YONEX-SUNRISE HONG KONG Open 2019 : Qualification-FINAL (12-17 November)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Yoji, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

WW3 then ? :p

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It would cost much less if they let the umpire review the slow motion video from different angles before making any decision, at least for the last couple of points of the match when the score was freaking tight like 19-19 or above in G3?

3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

lol. if the HK fans are as devilish as what you think, then probably the one to worry is the umpire, not Ginting.
    and yes, if you really are unhappy over the decision, you can challenge.

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well its not just the country its players effort. Man i will love to see AA/Viktor rages on that seeing how many times they did this kind of thing as well.

Ginting is too nice a guy, he doesnt deserve this.

so much for people talking the flamboyance character right..

Honestly thats what you get for being nice.

5. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

Spare the umpire ? You must be joking !

Consider the situation:

- if you are unsure, but call a fault, it is over. Not only match point, but championship point.

- if you don't make the call, they go back level and there are 2 points to decide the game.

You can make the the call, BUT YOU BETTER BE GODDAMN SURE.

He made a call on a fault that wasn't one and maybe cost one player a title, a few thousand ranking points, prize money and who knows what more.

Spare the umpire, really?
    How about he stops messing with players lives?

#525 whatAHassle, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Father Parrot likes this.
  6. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

Lol have you ever seen a tournament referee overtun a call? They are pretty much useless in resolving those kind of issues.

#526 whatAHassle, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    SpursIndonesia likes this.
  7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Of course, i am worried of Ginting career too. He is one of the most exciting players in MS which is full of robotic players (KM, CL , JC , CTC)

sautom88 and whatAHassle like this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

In earlier stage, in the match between Lu/Chen vs the Adcocks. I wasn't so sure how it happened, but the CHN pair argued that Chris touched the shuttle before it went out, and the ENG said it wasn't a touch.

The CHN took G1 and the score was 23-22 in G2, match point to CHN. Arguments went on. The Umpire ended up calling the service judge at first then the referee. They had some discussion which I had no idea since it was not Offical live streams. Anyway, in the end that rally was called a let. The score was back to 23-22. CHN was unhappy (can't really blame them).

The result of that match by the way, the Adcocks overturned Lu/Chen in G2 25-23 and won G3 hence the match.
    Was it the right call? Since it was in Round 32, no video available to review the rally or the last shot. So the actual 'fault' was remained unknown.

But if it was final match with many camera from different angles, it should be possible to review the shot before making any critical decision.

9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i believe the umpire was damn sure when he made the call, much like the umpire who faulted CTC in the Indonesian Open a few months ago.

SpursIndonesia likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hi guys.

I went to the stadium with my kid. As you know HK has had riots recently and some stand offs at universities. One of the remaining places is Polytechnic University (Poly U) which is really close to the Coliseum where HK open is held. How close is close? About 60metres to a bridge, you cross the bridge and you are on the doorstep of Poly U itself. That’s very close. The rioters have taken over the poly itself , the bridge and occupied it. It is not a throughfare anymore. it also is above a very busy main highway and this has been blocked by the protestors.

It has been a standoff today between police and protestors. I was in the stadium with my kid. In the middle of Ginting and Lee CY match, I looked at my phone and there was a sudden increase in police presence reported. Then the station underneath the coliseum had been closed (7pm or so). These are our warning signals of get away as quick as possible. I picked up my kid from her friends group and we left very quickly. From a safe distance, we saw a firebomb start on the bridge and heard the sound of rubber bullets being fired. There was a press guy next to us who had lamented that he had been inside most of the time and only popped out for a coffee and then couldn’t get back in. He told us the student inside were super organised with logistics and supply lines. Up on the roof, they fired arrows. We know they took some chemicals from a lab and the university has reported it (maybe for making bombs). He also told us that some of the protestors are from 13 years old and above making him feel old (he is in his midwenties). We watched for a while and then left to walk another twenty minutes to the next station which was still running. As we got to our own home station, it was suddenly announced that it was closing in a few minutes. That’s the sign of impending trouble. We ended up being ok.

I just wondering how the heck they still managed to play the mixed doubles. Some people had left before us but the stadium was pretty full of Hong Kong and Indonesian supporters. Later, I saw a live video of the fire on the bridge getting worse and there was a police vehicle totally on flames.

trizzforce, kurako, yuquall and 8 others like this.
  11. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yeah, I hope there is technology that can judge net shots like Ginting's net shot, and also to judge if the player served above the service height. Hopefully, that technology can come sooner rather than later.

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

are you saying the Hung Hom station already closed at 7PM? That is MTR right?

13. Gacon1234star

Gacon1234star Regular Member

You can praise Ginting as much as you want, but please dont take down anyone else just to make your favorite players more brilliant

skhai91 and lodoss like this.
  14. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

:eek: 60m + a bridge :eek: .......... glad u n dd home ok!!

15. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Terrible! I just watched a clip and just pray everyone will be OK :(

lodoss likes this.
  16. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

glad u and your kid are alright. hope life will be back to normal for the HK people.

17. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

It's not a fault, to me

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes. Maybe even slightly earlier than 7pm

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yeah. It's really close to the stadium. The stadium entrances facing that side had been closed and blocked off and we had to leave by one of the other sides away from the danger area. After five months of all this going, we learn to recognise the danger signs. I brought less camera equipment this year just in case I needed to be more mobile and make a quick exit. Sadly proved to be true. Some people like to get close to the action and complain about police behaviour. Me is, just get out first and get to play or watch badminton another day.

20. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Yuta/Arisa take their chance quite well.

I mean, look at the top of XD with Zheng/Huang and Wang/Huang joining >100k point club and Yuta/Arisa managed to win a title.

trizzforce likes this.