How acceptable the player's service is?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by minions, Sep 2, 2019.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

I'm quite bored as no big tournaments show up. Here, I just create this thread about your opinion about the player's service. There are a lot of variations about service. Some of them is acceptable, some of them are not. I just want to know your opinions. Cast aside the legality.

In one particular service type, some of them are okay with it. But, some of them are not. Just look at the opinion about Choi's serve.

Might as well to discuss about all of the service things that happen this year. So, what kind of the player's service that's acceptable to you? And what is not acceptable to you?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thread moved to rules sub forum

3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

All serves that abide by the rules are acceptable to me. All serves that do not follow the rules are not.

Do you have a particular serve you want to discuss? If so, can you post/link to a video showing that serve?

4. minions

minions Regular Member

Not really. Just want to ask for opinion. Because everyone's view is different.

5. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    What is your opinion on how long a player can delay the service. Is there any concrete rule in badminton that a player should serve before 'n' secs after coming to ready position to serve. Some say 5 secs but I am pretty sure in few occasions, players like Choi/Boe have delayed more than that. If there is no rule, do you think there should be one to avoid unwanted delay in serve?

Play hard. Train harder.

Simeon likes this.
  6. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Copied from badmintonbible:

Delays

Neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of the server’s racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2) shall be considered an undue delay.

This is really two rules rolled into one. First, you cannot hold your serve indefinitely, hoping that the receiver will lose concentration or become uncomfortable. Similarly, the receiver cannot delay indefinitely.

How long is an undue delay? The rules don’t say, because it’s left to the umpire’s discretion. In club play, you just have to be reasonable. I suggest you should not take more than five seconds to serve (once ready).

The second part of the rule is a convoluted way of saying something quite simple: when serving, you cannot pause between backswing and forwards swing. Many club players use this pause to upset the receiver’s timing. That is against the rules: it’s a fault.

You might be sceptical about my interpretation here, but I am following official guidance from Badminton England. If you pause between backswing and forwards swing when serving, you’re breaking the rules.

Of course, you don’t have to keep the same speed of swing, and you can also serve without using a backswing at all.

Note that this rule also forbids an extremely slow serving action, because that would constitute an undue delay.

phihag and LenaicM like this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Depend on the where the match is done.
    In tournament, its all depend on the judge. I think no exact rule about it, just the judge previlege if he consider 5 sec is short time & acceptable or to long. So its all depend on the judge perspective i guest.

On club area, it less strict as its depend on personal player. We player become our own judge.
    On my club we had so many variety of serve style. If we want to strict by the rule, few of them considered fault as the serve is kinda to high. But in actuall, as long as its not in an extreme way, we just let it go especially if the player is just a beginner.

Then on the delay, on serious games sometimes we also doing thing like this. Its part of tactics to ruin opponent adrenaline or to get some breath. Thing like wipe some sweat, slowly walking to take the shuttle, or simply asking the score even tho i know what the score is.
    Well, as long you didnt delay it for like 5 minute, 30s delay is ok & no one complain about it. But again its different between club & people as we become our own judge.

LenaicM likes this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

30 secs delay service is not okay. :eek:
    You must have thought about the delays between rallies.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

:Dagain its not official competition with judge & just club level competition without judge, so the rule is less strict & each club had its own level of acceptance about this. Some are easy going, some kinda strict.

10. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

On wednesday Endo got called for waiting too long early in the match, a decent call. A couple of days later Boe did it way worse for three games out, the opponent nearly fell over at one point and it started being pretty unfair. It was never addressed. When I was an umpire we had talks at a tournament to ensure equal rulings.

11. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Which was the event-tournament?
    Any link/s to the matches?
    You also write in past tense about umpiring? Why? Why are you no longer umpiring?

12. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Dunno, it was that week. Must have been the championships?

Yeah I did it for a couple of years, did some national competition and some tournaments here in The Netherlands. Stopped because I had to travel a lot and liked playing more than umpiring. Actually took coaching classes later and am now a coach, much more fulfilling for me!

13. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

14. Swaraj Lakshman

Swaraj Lakshman Regular Member

Hello,
    Kindly bear with my doubt, is it allowed to slice the shuttle at its base while doing a backhand serve ? The height is within 115cms. Gifs are attached.
    Kindly assist. Thank you.
    Regards
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

15. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes, that is allowed, §9.1.5 of the laws just requires the racket to hit the base first. Many good players serve with a slice.

16. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Slicing is allowed but not sure if you can supernate your wrist to that extent. I don’t think you are allowed move your racket or forearm too much.. just like in that gif image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vignesh KM likes this.
  17. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Can you cite the precise rule you are referring to?

18. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Well I don’t have the rule book.. but I have grown up with those of rules only. Correct me if it’s wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. phihag

phihag Regular Member

You can read the official badminton laws online. The only rule that mentions racket movement is §9.1.7, and it does not limit the speed of arm rotation at all.
    I'm sorry to say that the rule you refer to is a house rule, only applicable in your group of players, and not part of the official badminton rules.

Swaraj Lakshman and Vignesh KM like this.
  20. fasdfee3

fasdfee3 New Member

I am pretty sure in few events, gamers like Choi/Boe have behind schedule extra than that. If there is no rule for small business, do you watched there should be one to avoid undesirable postpone in serve?