Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Singapore is off the list.

3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, and I am sure it won't be the only one.

Moreover, now that President Trump has joined the fray and advised Japan to consider a one-year postponement of the Olympics, I am beginning to suspect that Tokyo 2021 is what we are heading for.

4. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

5. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

I just heard the latest update that All England would be the last tournament for Olympics qualifying. Swiss, India, Malaysia, and Singapore all canceled.

kurako likes this.
  6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

That would please some, ... and seriously disappoint other players. I would be interested to learn if there is a source for this information.

Now, if the Olympics were to be postponed for one year, would all the players have to go through another "Race to Tokyo", i.e., qualifying period? I imagine that it would be difficult to keep oneself motivated and energised for a full two years. And, of course, this doesn't apply to badminton alone, but across the entire board.

7. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

The source would be BWF themselves. All tournaments from March 16 - April 12 are cancelled/post-poned.

https://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2020/03/14/bwf-suspends-international-badminton/

kurako likes this.
  8. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

sorry, moved my posting to "Tokyo 2020" thread

9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

edit:
    private fb post apparently

#1829 lurker, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  10. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

That was fantastic badminton, what Endo and Yuta did. They probably have the best defense in the world in MD. They were very controlled and picked the right time to attack. They didn't attack if they weren't certain of their position and balance. They played a very patient game against the #1 in the world.

Only Yuta and Endo can play this style of game against the minions and win. Every other MD team will lose with this style. You have to give credit to Yuta and Endo for their style that can beat the #1 in the world.

11. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Malaysia Open was cancelled and Malaysia is now was the nation that have the most infected cases in S.E. Asia. Where will Japan team go and train ?

12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Probably back home then. Manila is also under lockdown. The BAC and Thomas/Uber Cup could be postpone or cancel too.

13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

From Okuhara twitter. I used "google translation" but it doesn't work.

Please, tell me what in the picture.

I think it's about the virus and 14 days isolation, but I want to know detail.
    okuhara.png

14. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

U
    Use translate app

15. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i think its reported in this yahoo article and also in FB

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=...9Ce9yrhZ8EDZGsjB4VkoUhMl1OVkNCk7uKxv3UiVO815w

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=羽你同行&epa=SEARCH_BOX

translating the yahoo link...

On 18th, the Japan Badminton Association made a comprehensive assessment on the spread of the Covid-19 in Europe, and announced that players and staff who returned home from AE Open on the 17th, to stay at home for two weeks. In principle, they are asked to avoid going out and monitor their health by daily temperature measurement.

After attaching the image of this press release, Okuhara twitter, saying, "Why wouldn't I be contacted first?" And said, "I don't know what to do. We often find important information online." She complained. "Isn't it important to contact or confirm the parties (staff and players) before making an announcement on the Internet?" "I was originally at home for 2-3 days, so I'm planning to practice from tomorrow, but what will happen?".

Considering the travel situation, the Japanese national team initially planned to stay abroad until late April, but quickly returned to Japan as BWF announced that the world tour would be suspended till April 12. Training camp will begin on the 12th.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The players were originally informed that they would only need to spend two or three days at home before returning to practice with their corporate teams, etc. The sudden announcement that everyone would need to self-quarantine for fourteen days was posted yesterday on the NBA website (https://www.badminton.or.jp/info/docs/allEngland_waitingAtHome_request.pdf), apparently after deliberation with "parties concerned".

"Parties concerned" obviously doesn't seem to include the players themselves, but in defence of the NBA position, it needs to be added that this policy is in line with covid-19 countermeasures. As of March 21, all entrants from the United Kingdom will, in any event, be required to undergo quarantine for two weeks.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, just 1 week has changed a lot in UK with almost quadrupling (!) of covid cases since the players arrived. So anyone who returns from UK has to quarantine for the incubation period to be in the safe side. Fortunately (or not) tournaments for the upcoming 2 months are cancelled, and imho the Tokyo OG will also if the way things progress as they are.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Same as players returning to India, Malaysia, Hong Kong - well for HK team they travelled on the same plane as a Covid 19 patient so they must go into isolation for two weeks.

19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Why can't they go to their own Country?.
    Now i don't think any player is able to train if they impose restrictions in opening Academies.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

There is no way Olympic Games are taking place.

#1840 Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020