Discussion on GOAT, comparison between different eras and players, etc.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Baddie lover, Aug 24, 2019.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

with gold comes $, but $ cannot buy you a gold. see how much PV earn now after getting her gold in WC. plus when you retire, the gold you earned before will still generate into $ in terms of exhibition matches, interviews, or opening a badminton school.

as for who is the GOAT, each has his own view. but i think the views of the professional players will be true and fair. so maybe one day if you happen to come across one, ask him for his opinion.

#21 lodoss, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Anks likes this.
  2. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    PVS without winninga Gold was the 7th richest female athlete in the world and obviously richest in Badminton category and this year she is at 13th in World and Im sure next year she will be back in Top 10...she is getting millions of dollars from the Indian government,State governments and Huge amount of Land and property and even her friend CM confessed that Sindhu got way much more than her by winning silvers than what she got by winning gold :D

However this World Champion tittle is so huge that she is being showered with money and its set to grow further.

So I guess at the end of the day it is indeed money that matters :cool: and it gets more amazing when that money helps you promote your sport..I love the fact that she is promoting badminton in the media and is truly becoming the face of badminton with her excellent english skills and she is exactly the kind of Brand ambassdor we need for badminton.

3. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

people said nobody remember the 2nd..

but nobody can talk about LD without mentioning LCW name..

If he's not Goat, he's probably 99% Goat.. :)

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

But is he the 2nd?

5. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Actually its not people but the few Malaysians themselves feel it that no one remembers the second and its true..thats how cruel sport is my friend.Here is a post by The New Strait Times a Malaysian News agency and you see how they describe the situation of Malaysia Badminton a Must read for all Badminton Fans

https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badmi...n-badminton-countries-are-outshining-malaysia

LCW's career is remarkable no doubt about that he has been no.1 and won many tittles but actually its those MAJOR TOURNAMENTS that really matter where GLOBAL population is watching your game and even those who dont know Badminton watch it when its the Olympics and World Championships.I myself watch when its WC or OG of Athletics,Boxing and stuff even though I dont know much about it but in those tournament people only look up at the winner.

So for us the badminton fans LCW is a great player...but to commentators and Global world he is only a Former World No.1 and thats it...And He himself knew the importance of that major Gold thats why he was so upset to have never won that elusive Major tittle and put the Malaysian Flag highest.

LD on the other hand may not have won as many minor tournaments and longest no.1 ranking but LD's 1 WC or OG Gold equals LCWs entire career and thats the power of being honoured to be a MAJOR CHAMPION..So had it not been LCW on the other side of thr court LD would still have won all WC and OG golds he has because He was and Is and will be THE BEST.

LD GOAT ( Greatest Of All Time )
    LCW GROAT ( Greatest RunnerUp of All Time )

#25 Anks, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Suilven likes this.
  6. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Anks likes this.
  7. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Aww....it is sad and also a reminder to players that how important MAJOR Golds are ...see how the whole emphsis of the interview is on Olympic Gold and World Tittle..Because In reality and actuality These two tittles really matter.

I feel if LCW had even gottn evn single world championship Gold it should have been sufficent to compensate for his OG Silvers ..but the reason why its so tragic is that he never got either of the two biggest tittles.

One of my all time favs Wang Yihan I dunno how many here know her but She was and is one of my favourites though she doesnt play anymore but I loved WY over LXR ( like LXR too but not more than WY )..and even though she won Silver at OG and LXR Gold her WC Gold is what always sort of kept LXR's mouth zipped because LXR has habbit of too much talking...So in a way its important to shut the critics by winnin the elusive MAJOR gold because it is important wether we like it or not.

Sad and bitter reality but thats how sports is.

The Winner Takes it All
    The Looser Stands Small ....Its heartbreaking but True

8. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

David Freeman, undefeated MS in entire life. How do you guys rate him?

rhoder likes this.
  9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

he's an icon, as stated in wiki. it is difficult to rate him given the period he was playing in.
    as some have said before, badminton was different in the past, with the different scoring system, WC, etc.
    now players have more chances to be WC, so they should grab their chances when they have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BWF_World_Championships

The BWF World Championships (formerly known as IBF World Championships, also known as the World Badminton Championships) is a badminton tournament sanctioned by Badminton World Federation (BWF). The tournament offers the most ranking points, together with Summer Olympic Games.[1] The winners will be crowned as the "World Champions" and awarded gold medals.[2] However, it does not offer any prize money.[3]

The tournament started in 1977 and was held once every three years until 1983. However, the IBF (International Badminton Federation) faced difficulty in hosting the first two events as the World Badminton Federation (which later merged with the IBF to form one badminton federation) hosted the same tournament a year after the IBF World Championships with the same goals. Started 1985, the tournament became biennial and played once every two years until 2005. Starting 2006, the tournament was changed to an annual event on the BWF calendar with the goal to give more chances for the players to be crowned as official "World Champions". However, the tournament will not be held once every four years to give way to the Summer Olympic Games.

10. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Well during his tenure Badminton wasnt in OG and Also the whole format of the game wa different and not to forget Badminton wasnt as active in Asia nd other parts of the world where Mr.Freemen could have faced much competition from so regardless of all these factors I still admire him and his laurels no one can take his achievements away from him.

Given now Badminton is a Global sport has different score system also very competitive it makes very hard for players to even get a single Minor tittle let alone a Major tittle like OG and WC...So All the eras are different but a Sport is only global when you have global participation and Badminton is rising towards positive direction with American,African,Asian,Asutralasian and European countries are working hard towards achieving good goals in Badminton...Ultimately everyone wants the OG and WC gold thats the dream of all palyers and its more intrsting when we have a versatile participation throughout the world for the betterment of our beloved Badminton Cause thats what matters at the end of the day.

11. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Basically, i cited one player, and sums up everything about this stupid thread.

There is no comparison between different eras.

12. Anks

Anks Regular Member

WINNER TAKES IT ALL,
    LOOSERS STANDING SMALL.

Who Doesnt Get it right
    Let Their GOLDEN CHANCES Fly,

The Winner Takes the Gold,
    The Looser Lies on Floor

Thats the Truth of Life,
    Simply No One Can Deny.

The Winner Takes it All
    The Loosers standing small !

Composed By - Anks

Notice -: All rights of the above lyrics are owned by me.Any Further use without my permission will be considered unlawful and would result in lawful actions.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The gold winners stand the highest, silver the second highest, bronze the third
    and then the rest of the world are all losers.

The biggest losers are the ones crying how uncool being second in the world. :rolleyes:

nilesh123 and Martynas like this.
  14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

haha, thats why u often find the bronze medalist the second happiest on the podium beside the gold medalist.

Anks likes this.
  15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You have to put into consideration that the podium always happens just moments after the final match is over. Of course the disappointment, frustration etc will show in the silver medalists faces. Given some hours or time, I doubt think they will look that "sad" having won the silver. :)

16. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Yes bro cause you see for Bronze there is a fight and whoever wins its pretty much happy with it..but for silver the world and media tags it as settled for silver but for Bronze its won the bronze medal and obviously for the Champion its won the Championship So thats how the world works hahaah.

GOLD won
    Bronze won
    Silver SETTLED

So Cruel yet true...but that definitely cant take away the fact these athletes were the best because to be the best their opponents had to beat the best.

17. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

Lin Dan is the GOAT, easily. LCW is a distant second. Then there is a huge gap and number 3, Chen Long.

1. Lin Dan

2. Lee Chong Wei

3. Chen Long
    4. Taufik Hidayat
    5. Peter Gade

Kento Momota has a chance to overtake both LCW and LD if he stays healthy.

18. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

Its natural, the second is always cry loudest. It is and they should be hard on themself like that

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    right now i would say he is tied w/ chen long: 3 more titles than chen long, but 1 less wc/og title... all accomplished in a shorter span of time.

20. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Here is how I put the players into different Categories of three Important Clubs..No Harsh feelings for anyone just my personal Criterion !

1.GOAT CLUB

ALL GOATS are LEGENDS but not all LEGENDS ARE GOATS
    Entry into the GOAT Club is when Legends have won MULTIPLE Olympic Tittles on top of their World Championships Tittles

Eg-: Lin Dan,Zhang Ning,Gao Ling and Zhang Jun

2. LEGEND CLUB

Entry into the Legends Club is for players who have won at least One Biggest tittle of the year and Those are Either WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS or OLYMPICS If not the Olympics Tittle then At Least an Olympic Medal in Caibnet is important to enter this Club along with WC Tittle for OG is a Special rournament comes every 4 Years and is every players' dream to get a Medal there.

Eg -: Xie Xingfang,Wang Yihan,Chen Jin,Li Xuerui,Lee Yong Dae,Susi Susanti,Bang Soo Hyun,Taufik Hidayat,Paul Erik,Ye Zhaoying,Hendrawan,Xia Xuanze,Camilla Martin,Gong Zichao,Chen Long,Lilliyana Natsir,Park Joo Bong etc

3.ALC CLUB or GROAT CLUB

Then Comes ALC Club aka Almost Legend Club or GROAT Club ( Greatest Runner Up Of All Time )
    This Club is for those group of Players who were undoubtedly one of the best during their years and their Ranking as No.1 happens to be their Biggest Achievement but sadly they couldnt achieve the WORLD NO.1 Tittle of the Year aka WC or OG.

Eg -: Lee Chong Wei,Peter Gade,Wang Shixian,Wang Xin,Mia Audina,Zhou Mi,Morten Frost,Prakash Padukone,Liem Swei King,Son Wan Ho,Srikant Kidambi,Saina Nehwal

#40 Anks, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020