YONEX-SUNRISE HONG KONG Open 2019 : Qualification-FINAL (12-17 November)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Yoji, Nov 10, 2019.

1. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Happens all the time in tennis.
    The point shall be played again.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

unfortunately, yes. but it will change how Badminton is viewed.

3. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Better to not dwell too much about it, or send in proper complaints about the judge. Don't be like me, I'm still sometimes upset at Lee Chong Wei's winning shot in the All England in 2010 being out, maybe Tago would have won it all if it went to 3 games that year. It's not the first time it happens in badminton.

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah that is miles out. However, there is hawkeye in Court1/(or Court2) for most of SF/F day today.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You are back :)

Have missed you.

6. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

They can see the video replay and could do something to overturn a call that is obviously wrong.

Not their job? That's what led to Auschwitz.
    They are called tournament REFEREE. If they can't make those calls, they are useless.

7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Don't you think it's getting stretched a lot and bringing terms like Auschwitz. Really? Sympathies to Ginting, but BWF is to blame here. And if you were the umpire, what would have been your decision in that split second ? Umpires have also taken bad decisions of previous net kills and shuttle touching the bodies of other players and those players not accepting. Why don't you blame the players too ? It's too hard to be an umpire. I know it hurts to see one's favourite player lose like that but putting all blame on the umpire is not right imo. Having said that it's high time BWF started introducing review system for the betterment of the sport.

8. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

yep video reviews for the net situations would be the best solution, and it is not that expensive as opposed to hawk eye.

SpursIndonesia likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

this comparison is useless. Further references to the holocaust will be deleted.

trizzforce, Clay-more and wjsutanto like this.
  10. whatAHassle

Not really streching it. It all happens slowly like a frog being boiled. It is nobody's fault. "They're just dound their job".
    Oh that problem ? "Not my job", "Not my responsibility"

If the umpire is going to make a call like that on a championship point, it is ENTIRELY HIS FAULT if he messes up.

BWF's fault ? Who exactly within BWF does the fault incumb to ? The nameless entity?

The net did not move, Ginting did not touch the net, the shuttle crossed over to his side before he hit it back? What other call could you possibly make other than awarding the point to Ginting, Back level. 2 points to decide the match?

Calling a fault in a situation like that is a call you should make with the same certainty as if your life depended on it.

Wrong net calls have in the past, seriously influenced the momentum of a match, almost costing the victory the the wrongfully faulted party, but it is the first time I've watched and witnessed a WRONG net call GIFT a championship to a player.

Too hard to be an umpire? Give me a break.
    Umpires are volonteers? Give me a freaking break.
    What is that ? An appeal to sympathy?
    THOUGH LUCK !

It was an UNECESSARY call. And not making that call would've still allowed both players to battle it out for a well deserved WIN or LOSS.

Also, it really annoys me when a discussion devolves into a "FAVORITE PLAYER" argument.

As far as I am concerned, LCY is to blame. I will always see him as crook. So desperate for victory that he celabrates somebody being defrauded and then goes tk hug him to show "sportsmanship". Sportsmanship my ass.
    He could've still won it fair and square but I suppose the end justifies the means.

I am done discussing this since everybody else seems to find what happened tolerable.

Amlite and SpursIndonesia like this.
  11. whatAHassle

I am not comparing what happened to Ginting to the holocaust. My point is : when we look back at history and wonder how the hell something like that could've possibly happened, well it is not is small part caused by the the mentality : "it is not my job, not my responsibility".

12. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

You wanna carry a death sentence then?
    Thanks to the replay (when the match got over) , you're able to say all this things which is indeed true. But still my question, what would have been your answer in that split second ? You just like me as a spectator enjoy the luxury of watching a replay which umpires don't.
    I'll have your common sense make that answer.
    Sports is sports. Don't exaggerate that losing is equal to death or life depended on it.
    Agreed. That's why association needs to bring review system.
    If there is no point giving sympathy, then no point ranting.
    Not a reference to you but generally, Sameer Verma also had a bad call going against him vs SYQ in last year WTF Semis. I was upset but didn't stretch it this far. He was one or two points away from victory.
    I don't know whether you really know the meaning of sportsmanship or respect. Ginting is a great sportsperson, humble personality. Even if he doesn't win people will cherish his attitude for long. Well most people. And what's the mistake LCY committed, may I know ? It's easy to attack from typing in keyboard or mobile. LCY indeed thought it was a fault and he didn't have a luxury of watching the replay , duhh ?
    You need to be more tolerant. Ginting accepted it as a great sportsperson but you're not able to accept. And sportsmanship your ass ? Good that you're not a sports person. It's good for badminton not to have Nick Kyrgios.

I won't comment more. Thank you.

visor, SpursIndonesia and Giga01 like this.
  13. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#573 tepokbulu, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  14. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I think slowly, over time, he'll find ways to live with that.

samkool likes this.
  15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Let's get over it guys. Time to move on.

Clay-more, Cheung and wjsutanto like this.
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    if it's a fake it's a perfect fake, haha!

it's worded in the exact manner i would expect from bwf: something that says one thing but doesn't really mean anything and leads to nothing.

19. minions

minions Regular Member

20. viver

viver Regular Member

Never been really away, it's almost impossible to leave badminton even still not that great fan of this 21-point system. Just busy with work and not much time around. Best thing, got my wife 'hooked' in the sport as well and was watching the HK Open online with her. ;):)

lodoss and Cheung like this.