Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

They have all said that I have improved the most out of anyone at the club. I’ll keep working on my footwork.

I worry a lot that I won’t be able to record my games and that I’ll be going back to my bad habits

Cheung likes this.
  2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Ask the club owner, if it would be possible to record a single court after asking the people you want to play with for permission.

Do more training, more shadow runs, try to reinforce it. I had training in my youth, after a 30 year break I started to play again and after I record some games I was really suprised, that I do stuff unconsciously which I had learned 30 years ago ! It is just a matter of reinforcing the good habits, you will automatically overwrite bad ones.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Footwork is starting to look really good, it's a huge cumulative improvement. You look like a much more dynamic player. :)

I would like to see you use the left side of your body more. At the moment, everything is "driven" from your racket. All of your focus seems to be on the racket, and your body movement follows it (especially your trunk). Sometimes it's like the racket is dragging the rest of your body behind it -- that's an exaggeration, but hopefully it gives you a useful image.

At a more advanced level, we need movement and even hitting to be initiated from the feet and the core. You already have many of the footwork skills to make this possible.

Try to use your left arm more actively. Use it to start the shoulder turn in your overheads (your shoulders will be more involved in the smash then). At the net, use it to reach out behind you for balance -- this will let you bring your racket shoulder forwards more.

visor and Mason like this.
  4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Your suggestion is very practical and also is very clear thank you. My main question would be, because I can only work on one thing at a time , is there one “cue” that I can think about when trying to use my left arm more actively on my overhead strokes ?

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You could start by building it into your (admirable!) footwork practices. Pull / throw the left arm just slightly earlier than the right arm. It's only a small difference.

Try thinking "left -- right".

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok will do, thank you

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Is this video correct as far as the left right motion ?

Gollum likes this.
  8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, and that's also a good demonstration of how power generation starts from the floor. See how he loads his back leg before the hit.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I’ll give it a whirl
    On a side note there are so many these tutorial type videos that are in korean. There are pretty much no English videos out there that are as comprehensive as the korean videos are..... what a shame

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Maybe I can fix that... ;)

Some of those Korean videos are great, but they do tend to ramble. Quite a lot of them end up reflecting videos I already planned but didn't film yet (so I guess that's reassuring).

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

That would be awesome if you made these. I really think a video having a coach show a student how to do certain things and then watching the coach teach these movements to a student is very helpful. Because you can hear and see a coach correcting things that is beginners tend to do wrong

Gollum likes this.
  12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yeah, that can be helpful. Downside is that it can also be rather long-winded and sometimes a bit player-specific. Also as a content creator, it's more coordination/moving parts when you have to get other players involved, maybe compensate them, get their permission to be filmed...

...although I recognise that's something I'll need to get better at, especially for certain topics (like doubles positioning).

Usually I just do the "getting it wrong" demo myself, although there have been a few times when that's turned out surprisingly difficult!

Mason likes this.
  13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My first attempt here at the Peter Rasmussen drill

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I then did some footwork and garage swings

15. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

(I will not mention the neutral split step ;))

Looks good, take your time and start with slow movement.

If you want to include racket movement try to hold the racket up when doing the front court lunges, at least at high of the virutal top of the net. You train to take the shuttle low, but you should train to take it early and high.

Due to limited space, I only practise one corner movement at home at a time. It might be better and more reinforcing to do a single corner movement for X minutes, take a break, then go on with the next corner (focus on learning motion). Then do 6-corner movement when on court (focus on more realistic situation and endurance).

By the way, consider to include the side-steps in your movement pattern to cover all 6 corners.

One last word, you should although include a recovery routine to the base position. You end your motion often after doing the stroke, but the recovery to the base position is critical to avoid opening up your court.

When I watched a video of a game of Peter Gate and I had stopped by chance at the time when he do the recovery movement from a over-the-head backhand corner stroke and he was actually sprinting like a real sprinter at the start of the sprint !
    From what I observed, the pace of the footwork, or better said the basic rhythm is:
    to shuttle: split -> fast -> slow down -> stroke
    to base: recover step -> fast -> slow down -> (split of next round)

#715 Ballschubser, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well my footwork was better tonight but my stroke was off. I was not utilizing pronation properly ( at Least that what it looks like to me ) the good news is I’m allowed to record my games again at the club. I played a game of singles against the club owners son who normally beats me pretty good in singles and the game was 18-21 so I’m getting a little better
    I’ll post that game tomorrow

#716 Mason, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

my singles game. My footwork is getting little but better.

Ballschubser likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did little bit of the drop lift drill yesterday

19. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

You are missing the split step. When you drop, you don't rotate your body towards, you just stay lateral. Try to jump so you get a high contact point. Also, your contact point is too close to you. It should be directly in front of you, so that when you swing you don't swing to the side, and you can hit it downwards. Also, the drop is not a slow shot. You need to use power to slice the shuttle or else the speed of the shuttle will be very slow. Right now you are kind of just swinging in slow motion.
    For lifts, don't let the shuttle drop and always hit it as high as possible. Try to work on using your fingers to lift, and when your contact point is low, lunge down and your entire body is low. Right now you are standing upright and bending over to lift when you get to the shuttle late.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  20. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

The same thing I see in your singles game too. Also, you slice the shuttle when you smash and clear. Make sure you hit with a flat racket face.

Mason likes this.