FUZHOU CHINA Open 2019 : R/32-FINAL (05-10 November)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

having mental trauma is even worse than physical one... :/

2. wade

wade Regular Member

Fajri and ahsan/hendra both on court 3/4 tomorrow...how lame

3. minions

minions Regular Member

Please explain the truth. How much do you know about her? You only see what you see and turn it into the "truth". Stop acting as if you know her really well.

I doubt peoples can let CM go if she fakes an injury. They may even think that she makes an excuse. Yeah, just like you, I don't see anything wrong with her retiring. Apparently, some peoples here tend to view her negatively.

I can understand you. Most of the tournaments have some peoples here complaining about the scheduling. Unfortunately, nothing can be done. I do agree that some of the matches from Ct.3/4 are more exciting than some matches from Ct.1.

LenaicM likes this.
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, pocketing 6-3 favourable stats prior to Fuzhou meeting including their last two encounters, Ng KL definitely is one of toughest opponents to beat. Ng should be familiar and knows how to exploit Ginting weakness well, often pushing into the baseline, corner to corner that causing the Indonesian difficult to retrieve shuttlecock properly.

For women's singles first day highlight, Carolina Marin as reported by BWF news, complaining about fever and throat infection that forcing the Spaniard retired, 21-16 / 13-1 to Tai Tzu Ying. Another big name tumbled, Pusarla Sindhu who lost to the underdog Pai Yu Po, the Indian seems back to off form post bagged prestigious World Championships gold medal last August.

ROUND OF 32 - PART 2 (10.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...303F12-E5BF-4D78-BB58-9E1236DD64A1&d=20191106

*MATCH HIGHLIGHTS*
    - Lin Dan (CHN) v Chen Long (CHN)
    - Shi Yuqi (CHN) v Son Wan Ho (KOR)
    - Kantaphon Wangcharoen (THA) v Anders Antonsen (DEN)
    - Cai Yanyan (CHN) v Saina Nehwal (IND)
    - Sung Ji Hyun (KOR) v Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
    - Sonia Cheah (MAS) v Akane Yamaguchi (JPN)
    - Li JH/Liu YC (CHN) v Choi SG/Seo SJ (KOR)
    - Huang KX/Liu C (CHN) v Astrup/Rasmussen (DEN)
    - Lee Y/Wang CL (TPE) v Ahsan/Setiawan (INA)
    - Du Y/Li YH (CHN) v Kititharakul/Prajongjai (THA)
    - Ellis/Smith (ENG) v Goh SH/Shevon Lai (MAS)
    - Hoki/Nagahara (JPN) v Jordan/Oktavianti (INA)

Giga01 and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  5. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

Imagination ? What imagination ? What are you even talking about?

I don't need to be an insider to understand what is in front of my eyes...

We saw :
    TAI loose against Akane when she was ill (Indonesia Open iirc)
    Axelsen loose to Christie after a 9 point lead due to cramps (French Open)
    Shi Yu Qi be destroyed by Sitthikom Thammasin due to blisters (Macau Open)
    Akane loose to Yeo Jia Min at the WC due to developing an injury (her back?)

but all of them finished their matches.

It is one thing to retire due to being injured. It is another to not finish the game claiming "sickness" as an excuse.

Hasn't been feeling well the past few days ? LOL

pp35, rajat_remar, trizzforce and 3 others like this.
  6. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Right...just like li/liu when they played liu/zhang at the WC, no need to be an insider to see there's something wrong with that match.

7. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

so now you admit that she's sickness and not faking sickness. Sickness of course is the reason, not something has to find to be an excuse.

8. minions

minions Regular Member

No, man. He didn't admit it. That's why he quoted the "sickness".

9. vozer here

just by his eyes? Bwf need to fire all their doctors and hiring him

10. minions

minions Regular Member

Lol, hahaha. Let him try if he think that his observation is so great that he declares it as a truth.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

There we go again - what about the Marcus/Kevin vs Alfian/Adianto match at the Victor China Open? And how is this related to the CM's retirement match on grounds of sickness?

Who are you to judge, not BWF officials? Have you lodged a complaint against Marin? BWF chose to believe her and gave her the benefit of the doubt? If I'm not wrong, TTY once retired a match (to I forgot who) after G1 citing some injury or discomfort, I mean, what's the big deal? Do we have to see her play on and lose miserably 0-21, any entertainment value, what purpose does it serve? Likewise for CM.

Btw, Marin's H2H record with Tai TY is 6 - 8 in TTY's favour, in general, a normal, competitive outcome, not heavily-lopsided. In yesterday's match, Marin lost pathetically, 16-21, 1-13 retired; in their previous encounter at the French Open about two weeks ago, Marin beat TTY in commanding fashion, 21-16, 21-9.

