TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (24-25 August)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 23, 2019.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So to make it short, you have a persecution complex and are mad at Steen for not praising your favorite player.
    Just be happy Morten provided some insight to you that you were previously missing, and stop crying over one of the best commentators we've had, who is shouldering a sizeable work load, traveling to many tournaments. Just imagine that instead you could have that Canadian airhead doing all his gigs instead - would that be better? Or are you so insecure that you'd prefer a shitty commentator that you don't perceive as biased? I see no issue with the example you provided, by the way. None at all.

Seriously, get the hell off your high horse. So he didn't blow smoke up your butt about Sindhu, big deal. If he starts saying she only won her title through luck, then you can get upset, until then you're just throwing a fit because he doesn't constantly praise the player you happen to share a nationality with.

And just a PS, Sindhu can NOT do anything the other top players can do. TTY has about 10 shots Sindhu has no chance of replicating. At the same time, Sindhu has things that TTY can't do. She doesn't have the same touch that some of the others do (including AY, for example), but that's okay - players have different strengths and weaknesses. Pointing out that player B is comparatively stronger at something than player A isn't bias.

#1181 j4ckie, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    rhoder, s_mair, visor and 1 other person like this.
  2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

If you feel so happy about his biased comments, good for you. I don't even care a bit of whatever you think. Knowing about you, it is nothing new .

Anks likes this.
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    Also, thanks for confirming everything I said. People like you are the reason many public figures either hate social media or ignore them outright, the amount of utterly baseless criticism and personal attacks is astonishing. And all for the big offence of not praising a player enough.

rhoder likes this.
  4. Baddyforall

Lol. As if you are saint. And I can even say the same , ' it is people like you many public figures get away with whatever they talk. ' . It should be insightful ,meaningful and without bias. Hope you understand in the future. Cheers.

Note: I still remember myself saying to you few months back that Sindhu will reach final of big event when you were opposing it.
    Just to inform you. Cheers. Take care.

Anks likes this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Never said I'm flawless, never thought so. Nice try.
    Im not saying anyone should be above criticism - I'm saying you're blowing this way out of proportion, you've made multiple posts perpetrating your paranoid idea that Steen is biased against PVS and isnt good at his job. You've failed to provide any specific example of any such bias - the examples you provided show nothing that an objective person would even perceive as debatable, let alone biased.
    My point is that your comments make you seem like a nationalistic fan that cannot bear a commentator simply not praising their favorite player as much as they'd like, and that is the sort of people who hound public figures with their unreasonable comments on social media. Mind you, I'm not saying you are one or are doing any of that. It's just the impression your comments leave.

The reason why this is annoying to me is that we have a real shortage of quality commentators in badminton. Gill hasn't been doing all the events like she used to, and it's unreasonable to expect her to carry on like that (even then she should have a partner on the vast majority of events). Morten doesn't seem interested in doing it full-time. That new woman is abominable and almost universally disliked, haven't seen a single positive comment on her in this forum. Additionally, Steen is one of the very few who have a deeper insight into the game - Gill has an amazing historical knowledge and does very well at putting the matches and performances into context, but she isn't the best at the more tactical and technical part (and she doesn't have to be, that's where the 2nd person comes in). Morten and Steen are the only ones we currently have, afaik.
    Unreasonable and baseless criticism like this may eventually be the factor that makes him (or others) decide to drop it at one point, and I'd hate to see what we'd be left with then.

BTW, if Sindhu and her team have any sense whatsoever, they won't throw out the commentators' analysis as 'biased'. They'll take it as honest criticism, and see if there's anything in there that they missed, and if so, address it. That's what any professional would do - and I have no reason to think they wouldn't.

PoLLuX, rhoder, skhai91 and 5 others like this.
  6. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    World Champion PVSindhu The consecutive reigning FORBES RICHEST BADMINTON WOMAN ON PLANET last year was at spot no.7 Beating F.World no.1 Tennis player SIMONA HALEP last year and this year being at no.13 is set to make a smashing come back in top 10 yet again next year...Having already made headlines in global community The World Champion is set to begin the new era of promoting Badminton around the globe like no other WOMAN BADMINTON player has ever done before.

Its a geat victory for Badminton a a sport and I hope with this we get more players from other Non Asian countries too like Brazil,USA,Canada,African countries etc.

7. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

That it is within BWF regulations indeed makes it 'not a problem'.. but it does not make it negligible.
    The drift affects the shuttle. The players must learn to control that. The players that are best at this will benefit from having the AC turned on.

Anks likes this.
  8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  9. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

That is the effect of India :p
    India is pouring a lot of money into badminton and trying to innovate on things such as league formats to make the sport more viewer and fan friendly. Having an Indian icon WC can really benefit the sport, not just in India. As opposed to many of the biggest East Asian stars, Sindhu speaks English. That is a huge deal when it comes to promoting the sport in the West. Therefore, I salute any Asian players who learn English and actually give interviews in English, including LCW, Kevin, Okuhara, Tang Yuanting (where is she anyway?).

Badminton needs international icons, English speaking characters (such as PVS) to grow in the West. Otherwise, I fear it will never properly enter the NA market, and Americans will continue to think of badminton as it is presented on LiveStrong's YouTube channel (I expect everyone here to have seen it but if not, go to YouTube and search for LiveStrong badminton.. hilarious yet so tragic).

10. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Yes I agree with you 5000% and PVS speaks the best english currently in the badminton world and thats what WORLD needs to see...I also saw reports last year in Australian and New Zealand news sites talking about her and here are the links

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12112741

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ne...e/news-story/9d0288311e6201831db79bf986a92e95

These news are from last year and Now with her becoming world champion 2019 and the face of World Badminton giving interviews in Fluent English and Indian PM who happens to have the Huge millions of followers and also Bollywood celebs including those who are now working in Hollywood and all of them tweeting about her and have her pictures all over the social media the world is noticing it.

