Korea Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by blabl, Jan 30, 2016.

1. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Agus now is coaching in Thailand working for Rexy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I know. This post was from last year....

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The Kop industry is in big issues because of the prostitutions & sex trafficking scandal that does not include only the idols, but also big executives & high up police as the suspect

4. B-J-R

B-J-R Regular Member

What happened to Jeon Hyeok Jin? He hasn't played an International tournament since 2018 All England.

5. event

event Regular Member

Jeon Hyeok Jin didn't play even inside Korea after the spring team championships last March. He was struggling with a knee problem all year. In December, he didn't try out for the 2019 national team. Interestingly, he is still on the roster for the Yonex pro team in Korea for this year but he isn't playing in the first team tournament. Instead, Choi Sol Gyu is playing both singles and doubles.

6. khoai

khoai Regular Member

nizze and stanleyfm like this.
  7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

A wild Kang Kyung Jin appears :p

nizze likes this.
  8. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Wow he is in Vietnam. It is a long stint bringing up Vietnam Badminton. He can relax and enjoy food and nature in Vietnam at least.

nizze and stanleyfm like this.
  9. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

I found it extraordinary that Korea didnt have any players progressing to the round of 16 in the world juniors...then i realised most their squad consists of very young players (most born 2004 - 3 years below the oldest permitted competitors). I guess the A-team was busy with the national sports festival back home?

10. event

event Regular Member

Yes. Correct. The NSF involves only high school and older so middle school players are still available for WJC. Something similar happened in 2017, when An Se Young and the other middle school kids held down the fort in the team event and then Baek Ha Na, Lee Yu Rim, Kim Won Ho, and the gang flew down for the individual event. This year, the scheduling conflict was more complete, not to mention the WJC venue much farther away). When the BWF started fining for missing SSP and later Super 750, the BKA made sure to schedule the NSF to miss the Denmark Open but the same thing doesn't happen for the WJC.

If you notice 6 of the 13 players are high school players, 5 of those are in 1st year, so they might not have been needed at the NSF. The one who is in her 2nd year of high school is from Gyeonggi Province, where they selected the best players from 3 elite high school teams - from Suwon, Shiheung, and Pocheon - and she would not have made the cut for her province to play in the NSF.

Cheung and Dangho like this.
  11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Imo JKE is very under appreciated. Isn't she 29 now? Not only performing at that pace but guiding her younger partners for years now. ESP when only WD is Keeping Korean flag in contention.

samkool likes this.
  12. event

event Regular Member

She is 29. She and Chang, Kim Hye Rin, and Baek Ha Na will all have to participate in the national team tryouts again, it was announced today. The 4 in the top 10, plus Chae, all get a pass. It was similar last year, when Choi/Seo and Chang/Jung were all talking about having to go right away to the tryouts after winning their titles in Gwangju.

nilesh123 likes this.
  13. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

If I may ask, do you know what happened to Lee Yu Rim? I haven't seen her for a long time (just checked, her last match was that heroic Uber Cup performance vs Takamatsu). She and Baek were clearly the most promising young WD in the world and it's now too long for an injury break. Did she quit?

14. event

event Regular Member

A knee injury - ACL, I believe - sustained while playing for her high school team in the Summer Championships barely a week after the Uber Cup. She was still hired by Samsung for 2019 and has been playing with them right from the first nationwide tournament, back in March. She and Kim Ha Na finished second at the summer championships in the pro division this year, losing to Baek Ha Na and Kim Hye Jeong in the final. She will be playing in the national team tryouts in December. She still wears a hefty knee brace, which you can see here.

#234 event, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  15. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

Who’s better, Baek ha ha or lee yu rim? I know they paired together and ones more front and ones more back but wondering who has more potential? Does lee yu rim have potential to be better than Jung?

16. event

event Regular Member

Very hard to say. Lee looked to have a lot of potential before her injury. At this point, we have to see how she adapts to national team training, if she makes it. I remember a painful-looking tape job on another former World Junior Champion, Kim Ji Won, at the Australian Open back in 2016. She played one more match a few weeks later and then her career was over.

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Ah Kim Ji Won. Fondly remember her. She was Chae Yoo Jung's partner back then wasn't she?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

18. event

event Regular Member

Correct. She is now coaching at KNUPE, Korea's stongest university women's team.

Ch1k0 likes this.
  19. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Is selections for the national team solely based on tryouts except for those who get a pass anyway? If, lets say, Ki Dong Ju and Shin Tae Yang would do better than Wang Chan and Na Seung Sung at the tryouts, would they overtake their spots despite Wang/Na doing pretty well this year?

20. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Are selections for the national team solely based on tryouts except for those who get a pass anyway? If, lets say, Ki Dong Ju and Shin Tae Yang would do better than Wang Chan and Na Seung Sung at the tryouts, would they overtake their spots despite Wang/Na doing pretty well this year?