Chasse vs Back running

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Udbhav, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

So I was watching some footwork videos of professionals and I noticed something which I would like to confirm PicsArt_12-23-10.19.06.jpg

In the above image:-
    Blue lines :- Chasse steps
    Red lines :- Back running
    (The lines represent the path from center to the point of contact with shuttle)

So are my observations correct or I have been understanding it wrong?

2. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

I am curious to know about this as well. What do you mean by back running?

A) Is it you run backward with your face looking at the net? B) or you run forward towards the backcourt with your eyes looking at the backwall?

If the answer is A, I would almost avoid as it be difficult to regain your balance properly running forward and backward as your opponent will push/pull the shuttle to throw your balance off.

If your answer is B), assuming you are right handed, you run forward away from the net to your backhand corner in the left rear to hit a backhand. Or some people can do china jump to their backhand corner to do an overhead hit. I am totally confused how you can running away from the net to your forehand corner and hit the shot (as shown in the right rear red line).

I almost felt "back running" is not appropriate to your forehand rear corner. Any expert can chime in here?

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

It's broadly reasonable as an idea, but the big thing that's missing is the element of height, which does change the picture quite a bit.

For example, if any shuttle is played with point of contact over the back tramline, it must necessarily have been a very high lift/clear. In this case, it's almost backwards running steps rather than chasse steps (and probably a jump smash at pro play).

If you have flat lifts/clears that land into the corners, they will likely be intercepted early, so you'll see chasse steps for more things that are less than 2/3rds or maybe even 3/4s from the back in terms of contact point.

If they are not intercepted early, then you'd expect to see either running steps, or crossover steps + lunge (either FH or BH side), with the shuttle contacted low down in the back 1/3rd or 1/4 court.

Udbhav likes this.
  4. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

It's highly individual. For faster paced shots (except smash with follow through) most players would choose chasse steps simply because back running takes too long and would be difficult to time correctly. Chasse also allows for better anticipation: say you played a straight drop from your forehand side and you expect a straight lift, you can simply chasse back with your left foot in front, setting up for a jump should the lift come, and that way eliminating one or two extra steps

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I don't know why Udbhav hasn't answered your question to him. But I think he means neither..

What people mean when they say running steps would quite reasonably mean what you suggest 'a' or 'b'.. but a few here blur the term with crossing feet past each other..

So Udbhav probably means a cross-over step going backwards, and he would be much clearer if he said that,