Also The day she won #PVSindhu was No.1 trending in India till the next day.

A Movie is coming out for sure in but will take time and PVS' wish is to see former World No.1 Prakash Padukone's Danish daughter ( Danish cause she was born in Denmark :D) play her role because she s tall and physically like PVS.

So Yeps..one thing I can assure you Mr.Hassafer that Badminton is just gonna grow from here....BADMINTON's DOMINATION has begun with World Champ PVS being the International Brand Ambassdor of it.

HAIL BADMINTON !!

#1190 Anks, Aug 28, 2019
  11. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Dear Mr.Hassefar you know very well Im the learner,Researcher,follower,Superfan and lover of only ( WC and OG ) Medalists :p

PS...Im not throwing shade ..but just being me and being my Guru you know me very well :D

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Would it be a good idea to have Saina as a commentator? :)

But yeah. If you have seen as many matches as I have going back to the early 80’s , we really do have it good having Morten and Steen commentating regularly giving us fascinating and educational insights. Gill held the banner for many years as a lone commentator and that’s really hard for her to keep up a variety of dialogues.

#1192 Cheung, Aug 28, 2019
    PoLLuX and Anks like this.
  13. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Yes I do think she should retire because she already has a LUCKY Olympic bronze and WC Bronze and silver and she speaks really good english so she might as well use it....Im all for that offer to any player who has been great with both career record and enlgish fluency..and I believe Indians and Danish players speak the most fluent english in badminton world.

P.S ( I knw brits must be thinking "Hey we invented english" then my answer is "Sorry Im talking about GREAT players ):D

As much as I love and respect you and Lance and my Guru Mr.Hassefar as my elite favs friends...If inadvertently sounded offensive then I beg your pardon.

14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Here The World Champion PVS in one of the many hundreds of interviews speaking for badminton and listen how she emphasizes that Badminton as a sport should grow and will grow...Now Thats the kind of World Champ we need who promotes her sport her love her BADMINTON...Love you PVS !

I hope other players will learn to speak as fluent English as PVS does and do their best in promoting our love our BADMINTON

#1194 Anks, Aug 28, 2019
  15. Baddyforall

Lol. Another long post of nothing other than calling names. What else can i expect from you? :D .

Let us be strait. I think Steen might be reading this forum. I am asking him to show and prove his words which he usually do in the tournaments where Sindhu reaches finals. He usually call hall conditions which favour Sindhu . No way he could prove that. Because he himself knew that Sindhu don't come believing in 'halls' , she comes to court believing in her talent. I bet she does not even care what Steen says. She has her team and they will work on it. My goodness, Morten and Gill are still in the fray.

Let us give him some space. Let him think of Tokyo and Sindhu's chances over there. Because he is so good at giving arena conditions as the reason for one's success and failure, right ;). Since he has been to Tokyo for commentaries and all, so , he could tell the conditions of the court now. Because according to him court conditions is enough for Sindhu to win titles. What a joker? ! Lol

Anks likes this.
  16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Why do you think the statement "conditions favor her" means "only because of these conditions is she able to win"...? Its literally just the truth. If you think about it rationally for about half a second, you'll realize that a drifty hall favors attacking players. Why? Because a lift or clear stays in the air longer, thus being affected more strongly by the drift. A more attacking player will play faster shots and lift less, thus having to correct less for that drift. A defensive player will be most affected.

There is a pattern of interpretation being stated as facts in your post. The most recent example - you stating my post is 'name calling'. Show me a single instance in that comment where I say anything about you. All I'm referring to is your comment, and explaining what impression they give off. I even clarified that distinction in the comment itself.
    Ironically, you call Steen a joker just a few sentences later. Seems hypocritical to me.
    The same is true for your statements about Steen, where you interpret meaning into his words that you can't possibly get from his statement alone and then attack him based on that interpretation, not his actual words.
    I would advise you to try and get rid of that habit. There's enough stuff to get mad at without adding unnecessary instances like this one based on pure speculation.

17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Unfortunately, she quits competitive badminton completely.
    Now she continues her undergraduate study in AUS,
    while becomes a badminton coach in one of the biggest club there where Gronya either trains or also coaches in the club

PoLLuX, Hassefar60 and Anks like this.
  18. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Though Im a lover of MAJOR medalists but I think tang was a doubles player right ?

Im so glad to know she is planing to become a badminton coach..China should be proud that now their players will be teaching others.

I think all chinese players should learn at least a little bit of english and take uo coaching jobs because it will help china build soft power in other countries.

Thanks for your valuable info !

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, WC is over. ChinaOpen next.

Cant wait for AllEngland.

Anks likes this.
  20. Baddyforall

Let's move forward. World Championships are over. Now, time for some regular tournaments.
    Congratulations once again for all the medallists and wishes to all the future medallists.
    In the process of praising our medallists, we have to remember the behind the scene workers. All the members of the Swiss Badminton association, Camera crew and court officials, Referrees ,all of them deserve a very big applause.

And for me, the players stood out in the competition were Sai Praneeth, Kantaphon, Hoki/Kobay ( Sorry if I misspelled it). All others were normal faces we used to see more often in bigger events.

Congratulations to all the coaches behind them , without them there would not be such talents .
    Once again I would like to thank Commentators such as Gill Clarke, Morten Frost and sorry if I forgot any names for their valuable commentaries.

minions, CLELY and Cheung like this.