India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think we both are looking at different aspects.

I am trying to interpret what that article is saying based on the content. As per the article it seemed to me that coach Flandy also feel similar to Kim that is "Attitude is a problem". He also said that he is beginning to experience signs of such problematic attitude which was experienced by Kim and Mulyo.

I think PVS performing so well(in WC) has noting to do with what is discussed by the article, because the article is not/(may be) true, or it may be a misunderstanding between Kim-PVS.

I am now more concerned that Flandy is saying that he is experiencing similar things what Kim and Mulyo experienced.

I am quite surprised and taken back by these kind of comments by foreign coaches towards our players, Indian players and Indians in general are very warm and show utmost hospitality to guests and foreigners, and respect teachers very much. These comments are so opposite to our culture.

Baddie lover and Biglever like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Since these are about Indian players in general, then I will move it to the Indian players thread

Mod

Baddie lover likes this.
  3. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    Couldn't spot the coach. How come they enjoy like this without the coach?

Play hard. Train harder.

4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Players are allowed to spend fun time without their coach! It wasn't all the players, a select group who chose to hang out together.

5. Swas44

Swas44 Regular Member

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...r-early-exit-of-foreign-coaches-6184988/lite/

Some excerpts:

When asked to elaborate, Limpele told The Indian Express: “Some players are individualistic. There is lack of team work and they only care about individual self. In doubles, you can’t do that.”

"Some players in this camp have bad attitude, I don’t know why that happens. But I think maybe it’s been like that for a long time and it looks like this habit could turn into the culture in the camp,” he said.

“I’m trying to change (this culture) because it’s not good to have individualistic players in doubles. I want to slowly change this, hopefully it will work. But if it doesn’t and (this is) the way they want it, then no foreign coach will be willing to stay longer,” he warned.

He said nobody had been disrespectful to him yet, but added that Indian shuttlers lacked gratitude towards foreign coaches. Asked if bad attitude meant being lax in training, or not being receptive to ideas, or not working hard enough, he said, “Yes, all (of those). But including respect and appreciating coaches.”

Limpele hinted that he expected discipline from the entire group, putting the nation’s interest ahead of their own individual careers. “It’s how things work in all Asian countries where players are not individualistic and obey the system. Everywhere except India,” he said. “But I will try to change this attitude problem and make them better players.”

6. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Kudos to Limpele for stating the truth. Isn't he right ? I mean we all can see the attitude of our players be it in social media or the way they talk in interviews. The grudge between Saina and Sindhu, players like Manu/Reddy, Sikki/Ashwini and other players like Poorvisha/Meghana (when they were in NT) taking their national membership for granted. How can we forget our main players missing Thomas/Uber Cup giving a miss supposedly for preparations of other majors like "WC and Asian Games" ? And when the NT coach is in denial.

I think maybe he's talking about Dhruv Kapila (supposedly next big thing after Satwik) and other players like Shlok, Krishna, MR Arjun of complacent attitude in doubles players. Dhruv has his instastories and posts uploaded every now and then. If we don't behave like professionals, other coaches will start going out of India too. Stop being in self denial, players and change the attitude for God sake.

Cheung likes this.
  7. Swas44

Swas44 Regular Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fi...s-shuttlers-to-dizzy-heights-7828981.html/amp

Some more interesting points from Flandy:

“There is intense competition in Jakarta as they try to push one another to greater heights, but there is also camaraderie amongst them, and they all have the utmost respect for their coaches who impose the strictest discipline on them. In India, however, the foreign coaches are helpless in imposing discipline on the players, who often are a law unto themselves. If we want to impose some penalty on them, they simply laugh it off!”

Limpele insisted that absence of proper discipline amongst the Indian players (though he drew the line at naming any of the errant players) was the primary reason for the departure of Handoyo, known to be a stern taskmaster. No doubt the latter was not given sufficient power or autonomy to handle his charges the way he would have liked to have done.

Baddie lover and samkool like this.
  8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

These days I am seeing Sumit reddy and Satwik making live Instagram videos of training. It basically felt like they are having fun, 10-15 shuttles for a player and then another player.

Baddie lover likes this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    And as Gopi says its just those three months of dedication post qualification date that can bring medals in 2020, because they posses magical switch witch can turn on dedication suddenly :eek:.

The positive thing amidst all these is, for the first time I have seen Indian media doing proactively positive and constructive work.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. Baddie lover

Watch instaposts of Dhruv Kapila too. There is no strictness. The attitude is worse. It's more of a friend-guide relationship between Indian coaches' and players.

11. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think the relationship should be like a 90's father-kid relationship, A father who beats the sh*it out if anything is wrong but only for the benefit of the kid.

The stricter the training is the less errors there will be in a match, someone who sweats a lot in training doesn't want to give away points without making opponent sweat double. I sometimes feel that this the reason Srikanth, BSP give away easy points by silly mistakes, they logically cannot do better without stricter training, but even psychological barrier that they cannot ask for what they haven't paid for, its simple conditioning of behaviour.

From what I can think of the difference that strictness can make is very profound in terms of results, but when applied in training the line between being dedicated and not dedicated is very thin. Both dedicated guy and non-dedicated play PUBG but the dedicated one plays PUBG in between 2hrs training sessions, but a non-dedicated guy trains of 10-15 mins in between PUBG sessions.

Baddie lover likes this.
  12. Baddie lover

I agree to you. Very nicely briefed. They want coach who always gives them free hand or is not that strict. If the coaches become strict, players might think "oh we are now millionaires, who is he/she to tell me what I should do". Nowadays, relationship between teachers/parents and kids have become so much frank. I mean discipline was great back in 80s to early 2000s here. When they are getting too many facilities, they're slacking off.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  13. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I’m curious about how Indian national team players got selected and “updated”. In China it’s really tough to get into the national team and even harder to stay on. One has to train hard to stay afloat in competition. From what I read, it’s similar in other countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan and etc.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I spoke to an ex England player about the time when Park Joo Bong first arrived to coach the England team many years ago. I think Park might have been the first Asian person to coach the England team. I heard that there was some skepticism to his methods. Are there similarities to what Flandy is talking about?

badmuse likes this.
  15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The Indian National Team (A Team) is selected based on BWF world ranking. All Top 25 players are selected for the National Team. They need to maintain this ranking for 2-3 months before they are included. They are given 3-6 months before they are dropped from the National Team. Players who get injured are normally given a longer rope before they are removed.

Players can fund themselves for top tournaments if they are dropped or have not yet reached the top 25 rank.

Cheung likes this.
  16. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

While I agree that quite a few Indian players don't have a good attitude. I disagree that PV Sindhu has a 'bad attitude' and is one of the reasons for the departure of Kim Ji Hyun. Sindhu is not a player who trains less or does not work hard. Sindhu would not have won WC gold if her training was below par or if her attitude was poor.

Cheung and Baddie lover like this.
  17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yes, but can she train together with Saina? In a world where Jonathan Christie-Antony Ginting, Axelsen-Antonsen train together for the betterment of both can she do it?

18. Baddie lover

Valid question. Same can be asked of Saina. Will Saina agree to train with Sindhu ?

19. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I mean both of them.

20. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

they are afraid of exposing their weakness to each other