Is BWF youtube blocked in UK?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Hickton, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

Trying to watch Badminton World channel in UK for Malaysian Masters but videos are unavailable when I click on them. are they blocked? Never happened before.

2. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Had the same problem last night! (Uk) not sure what the issue is but all the videos work other than malaysian masters for some reason..

3. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

Yes you are right. Strangely the thumbnails for the Masters videos are on my TV, where I ws tying to watch them, but the thumbnails don't even appear when I go to the channel on my laptop. Either something has gone wrong or rights don't extend to UK?

4. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Ive just seen something on facebook about the bwf selling the rights to bt sport!?

colekwok likes this.
  5. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

I was wondering if I was the only one having this problem, like Hickton I could see the thumbnails on my TV but not on my laptop nor phone. Can't find anything on the bwf site nor BT; this is a massive shame if we can't watch it for free on YouTube as I'm not sure there are many who are willing to pay specifically for Badminton on BT Sport

Tec07 likes this.
  6. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

7. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

Yes I'm gutted if they are going to be blocked from now on. I searched on BT and Sky web sites but can't see anything about badminton being broadcast in UK. I would be surprised if they wanted the rights tbh.
    I'd rather pay a few quid a month direct to BWF and keep it on Youtube.

Managed to watch the finals on a low res fixed camera Youtube channel but it's not great.

8. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    The Malaysian Masters promo was blocked in the UK, but the Indonesia Masters is not.

Hopefully it was just that tournament for reasons unknown, there must have been some contents rights issue of some sort.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

9. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

Added Hola vpn extension on chrome and selected france then unistalled it when it was over. hopefully it was just the one off. i was so confused as to why no matches were streaming on yt then saw a post on badminton england fb saying they were happy to announce that bt was showing it on bt sport 3 :/

10. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Oooh, 7-9pm tonight on BT Sport 3.
    Shame, I have no desire to subscribe just to watch badminton.

11. browning

browning Regular Member

It appears that BT Sport have taken a punt on the rights to show some badminton, which is good in the sense that at least a UK broadcaster is willing to try showing it - unlike the clowns at the BBC who have had the rights to the All England and yet bury it online only and don't even give the chance to rewatch/download it on their iPlayer. BT Sport/ESPN UK is showing the the rest of the Indonesian Masters Live (https://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/3517274/19241698/live-badminton). BT Sport 1 also showed the latest "Badminton Unlimited" episode so it seems this will also be region blocked to the UK as well.

As others have said, as a workaround to access the BadmintonWorld.tv YT channel streams you can use a free/paid VPN set to a non-blocked country. Another option I can suggest (seeing as I'm doing so) is to use Tor Browser (and use 720p or lower to not abuse the bandwidth). If it doesn't immediately show then refresh the the circuit until the exit node is of a non-blocked country and enable the various Javascripts if needs be.

If you are a little more tech savvy then at least on linux you can install tor (set the torrc file to use Exit and Entry Nodes of non-blocked countries), youtube-dl and mpv/vlc player and then play it via a command such as "torify mpv <stream link>" or download via "torify youtube-dl -f best <stream link>"

12. Ken Williams

Ken Williams New Member

Both Malaysian and Indonesia masters are blocked to UK. Probably means all world tour events will be the same from now on while rights aren’t owned by another broadcaster. As commented by others, this is first time UK viewers have been unable to access videos, live streaming or reruns. I emailed BWF three times about this change last week - they ignored all 3 emails. The highlights of about half a dozen matches only are on the BWF.tv website but you can’t access the other 8 videos listed for the Indonesia tournament. I heard they’d sold rights to BT sport also. The static camera feed from up in the stands is pretty boring and too far away to catch the action well. Plus no commentary from the usual English and Danish commentators. All in all it’s a cluster you know what and does nothing to build up the reputation of the BWF.

colekwok and Tec07 like this.
  13. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

You're not wrong. I don't want to get BT for £25 a month or any other sports channels as I'm not interested enough in other sports. BT don't even seem to mention badminton on their own web-site. Like I said before I would rather have paid BWF £10 a month to watch it on their own channel. I am seriously pissed off.

14. Ken Williams

Ken Williams New Member

Such a pity BWF have taken the money from
    BT Sport but given so little consideration to UK audiences. I don’t know anyone who has a BT Sport subscription. Plus it is infinitely better to be able to watch on the internet as and when suits.

darrengsaw likes this.
  15. Sirppi

Sirppi Regular Member

Actual matches are blocked here in Finland, the highlights and promo stuff are apparently still available. Vpn is the obvious workaround, sure, but this is still a frustrating setback.

E: Oddly enough, the recent semifinals appear in the uploads list on the PS4, but won't load. On other platforms the blocked content is not even showing up.

E2: I wonder who holds the broadcasting rights in Finland, or how does this even work?

#15 Sirppi, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  16. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

The 5 minutes semi-finals highlights videos and, for some reason, one of the XD semi matches in full work on my phone but casting them to my TV won't work.

17. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Weirdly some of the highlights and other content are on the BWF facebook page.

18. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    I was quite puzzled and had thoughout it was something wrong with my Youtube account. Then I came upon this thread. No warning or notice from BWF.

Not sure BT Sport would show the whole matches live as BWF Youtube channel does. Really miss the live streaming from Youtube, never used VPN or any other stuff to watch content. I'm now thinking about AE.

19. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    It is so frustrating for us people in the UK.

Eurosports used to own the right before 2018, I guess the deal expired and I thought it was such a great move for BWF to show it on Youtube for free just to promote badminton further. Now that they have done it again, very disappointed.

Here is the link to all the names of BWF. Feel free to contact (and bombard) them.

https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/about/council-committee/

Attached is the blocked country list.

blocked.jpg

20. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

It's back!

Spanish Masters semis now streaming. Oh how i've missed you Steen and your multi-camera HD video :)