Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Not this time :(

I thought they could make it after winning the 2nd game

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well, Steen said it loud and clear. "If you can't step up, you don't belong here."

rhoder likes this.
  3. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

To be a little bit like Liu yu chen, if I can ask?

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He is not LYC.
    Why don't you ask Marcus to be like LJH first then?

5. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Kevin isn't LYC,
    I just answered your question, my personal taste, what to be expected from Kevin in handling this kind of situation when his partner needs some encouragement

6. wade

wade Regular Member

Gotta feel bad for kevin, he played really well and score like 90% of minions points but nothing he could really do anymore when gideon was liability like that. kevin scored so many points from the backcourt and how many point did gideon score from there ? 1 ? this loss was on gideon yet again, sigh.

yuquall likes this.
  7. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Agree,
    Endo/Watanabe were so solid from the beginning till the end

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah but Kevin was doing his best to focus on his game especially when he had to do it on his own.
    Give him a break too. He had no idea what to do.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well there was nothing to threaten them except in G2.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I am so mad at Marcus... and people blaming Kevin?
    Sigh.. can only hope they will do better next time.:(

rhoder likes this.
  11. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

First time i've seen them doubting themselves (body language) like that. Hope kevin could be more supportive to gideon in the future, and i hope somehow gideon could improve his game come the olympics time.

12. konak

konak Regular Member

Kevin or Marcus need not learn to china's player about attitude on court, just look up to Hendra / Ahsan.
    Have you ever seen Ahsan or Hendra put on a sour face when their partners made several mistakes?

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Do you want to be like Gill, being mother figurative going to spoil Marcus?

Steen, as a coach, didn't approve Marcus approach to the match today. He, himself, needed to step up on his own. Not feeling sorry about himself. Reach out to Kevin.
    Yes I have. They are just being less expressive and hard to tell.
    Have you ever seen Ahsan or Hendra put on a defeated face or body language after losing one game?

14. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I’ll let out my thoughts here

Some people, including Steen, have commented that Kevin should be more encouraging to Marcus. But if one thinks from Kevin’s POV, he’s 24, supposed to be in his prime, but stuck with a clearly incapable partner till he takes part in OG 2020. With his talent, he should be achieving more with a decently capable partner. I think anyone in his position would be raging, and it’s difficult to fault him for that. Obviously in an ideal world he would be supportive all the way, but he’s human too, and he’s been covering for Gideon for quite some time now, occasionally we see that hidden frustration that I suspect has been accumulating for more than a year (We saw it in BAC this year as well)

Marcus is very mediocre for a top 10 player right now. His smash is decent but poor compared to other rear court players, not sharp at the net, has poor grip technique that has impeded his defensive ability. And he doesn’t have strong mental attributes. His biggest strength is touted to be his solidity, but he hasn’t been consistently that solid at all. Sure, sometimes like in Japan Open, where Kevin felt really assured and then could play his best and we saw how impressive they were. But most of the time, even where they won tournaments, it’s been the case of hoping Marcus keeps his mistakes minimal while Kevin tries to get more winners to compensate. When Kevin can’t play winners as often, typically under slower conditions, then these errors from Marcus start to be reflected in the scoreline for everyone to see. I have no idea what happened, but 2017 he was darned good at all those attributes above, but since 2018AE his form seems to have taken a permanent hit, together with his mentality and confidence.

Now, the good thing is that despite such weaknesses, they have been able to consistently win Superseries tournaments. And in my opinion, their best tournament this year has been the Japan Open, at the very venue the Olympics will be held next year. We saw them undergo this exact struggle this time last year, and as recently as BAC this year, but Gideon managed to find his form to perform very well at the Japan Open. And I think the hope for them would be that Marcus will be able to find that same form around the same time (June-July period) at the Olympics.

I’m surely going to be flamed for being too harsh on Marcus. But we’ve started the year with this situation and ended with the exact same one. If one year is not enough to fix the problems, I am not optimistic these problems will be permanently solved by OG next year. What we can hope, is that for that short period, their form can hit the highs and capture that elusive title.

wade likes this.
  15. wade

wade Regular Member

At this point i just hope they didn't meet yuta/endo at the olympics, i just don't see them beating yuta/endo in the slow hall.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Why these constant defeats to endo/Watanabe?

@yuquall

17. wade

wade Regular Member

Maybe because kevin is still young, and the pressure is just too much on him to do everything, i hope he can be more mature in the future.

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Actually I do see them beating Endo/Wata. Marcus being timid is not just "especially" against Endo/Wata, but could be to any pair in big events too. Even didn't the coach told Marcus "You have to try, can't be afraid" or something like that in the interval? Coach doing his best to up his confidence rather than technical stuff.

Seriously, are they going to just wish they don't meet certain pair in draws rather than work something out? I don't think so.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You ask me? Everyone said that Kevin is not supportive of his "There is no way someone talentless like me could vary smash, not breakdown or not make unforced errors or to defend or to be confident or to score winners or I am too scared of my younger partner getting angry at me" overthinking partner.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  20. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

No, they should be able to find a way to beat endo/watanabe before Olympic
    They almost did that in HKt, it's still visible
    Herry IP isnt awarded the best coach by Steen & Gill for nothing :D
    They'll learn