Competitive Badminton Clubs HK Island

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by Lewizio, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Lewizio

Lewizio New Member

Hi all I have been in Hong Kong for about a month now just arrived from the UK and I played a lot at University at a decent level (High Intermediate/County).

I have been playing in some badminton clubs that my relatives play in but the standard is not very consistent and it is quite hard to find clubs that offer frequent training.

Whilst I very much enjoy the social aspect of badminton my main priority is improvement through games and individual coaching is a bit pricey at the moment.

I am mainly a doubles player and I am looking for a club that offer regular training sessions and competitive matches.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and let me know if there are any ideas!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are some groups that have adult training. Due to the irregularity of booking courts, whether they have a regular session is a bit hit and miss. Therefore, most people in HK will organise their own private sessions with a coach, sometimes by themselves or in a small group.

The coach will book the courts.

How is your Cantonese?

3. Lewizio

Lewizio New Member

Thanks for getting back to me - that's annoying that there aren't any major clubs out there that can supply court time like there are in the UK, do you have any ideas as how to get in touch with a coach that can book courts? I was actually looking at the Hong Kong Football Badminton Club but the website is unclear as to how to join. Whether one needs to actually be a member of HKFC first as a prerequisite of joining the Badminton Club. And it is confusing whether I just turn up to one of their sessions if I am interested in joining.

My Cantonese is decent, I am able to hold my own in a conversation and can communicate pretty easily - my only issue is that my reading and writing is pretty limited.

4. shawarma27

shawarma27 Regular Member

Designer
    Hi, I wanted to promote a new club here in Hong Kong called Club Smash HK. The club level mostly comprises intermediate plus to advance level players, games are usually held in the Quarry Bay sports center and other locations throughout the Hong Kong side. The club manages players and organizes games for the local ex-pat community, providing high-level competition and promoting the sport of badminton in Hong Kong. Before covid, the club usually organizes games around 3-4 sessions a week, all evening games starting from 8 pm onwards and uses RSL Supreme for their shuttles.

Here's more information about the club:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/clubsmashhk
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn4nbQvbBZ8E1sMOLqYfWSg
    Email: clubsmashhk@gmail.com

Hope this helps the community and please spread the word to your friends. Cheers!