Nozomi Okuhara ( 奥原希望 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That's it she is number 1, she reached the top of the rankings. But is it really the top? Well it's just a number for a few weeks or months but it could also be an indicator of her performances. I like to think she has room for improvements until Toko 2020

According to The Japan Times she said: "I’m happy since it was one of my goals, but I’m not overjoyed at reaching No. 1 without winning a title (this year)".

Source: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...1-womens-singles-world-rankings/#.Xbg2Z7fTVkw

Pcyl likes this.
  2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Extremely frustrated with the way Chen Yufei is playing. Resting each and every time there is a long rally! The umpire should notice these things especially in a match that physical.

Well Chen Yufei can live with herself with this kind of victory!

3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Again at 19-16 she is sitting on the floor purposely to take more time! This is cheating! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Another final loss for Nozomi... she has been doing so good lately yet still missing a little something. 6 months before Tokyo, everything is possible!

5. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

whats wrong with that?

6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Did you even watch the match?

7. pradeep chand

no, I watched only half match

8. pradeep chand

no, I watched only half match

9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

o_O Just to be clear I am rooting for NO but we must not have seen the same match. CYF deserves her victory and won that match fair and square.

That seems totally exagerated to me to say she is cheating because she didn't get up within few seconds after a dive on a long rally during a third setter of a final.

No rules give a specific time limit before getting up and umpires do use their own judgement before reminding the player it is too much delay. Honestly that was nothing extreme from CYF.

NO has better stamina and endurance while her style is based on rallying, on the other hand CYF's game is based on attacking. Obviously there are different strategies in play from those 2 players, including speeding up or slowing down between rallies but none were cheating today.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    bwf refuses to install a shot clock rule... a time limit between points. you do not need more than 15 seconds between points to get in position, which is the average time during game 1 across all events.

https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/08/shot-clock-liked-players-who-take-their-time/75987/

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    general info: she took 1 min 5 seconds to get in position.

this is bwf's fault, not the players. they are not violating any laws of badminton as they are currently written: outdated, vague & ambiguous. wtf else is new? :rolleyes:

LenaicM likes this.
  12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

After playing a long rally on the final of the tournament and a dive? I never seen a player getting back to their feet and ready to swing within 1 min. Most players will towel down and ask for some mopping and such.

I'm not saying the BWF couldn't implement a rule although I dont see how could it be applied (ie what when a player is injured or having a small injury) but my point is just about @Quentin11 saying she is cheating. Yes she took her time and definitely used this as a strategy to recover but cheating?

Justin L likes this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, all within tolerable limit, otherwise the umpire would've intervened and warned her, even issuing a yellow card, at least.

14. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

Actually the problem isn't there. I think if Okuhara wants to win, she must have the initiative to attack / get points with her own ability, not waiting for the opponent to get tired/makes mistake. The two Chinese coaches said several times to CYF that there was no need to be afraid of Okuhara attack, there is no threat :eek:

Justin L and visor like this.
  15. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Okay maybe cheating was a bit of an emotional response from my part. But I definitely do not agree with the way each time she recovered after the long rallies. You can take a bit of time, but she exaggerated imo.

LenaicM likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For tennis, they have the 25-second countdown to start the next point after the umpire announces the score. But Nadal is critical of it.

Maybe badminton can consider something similar, but bear in mind tennis is much shorter per game ( not match) and there are many breaks in between. Also, I consider pro badminton more physically demanding than tennis, and I'd rather watch a quality match than a war of attrition.

LenaicM likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You sounded like a sore loser to me.

18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

She did take her time I totally agree. But that's nothing illegal or we could call cheating within the current BWF rules.

Justin L likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Still, it's for the umpire to decide. And why didn't Nozomi and her coaches complain?

20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Considering the BWF has been trying to reduce the length of matches since decades for TV exposure purposes we can bet they did consider reducing time between rallies. If they didn't we can trust it is for a valid and good reason. I believe that would affect the sport negatively and I don't think athletes would receive a time-limit-between-rallies sort of rule happily.