HSBC BWF WORLD TOUR FINALS 2019 | 11-15 December (Group Stage-Final)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2019.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

As far as the popularisation of badminton is concerned, it is crucial for the BWF to engage in more in-depth dialogue with the national badminton associations. Many countries have their own particular economic and organisational circumstances, and in order for the federation to make a stronger impact at the grassroots level, which is vital for the future of badminton, it is imperative to be knowledgeable about these. Such dialogue would help the BWF to more accurately gauge what the challenges actually are. Asia, Europe, Oceania, and the Americas have totally different conditions; a multi-faceted approach is called for.

One positive aspect of such dialogue is that certain national initiatives may be picked up as 'best practices' and transferred to other countries or regions. To give one example, Japan's NBA, just this summer established a nationwide badminton fan-club, 'Bird Members'. In return for paying the equivalent of USD 30 per annum, one receives some originally-designed novelties (the usual badge, pen, membership card, etc.), as well as priority access to domestic tournaments and badminton festas (talk shows/badminton workshops given by national players).

But these goodies are not the point. The point is that people with average incomes (and there is a quite a base), who want to support badminton financially, have now been given a means of channelling their enthusiasm for the sport.

Whatever the case, a multi-level strategy is called for. More enlightened and individualised media coverage, as mentioned by @LenaicM, and more professionalism in terms of gadgets (more extensive use of hawk-eye; video-based evidence) are also absolute musts. But here again, at least as far as vamped-up media coverage is concerned, collaboration with national badminton associations is a prerequisite.

#1061 kurako, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    LenaicM and SpursIndonesia like this.
  2. Morten Frost Hansen

Morten Frost Hansen Regular Member

Dear All
    Thank you for your great inputs.
    Clearly you are very passionate about our sport, just like me.
    I will do my utmost to help improve the game.
    Happy New Year to all
    Signing out for now
    Morten

Sumanth99, LenaicM, djake and 2 others like this.
  3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yes, also US & Australia as well, badminton is truly concentrated in Asia. It would be a huge breakthrough if AUS or USA could host Super 1000 event.

4. azerez

azerez Regular Member

video replay like volleyball/basketball, players allowed to challenge fault, redraw if seeded players withdrawn to balance the bracket, world tour final rank based on top 10 tournament instead some players entering 20++ tournaments and sneaked into top 8, world tour final at neutral place(seriously, chinese announcer actually hyping the crowd to cheer their players during interval)
    more coverage from the tournament, need dedicated show analyzing the matches not just a couple 30 seconds video for start try to make video analyze play by play in final
    make video promotion from MD and XD matches, MD since is has a lot exciting rallies, XD since it's really unique where men and women can fight together(tennis has it but women can't do anything against male serve)

SpursIndonesia and fnd80 like this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Also, do we know if BWF will livestream the Olympics? I remembered having problems to watch the Rio matches. Its biggest multisport events but we are not sure where to watch it.

I remembered watching AhmadNatsir Final in the local channel provider and it was kinda blocked unless you use Antenna. Didnt watch the other finals as far as i remember it.

You know its OK that we have to pay for it, if we can see the whole matches from beginning. Even tennis.tv is using subscription models now.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it will depend on who bought the olympic broadcast rights in your country.

in the usa it will be region blocked because there is an 'olympic channel' which will own the rights to all olympic broadcasts. i don't remember being able to watch a live stream of rio from the usa, but the videos became available on badmintonworld.tv at a later date.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't see any Rio OG badminton games on badmintonworld.tv...or anywhere else...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

8. PoLLuX

PoLLuX Regular Member

Student
    1. Reduce the power of national association. Let more player play professionally. Let them register to tournament independently.

2. Create more club type environment for badminton. Do regional tournament for club such us UEFA and Champion league in football. Do it consistently.