In short, my point is, let the players decide what's best for themselves as long as they don't violate the BWF rules for which there are appropriate actions in place. Just like BWF, I'd give the players the benefit of the doubt.

In this case, is TTY complaining (say, of being denied the gleeful satisfaction of humiliating CM 21-1 to avenge her previous 9-21 embarrassment)?

Relax, folks, no need to kick up " a storm in a teacup".:):D

Giga01, Hassefar60, LenaicM and 3 others like this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Makes me wonder, if Marin had played on (assuming she's really unwell, not fully recovered from her illness a few days ago) and lost G2, 1-21, a fiasco - would BWF - on the supposition they disbelieve her excuse of sickness - charge her for not putting in her best effort and bringing the sport into disrepute?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Besides, bear in mind, we are half-way through the Olympic Qualification period, I'm sure nobody would want to see any Olympic aspirant sustaining any injury or falling seriously ill, do we? So let's give all the would-be Olympians a bit more leeway, and live and let live. That's just my opinion.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. Clay-more

Clay-more Regular Member

I don't have a problem with CM's decision to retire. She seems like an obnoxiously competitive person so I don't think she would have taken this decision to retire lightly.

That said, why should "would-be Olympians" get more leeway? As pointed out before, forum members aren't BWF officials so our opinions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. But people should be able to express their feelings/theories on the end of the match, whether positive or negative and whether the player is an Olympian, World Champion or a wild card entry.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fair enough, I respect that. Anyway, the point is: what rule did Marin break? Didn't BWF give her the benefit of the doubt, that's the little bit of leeway I have in mind without any rule violation, of course. I am also just expressing my view, regardless of my subjective opinion of Marin's personality ( frankly, I'm not her fan either though I admire her skills and tenacity but that's beside the point). Cheers.

16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I think people tend to only see the worst in others, which is a shame. In my humble opinion, Marin had issues right from the start.

For example, she returned the shuttle to places where TTY wasn't standing at all several times. What other explanation could there be for that other than issues with her sight? She simply couldn't see TTY and thus "returned" the shuttle like that. It's only natural that you can't play well when your eye sight is impaired. Everybody should be able to understand that.

In the second game, she started also started to suffer from digestive problems. TTY's dominant play was so hard to stomach, Marin simply got sick.
    So half-blind, and dangerously close to a gargantuan gastrointestinal gaffe, she decided to call it a day. Well done to her! "Safety first", as the old folks used to say.

And let's not kid ourselves, what would we have done in that situation? Soldier on for 5 more minutes of half a game? Won't somebody please think of the Olympics?
    To be honest, I'm still slightly outraged by that umpire, who apperently couldn't see the danger she was in and wouldn't let her leave court immediately. Who does he think he is? A doctor?

No, it's good she ended the match before it was too late.
    Let's all wish her a speedy recovery.

It'sMeMeMe, nilesh123, Giga01 and 8 others like this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

o_O Ok... but what makes you so sure she wasn't actually sick? It can't happen? Is it just impossible? No one ever ended a match because of X or Y reason? Including just showing up to get some points? You have some inside information we do not have access to?

I get it CM screams and it disturbs your norms (not only attacking you personally @Cunning Linguist but all CM haters) of what you consider an acceptable behaviour on court but to go as far as saying she lied because she was butt hurt without knowing for sure... without any proofs? Just because of your own judgement and appreciation about one person. Sorry but it's pretty low.

It's ok to dislike her, I'm not a big fan either, but not to give her the benefit of the doubt for personal reasons is the reason why this society is so judgemental and biased. May be she lied I consider that. But I think it's fair to consider she might have also been sick. We don't know so it's 50/50. Let's leave it at that. Besides, sick or not she lost the match so it's her problem anyway. No excuses will be remembered in sports just the winner.

Justin L likes this.
  18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

According to the BWF instagram account she had fever and throat infection. I have no idea if it's real but I don't see how is that totally mpossible to consider just because it's CM...

20191105_204254.jpg

Justin L likes this.
  19. vozer here

in your sarcasm, you already claim that you have doctor eyes. And doctor refer to me who saying she's not faking sickness. While your sarcasm only show that its not seriously enough for her to retire, not showing its faking sickness [​IMG]

20. mohans

mohans Regular Member

What everyone questioning here is the timing she chose to retire from the match. Why retire at 1-13? Did something physically happen to her at that point that prevented her playing? Or just that she couldn’t simply take any more of embarrassment being on the court? Or just didn’t like to let the opponent be happy about the win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk