Badminton Quiz

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Magwitch, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I wrote a 10-question multiple choice badminton quiz which I intend to submit to a quiz site online. I thought I'd post it here first to see if anyone has suggestions for improvements.

Widely considered the greatest singles player of all time, which Chinese badminton player has won a record five World Championships in men's singles?
    Lin Dan
    Chen Jin
    Xia Xuanze
    Chen Long

Nicknamed 'Super Dan', he became the first men’s singles player to win back-to-back Olympic gold medals by winning in 2008 and 2012.

True or false: The top of the net is the same height at the centre of the court as it is over the side lines for doubles
    False

The rules state 'The top of the net from the surface of the court shall be 1.524 metres at the centre of the court and 1.55 metres over the side lines for doubles.'

Which of the tennis Grand Slam tournaments does not share the same name as an international badminton tournament?
    Australian Open
    French Open
    Wimbledon
    US Open

The All England Open Badminton Championships is badminton's equivalent of Wimbledon, and is the oldest badminton tournament in the world. Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is held at the All England Club. For a time before badminton had an official world championships the All England Open was considered the unofficial world championships of the sport.

True or false: A badminton racket can be any length or width
    False

The rules state 'The racket shall be a frame not exceeding 680 mm in overall length and 230 mm in overall width.'

The interval between games of a match in badminton cannot exceed how many minutes?
    Two

The maximum interval allowed is precisely 120 seconds.

As of the conclusion of the 2019 World Championships, which country sits well clear atop the medal table for badminton at the Olympic Games and the World Championships?

South Korea
    China
    Denmark
    Indonesia

After the 2019 edition of the Badminton World Championships China had 66 gold medals.

True or false: If in attempting to serve the server swings and misses the shuttle it is a fault
    True

This rule is comparable to table tennis, in which swinging and missing the ball on serve is a fault.

In which decade was the first Badminton World Championships held?
    1950s
    1960s
    1970s
    1980s

The World Championships were first held in 1977. Since 2006 the Championships became an annual event, except that it is not held the year of an Olympic Games.

Susi Susanti, Joko Suprianto and Hendrawan all won singles titles at the Badminton World Championships representing which country?
    Thailand
    Malaysia
    Philippines
    Indonesia

Susanti also won the women's singles at the 1992 Olympics, becoming the first Indonesian to win a gold medal. The biopic 'Susi Susanti: Love All' was released in 2019.

In the third game of a badminton match, players change ends when a side first scores how many points?

If players do not change ends at this point it must be done as soon as the mistake is discovered and when the shuttle is not in play. The existing score stands.

Cheung likes this.
  2. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Actually I just noticed a mistake myself! I forgot to include three other options for the final question on changing ends. I guess 10, 12 and 13 would be my other options.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO the questions are for the average BC badminton nerd a bit too easy. The rule questions could be more difficult if you ask for an unusual example when several rules occur on both sides and what will happen.

Questions with names and countries are often too easy. First question would be tougher if you open it international. I personally think that history questions and questions across disciplines with several partner would be the toughest. With History and female players included you can design a much tougher quiz. Also inculding not asking questions only about the biggest nations and famoust could be tough.

Magwitch likes this.
  4. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Thanks, though I actually didn't explicitly clarify who the quiz is written for. It's for a site with user generated quizzes that was the biggest trivia site in the world before Sporcle. There aren't many badminton quizzes there, and my quiz is mainly targeted at people who don't play. I certainly didn't write it for BC nerds!

Because it's not meant to be too difficult I don't want to include non-Chinese players in the first question. The one about Indonesian players was meant to be guessable by those who had never heard of any of them.

5. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

The quiz is now online and playable! I've actually made a few alterations from what I posted above. When I went to submit it I found that some of the questions wouldn't be allowed, for example only experienced authors are allowed to submit true/false questions. The quiz is now a bit harder than it was before and has some additional information about the subject matter. Here's the link https://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Sports/Mixed-Badminton-399875.html

Cheung likes this.