3. Make draw of tournament more transparent. Do it at the eve of tournament. Make it live on BWF media

4. Better point distribution for champion and R1 finisher

5. Instant replay review!

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Currently in badminton, the only sector that is interesting is MD. THere are just many characters and interesting dynamics , style of play that other sectors cant replicate. Which discipline you can put 1980 player ike Boe against 1995 onwards and beat them at their will (beating HanZhou 3x, FajarRian 2x) and we are also witnessting the oldest WC & oldest SS FInal champ in Hendra. You can say he is from past generation, he has better technique , etc. But why cant we see it in WS or in MS? or worst of WD & XD. Even the great LD cant do anything to Momota.

The battle of top 8 in WS is exciting but a Womens game is a Womens game. I dont think it appeals more to broader public just like tennis.

10. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

To me, Tennis hasn't have women's game with both William sisters, look at them. This is far beyond women's game.

You know what I mean, ya.

#1070 terrynguyen121988, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Lol. But without the Williams, its even worst now. There s no player people wants to beat no more.

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    marin v sindhu

13. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

oh n one last thing i really need to say....

S*X sells

come on man....we got kournikova sharapova camila giorgi plastered everywhere

while in.badminton?

you put pretty ones on court 3 court 4 no chance viewing them anyhow except being in stadium directly

r u insane?

and.then.you got this boy-ish girl playing all over the place.....first-time viewers would say wth is this? they got tranvestite -half girl half boy playing this tennis-for-sissy game?

come on enforce rules girls have to wear skirts or something....it`s the least you could do

azerez, rhoder and cueteachme like this.
  14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

True but its specifically to the Women side of badminton..

15. It'sMeMeMe

bwf should.also look to incorporate badminton into big.movies...something like lexus putting.their cars into avengers movie or aston martin into james.bond movies

you can start very small like maybe jackie chan movie fighting scene - using badminton rackets to fight off bad guys...or jason statham fighting with limited edition chen long racket being auctioned or something

then you can slowly expand bigger with something like family movie showing the whole family playing badminton.regularly

it`s good.marketing into westerners country

16. It'sMeMeMe

dun care.... it`s just more ways to expand badminton

of course.i`m male.so i`m towards pretty....yuquall might be all towards ZhangNan.....:rolleyes:

besides we live in great times right now we got characters like AA Momota Kevin KamSon TwinTowers Stoevas.... use that....

17. cueteachme

cueteachme Regular Member

Man if this was on reddit i can just imagine the backlash you'd receive. I echo the same sentiment on how badminton is too sterile on a marketing level. Especially in the womans dept. Nobody can deny the skill and speed of some of the woman in the world tour but when a large number look like typical 14-16yr old chinese BOYS its seriously difficult to appeal to a broader audience for more moolah.

Marin,Sindhu, Huang Yaqiong,Okuhara and a few others are the only ones nearest to what the general public would consider as female. The obvious ones like Gronya and Mapasa unfortunately dont have the world beater skills but they get more attention outside of badminton.

Heck my wife is only interested in watching Okuhara/Huang even if we all know she isnt a true top 3 or 5 material. Otherwise Tennis is more visually appealing to watch for both genders. Except for Chou and Jonathan Christie almost all other guys look like malnourished accountants -_- (No fault of the sport itself since high performance badminton WILL make the body composition biased towards such a build. I recall Cheung once said a muscular upper is like lugging around an extra 20kg of unnecessary weight on court.)

rhoder and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  18. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Yes, because sexualizing female athletes while discriminating against those who do not meet the "standard of beauty or femininity" will DEFINITELY help promote badminton as a wonderful sport for all in the year 2020 and beyond.
    Maybe BWF should just tell certain players to not play because certain fans find them not "girly" enough or look too manly?
    How about just have the ladies wear bikinis and pose like anime characters between games?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kurdy_ and Biglever like this.
  19. It'sMeMeMe

:D:D:D:D:D

20. It'sMeMeMe

???

i only ask.the minimum girls wear skirts - and put matches with pretties on tv court to make.it more.appealing....

wrong?

sorry i`m male that`s all i can think of

maybe yuquall can suggest all male especially ZhangNan to play without shirt.... does that make you feel less salty?