. That is, when we compared to the Final Superseries (BWF World Tour Finals 2019, Red) yes it is much better. At that time, Marcus / Kevin were only given 10 points (11-21 in the third game, Red). But last night, we were able to catch up, a little ahead, although only one point from 19-18.

Right, we don't win. We just became runners-up. However, on the other hand we have found a way to play against them. We already know how to win points against Endo / Watanabe. And I hope, we can be better and ready again. Opportunities can open again. Even though we have to admit that we didn't have any luck in the game last night.

I see, especially in the second and third games, the strategy is always to attack Endo. Both smash and drop shot. Is that the strategy to get a a point against Endo / Watanabe ?

That's right, that is one way. Because, if you attack Watanabe then it won't penetrate. Very difficult to penetrate. He played very well. Almost perfect and he does not make that many mistakes. So, we finally targeted him (Endo).

We smash, we chop, we continue to attack because that's what must be done. So to say, Endo is a weak point. But actually, Endo is playing really safe.

For example like in the first game. If we smash and beat him up, he won't be shaken. Very strong defense. So, it must be varied. we play a dropshot for example, so he runs forward and back. Yes so that the (defense) is open.

Court side is also influential. In the first and second set are different. In the second set, Endo / Watanabe could not defend totally due to the fast court. Three or four times their shot were out far back. So, they play no-lob again and finally we can easily get the points.

Former world number one doubles from Malaysia Tan Boon Heong said that the only way to defeat Minions was to play a total defense and counter-attack. How is his opinion? Is it really like that?

Yes, I totally agree. How to play no-lob is the main advantage of Minions. The only way to defeat them is to lift the shuttle up. But there are many factors. We have to see also how to play against the drift, what if the shuttle is slow .

Like the second set of yesterday's finals, the way Minions played were becoming more effective because of the court conditions too. So, indeed their (Endo / Watanabe) defenses are open. Endo / Watanabe always lift the shuttle back. Uh, there are a lot of outs. So they changed a bit, so they played no-lob, and we could win easily in the second set. The analysis (Boon Heong) is correct. The enemy will always see us. They always look at our recordings. So, we really have to keep learning.

In the first and third games, does Kevin play a lot from the back ? I myself see it is not very efficient. What are the options and strategy parts? Or is it true that Endo / Watanabe can continue to force Kevin away from the net?

So here goes, Kevin should really continue up front. However, the condition and the opponent finally make a player can play in front or back. Each player, of course, has their respective specialties. What is clear, it is very difficult to be able to play in front. It can't be wrong a little. No errors. Must be very focused and concentrated.

And for that, ideally Kevin is up front. Because, his hand muscles also affected. Kevin and Marcus have different hand muscles. Marcus has a much bigger CC hand than Kevin. So, Marcus ideally continues behind. But again, yesterday were were a little bit impatient. If we are more patient, we can actually win.

But it must be admitted that in this All England, Endo / Watanabe developed rapidly ...

It's like that. Of all the Japanese pair, we are now wary of Endo / Watanabe. Even Hendra (Setiawan) and (Mohammad) Ahsan, will also pay more attention to this pair. They really developed. Their game is very advanced. But, we will continue to see their strengths and weaknesses.

And what makes me relieved in the final yesterday was that the most targeted was Marcus. Now it's no longer like that. Marcus is more resilient and stronger. And I am happy with that. And if we meet again, I'm sure this time we have a chance of winning.

Now the matter of body gestures. I noticed that Marcus / Kevin had a lot of communication. They talk more to each other even since the quarter-finals. In the finals, despite losing, they also seemed to support each other. Is it really like that?

Right. Especially in the finals. They want to prove that they can win and especially beat Endo / Watanabe. I said, they must be compact and mutually supportive. Don't blame each other. So basically, their communication on the court must be better and better.

Many people commented to me that although they lost, but their communication was good. The way they play is different. And that is indeed true.

Source : https://www.jawapos.com/sports/16/03/2020/kalau-ketemu-mereka-lagi-saya-yakin-kita-punya-peluang/

Cheung, samkool, rhoder and 4 others like this.
  13. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

We hear the word "patient" since the first time they lost in BAC last year and seems like they still can't be "patient"...

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

They could have met EndoWatanabe in IndonesiaMasters too.

But i wouldnt want them to focus on EndoW , just like all the pairs focus on Minions. They ended up beating them but most likely forget to win the next match.

Just go with the flows. Whats the point of beating EndoW but cant win the title. Probably the most important meeting is ThomasCup & Olympics, yet these 2 tournaments could be cancelled.

15. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Thanks coach..

IMG-20200316-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200316-WA0007.jpg

wade likes this.
  16. wade

wade Regular Member

If only endo having a YYS 2015 dubai type of game...he seems to be solid overall despite being targeted a lot.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

What is CC hand?

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

19. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Honestly Endo is pretty darned good himself in defence, it’s just that Watanabe is god-like. Yeah it’s like the YYS vs LYD, opponents have no choice but to target YYS. Once Endo retires, the next partner for Watanabe will be under immense pressure, difficult to find another player solid in defence as these two.

trizzforce likes this.
  20. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I was thinking the same. I just have this feeling that part of Marcus is relieved that the match didn’t end as a result of his errors. At least he can pat himself on the back and say this loss won’t be attributed to him this time.

I feel like he isn’t a naturally confident person, typically such people have slightly more empathy for others. But he did very well to hide any doubts he might have had yesterday. He looked even more confident than Kevin, such was his great attitude

yuquall likes this.