India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Her hard work for WCs was not questionable. However, looks to me she doesn't seem to take any interest on being consistent throughout the year.

2. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    That's the problem. She only cares about winning big tournaments, may be she thinks it will give her much fame and money, I don't know. Just look at how many sponsors she got after winning WC. She is now too busy with events and gala dinners. A true dedicated player would look to give his/her best in every match. There is no better example than Momota. I am disappointed with Sindhu regarding this aspect.

Play hard. Train harder.

Baddie lover likes this.
  3. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    That's the stupid excuse they tell to mask their egoistic clashes. They don't even see eye to eye in events/tournaments. Will their weakness exposed if they just shake hands?

Play hard. Train harder.

Baddie lover likes this.
  4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Jwala sometimes over reacted but boy, did she have guts. The only person who stood to wrongdoings and politics behind Indian badminton.

Cheung and Biglever like this.
  5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    So many foreign coaches living in short,

6. Baddie lover

Actually, this is not just a case of Indian badminton but also in field hockey and football. In hockey and football cases, association ego was the case but players were very disciplined. Maybe, in Indian badminton case attitude of players and association also come into place.

7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think its ok if she is focussing only in big events, but I agree that she should try to play well in the tournaments that she is participating in, else she should focus on participating only in a few tournaments. She shouldn't waste money by participating in tournaments that are not her priority.

If there is such privilege/option, I'd prefer Lin Dan like Sindhu over a Lee Chong Wei like Sindhu.

Cheung likes this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

LD had won so many tournaments in his younger time before he finally prioritised majors. You can't say LD had always been focusing only in majors. Not to mention, LD had been indisputably the best MS among all. Everyone knew and was sure he would have won against any player at any time.

Does everyone feel the same about PVS?

9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Lee Chong Wei:
    Few more days before waving goodbye to 2019. 2019 has been a roller-coaster ride for me, physically and emotionally. I'd like to take a moment, and thank all my coaches.

Datuk Misbun Sidek, Teh Peng Huat, the late Indra Gunawan, Li Mao, Rashid Sidek, Morten Frost, Datuk Tey Seu Bock, Hendrawan and many others guided me along the way. Not only polishing my badminton skills but also building my personality to who I am now.

Without them, I wouldn’t have the chance to play for my country. They were tough in training, very tough till there were some days my mind went blank due to over exerting myself. There were moments I vomited on the court. Hundreds of times I went home with cramps. Never did I complain as I knew they could have been easy with me, took their paycheck easily and life went on. They were tough and strict, as they want to bring out the best out of me.

Will always be grateful for what they have done for me. Just like the Chinese saying “ One day as your teacher, a lifetime as your father”. Thank you coach!

Such stark contrast between the attitudes of the legend and Indian players.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Unfortunately, every player is slightly different.

There is a certain Spanish women’s singles player who targets the world championships and Olympics and is very successful with that strategy.

Whether the majority of Indian players can do that is a bit of speculation.

some people’s training ability is not the same as LCW or Lin Dan or Momota. Injuries can occur. Training programs also have to be tailored to the individual. I would agree that attitude and drive to be successful are vital attributes.

11. Baddie lover

But Marin is also successful in SS/SSP/World tour. She's been an all round player.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Who says PVS has to be like Marin? We know plenty of players who win SS/SSP etc yet are not world / Olympic champions *cough*.

More of a concern would be the rest of the players who have not been fulfilling their potential. At least PVS has silver in other World and Olympics which is a lot more consistent than most of the other players on the Indian squad.

badmuse, Baddie lover and Sumanth99 like this.
  13. Baddie lover

I was just stating, Marin desires to be the best WS player. It's true, Sindhu has done a lot for us, won so many medals and firsts for India. She's well respected in India. But is she a legend in world badminton ? I don't think so. It would sound harsh but peaking only once throughout the year and going off boil later, that needs questions to be asked, right ? Anyways she's 24, has a long career and hopefully she would turn around all the criticism and be a legend in World Badminton.

14. Baddie lover

Link: https://www.thehindu.com/sport/othe...fic-coaching-pattern-gopi/article30405239.ece

Excerpts: "Yes, it was definitely not bad. We produced a World champion in Sindhu and a World championship bronze medallist B. Sai Praneeth. We have had good results from Lakshya Sen, Sourabh Verma and in doubles from Satwik and Chirag,” says chief National badminton coach P. Gopi Chand

Are you happy with the results in 2019?

“There is a lack of consistency, but it is because of poor management of the international schedule. Sometimes you can’t complain as they (Indians) are competing against each other to be in the race for the Olympics,” Gopi says.

“We still don’t follow a clearly demarcated system, like addressing the coach’s role in training and deciding players’ schedule,” he avers.

On his role, Gopi said: “It is only advisory. I cannot impose myself in the given structure and format. Sometimes, out of respect, some players may listen. My advice is not binding.”

So, will there be a point when you might just give up? “No way. For the simple reason, who else will do this. One should understand I am only raising relevant issues and want answers from the top,” he says.

On Sindhu, Gopi says: “Not too concerned. Seen her go up and down, has the ability to raise the bar on her day and she has done it at the Olympics and World championships.” On Saina: “Yes, she is struggling. But, I believe it is an issue of fitness.”

15. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

I didn't like this interview, it didn't answer to the attitude related questions raised by coach Flandy.
    Also how can he alone suddenly raise standards? Without hiring new coaches.
    Only one mere medal? At least aim high man.

16. Baddie lover

Well, it's been expected that he'll dodge those questions or try to mellow down the talk. He's himself satisfied with Sindhu and his other wards. In his opinion, only Indians have the problem with current scheduling that's why they don't win any tournaments. And how can he say, he answers to the top or conveys things to the top? The Association has given Gopi full authority. I've got nothing more to say. Been tired ranting since 4-5 months.

Biglever and Sumanth99 like this.
  17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This is apt to Indian Badminton too,
    Indian Badminton fans share similar frustration to Pakistani Cricket fans, the issues may be different, may be our badminton a tiny bit better than their cricket ;).

Baddie lover likes this.
  18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Coach Flandy in his Instagram story clarified that first post never interviewed him, and a lot of what it reported was fake news.

Cheung, Baddie lover and Swas44 like this.
  19. ainchekar

ainchekar Regular Member

Any link to the post?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer