HSBC BWF WORLD TOUR FINALS 2019 | 11-15 December (Group Stage-Final)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

Just curious. How does yuta has the stamina to handle 2 disciplines. Will he be tired?

2. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

Yes, really unfair. He should have been rewarded for beating both number ones. Now he has to play them again and they will have that extra motivation. What happened to Michelle Li?

3. ong huigen

Well. Michelle li did not qualify for WTF because bwf changed the cut off date at the last minute. Michelle li thought that the final competition that is used for wtf calculation is china open but was only informed very late that Hong Kong and Korea open was used as calculation as well. If she participated in those 2 competition, she would be the one who qualify Instrad of busanan.

kenner30 likes this.
  4. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Why bother with the stupid point system when there'll be a another draw for the semis? YutaWata wasted so much energy in game 3 for what??? CTC became another victim of the brilliant BWF logic :rolleyes:
    ChenJia and LeeShin must be doing the happy dance knowing MatsuNaga will likely boot FukuHiro.

5. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

[QUOTE
    Well, group winners won’t face each other. So technically there is an incentive to win the group.

Manu tournaments (eg Champions League) use this strategy. The problem here is there are only TWO groups

lodoss, azerez, fnd80 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ong huigen

I dun think even in champions league, teams play against the team they already played in the group.

7. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

They do since there is a draw in the quarters but in the group stages, no teams will play each other from the same league.
    Tournaments like the World Cup and Champions League works because teams are allowed to play their b team if they have enough points to advance. Barca did it a couple years back and their b team still won the game. There's no "lack of effort" accusation.
    They do since there is a draw in the quarters but in the group stages, no teams will play each other from the same league.
    Tournaments like the World Cup and Champions League works because teams are allowed to play their b team if they have enough points to advance and rest players. Barca did it a couple years back and their b team still won the game. There's no "lack of effort" accusation.

LenaicM likes this.
  8. ong huigen

I am pretty sure teams in the same group do not play each other immediately in the next round. This one is ridiculous. A very good example. Yamaguchi just lost to cyf. Now she had to play her again immediately. You dun need to be a rocket scientist to guess who is going to win.

It's OK. You can have your own "opinion". I will choose to respect.

The issue now is not about the winner playing the runner up. It's about playing the same opponent again in the next round

Anyway. I "respect" your opinion.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. ong huigen

It makes a mockery of finishing 1st in the group since there is no difference in finishing 1st or 2nd anyway.

trizzforce likes this.
  10. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

The thing is, with only 2 groups and 2 qualifiers per group, if you don’t want players from the same group to meet in SF, then the only way is to have cross-group matchups, which means the matchups are determined not random. This does open the door for “choosing” SF opponents in the last round.

I don’t think there are any good solution here. Either way BWF is gonna get blamed.

fnd80 likes this.
  11. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Hmmm... If you think CYF going to beat Yamaguchi again, you could be very wrong. I believe Yamaguchi was conserving energy for the semi. She doesn't need to win to qualify for semi and hence there is no incentive to top the group. By loosing, she get to play against either CYF again or Okuhara which she has a better H2H.

#491 hyun007, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    pjswift likes this.
  12. Winterhearted

Winterhearted New Member

Just have watched GIDEON/SUKAMULJO (INA) vs. KAMURA/SONODA (JPN). Great game but these clears in MD... What is wrong with attack in this tournament? Is it slow shuttlecock or high roof or something else?

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

All of the above plus cold temperature in the evening.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Exactly, no one ever (with some exceptions) really gave 100% playing this winner or runner up match. They want to save up their energy for the real SF and for the F afterward.

15. azerez

azerez Regular Member

should be instantly final between group stage winners lol

fanyy likes this.
  16. ong huigen

I did provide a solution above.

17. ong huigen

Normally I would agree with you. But then I think yamaguchi has a confidence issue right now if she can have a good result against cyf it will do her a lot of good.

If we discard this result. Would she be able to beat okuhara based on her previous 2 games. I would say no.

She needed this win more then cyf actually.

#497 ong huigen, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  18. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

You never know who will win. I think it was 2017 when minions lost to kamson in grp stage, meet them again in semis and won. Minions was the event winner that year I think...
    Because there are only 2 groups there is no solution to please everyone.
    They can either expand the number of players or change to knock out

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    best md players: watanabe & sukamuljo
    underrated: endo
    worst: marcus needs to get a grip on his emotions. i figure his inner head game is costing them at least 7 points per game, meaning their opponents only need to score 14.

yuquall likes this.
  20. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Yup! Having another draw is pointless with only two groups. Should've just went with cross elimination or knockout.
    I actually think players have the right to play however they feel in the last round. If you worked hard to secure a top spot, then you earned the right to take a "breather" for the semi and also avoiding potential injury.
    YutaHiga will have to go through both of the Chinese pairs to win the trophy instead of having the Chinese pairs battling it out first. Securing that top group finish have done them a massive disservice.

azerez, trizzforce and fnd80 like this.