Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't think LD's career will be over just because he can't win any medals in WC or whatever title. Just leave LD be. It's over when LD thinks it's over. He is fighting with all his effort for his goal, who are we to judge his chance, career or even legacy. Appreciate and respect the man himself.

buibui2, Tec07, LenaicM and 2 others like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I supposed so, Lin Dan jut wants to make his 5th appearance at the Olympics (one for the record to add to his many firsts).

Sadly indeed, CHN MS is in a crisis by CHN's standard, and Shu Yuqi's injury layoff at this time only exacerbates the problem. Even for WS, only Chen Yufei is dependable to deliver the goods. Whatever happens to China's depth of talents - too many world class sports vying for the same pool of talented athletes and rising affluence with many attractive career and business opportunities compared with professional sports ?

#11982 Justin L, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    kaffars likes this.
  3. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    I have had this discussion with some family from China, they have said back then there were only a few ways to get rich that was open to people one being an athlete and bringing success for the country, but as more opportunities wide and spread for people to earn wealth less people choose sports as a career.

Saru, CLELY, samkool and 1 other person like this.
  4. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    I have had this discussion with some family from China, they have said back then there were only a few ways to get rich that was open to people one being an athlete and bringing success for the country, but as more opportunities wide and spread for people to earn wealth less people choose sports as a career.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

They have smooth regeneration in Diving, none can stop their domination so far.
    China still has many young badminton players (in quantity) who choose career as professional athlete but shortages of quality talent, that's the problem. In wider perspective, it's true that the soaring economy which have transformed China from 1980's developing country to present era advanced nation contributes one of important factors that giving lots of alternatives in other fields.

6. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Justin L, Super85, llrr and 2 others like this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

God told GOAT to go on playing. Jia you LD. :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maybe Lindan just wants to take his kid to the Olympics to see the dad play. Once in a lifetime experience.

buibui2, yuquall and Tec07 like this.
  9. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Can prime lin dan handle this prime momota that just won the world championship ? would be an interesting battle!

samkool likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Prime LD in major tournaments? He can handle everyone:D

buibui2, LenaicM, Saru and 2 others like this.
  11. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Many people think Lin Dan played his best badminton in 2008 Olympics final against Lee Chong Wei. Just watched the first game of that match and Lin Dan won 21-13. 13 of those points were unforced errors by opponent. I don't think prime Momota would give opponent 13 free points in a game.

Also game has evolved a lot from those days, defence is much better and also attacking thanks to better rackets.

Not saying who would win but in general level of badminton players is better than 11 years ago.

fnd80, samkool and MezzL like this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Lin Dan simply outclassed everyone. LCW at that time wasn't at his best or in his prime, he became better after that humiliating defeat from which he learnt to transform his game to a more offensive one with increased speed and accuracy. That's why their next OG encounter at LOG'12 was a closer affair.

I'd say, those 13 points in G1 , they are a mixed of forced and unforced errors. Lin Dan was too quick and powerful to give LCW any chance in attack or defence. LCW himself admitted he was stunned by Lin Dan's command and control, explosiveness, a totally different player from what he expected, so much so he was at a loss what to do.

Did you read the KOR coach for Sindhu, Kim Ji Hyun's interview where she talked about how the game has evolved but it was physically more demanding during her time more than a decade ago? Actually, her remark somewhat surprised me but that's for another topic.

Shall we consider the Momota vs Antonsen final yesterday at the Basel WC, didn't AA give away many easy points, committing a lot of unforced errors, almost a meltdown for AA? How much do you want to take away from Momota's victory, 21-9, 21-3 ? Neither AA's attack nor defence was anywhere comparable to what it was the previous rounds and, let's not forget AA last beat Momota at the INA Masters early this year.

And I'm reluctant to remind you how Shi Yuqi blew Momota away at the Sudirman Cup in May, the score for one of the sets (21-5 in G2 ) was even more embarrassing than what LCW suffered at Lin Dan's hands at Beijing '08.

16 free points in a game given by Momota ?

#11992 Justin L, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    skhai91 likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

My thoughts regarding Prime Lin Dan vs Present Kento Momota :

First of all, it's all hypothetical scenarios. Even after countless debates, we can't come to a conclusion about who'll win between the two? I'll give prime LD the edge against present Kento Momota. Firstly we have seen what prime Lin Dan has achieved and is capable of. His numerous titles and career win loss record plus H2H against his nearest rival is the testament to it.

Regarding Momota, I guess he's adopted post 2012 OG Lin Dan playing style which seems to be working well against his present opponents. And if the present playing style of Momota is suiting him and bringing results, I don't see why he has to change a new style so as to please viewers. He's winning championships and other titles which is the most important thing .I personally prefer LD attacking style .We still haven't seen prime Momota yet imo or what he's capable of in the future. He's won 2 world championships at this age and has lost I think 2-2.5 years due to infamous gambling scandal.

Beating Lin Dan's record or coming close to it itself is a huge achievement. Winning next year OG 2020 at his home, 2021 WC, 2022 AG will fuel the expectation that KM has come closest than anyone to Lin Dan's record. And then he's to win 2 WC more , 1 AG more and 1 OG gold more to equal LD's major titles (excluding team championship events).

Then also people will ask questions regarding opponents in both the eras. You beat only those who are in front of you. Titles indicate the achievements of players. Let's not move ahead of ourselves. The debate will end only after Kento's retirement. Till then Lin Dan is the GOAT.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It depends on how people perceive "prime" Lin Dan. To me prime LD would be the tactical smart play with youth physicality and smash power. Not an old man who would run out of gas playing 3 setters day by day and practically no power to smash.
    Besides, I don't think LD would give up any match or end up melting down without a fight.

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

16. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    I'd make a cynical guess and suggest he wants to keep the sponsor's money flowing ...

buibui2 likes this.
  17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

What about Zhang Nan? He's not a Yonexer.
    I can't seem to find the list anywhere..

18. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    If he play there, it's because they need points.

Zhang/Ou will also play in Vietnam Super 100, two weeks from now.

yuquall likes this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

For me, prime LD is 2008-2012 LD. Especially 2009, 2011. He was playing the 2011 SS finals with different rackets due to a shoulder injury and still running circles around anyone other than LCW, also look at his match vs CL there for a peek of uncoached CL....overall, I think he's a more complete player in that period, as he added more and more weapons to his arsenal after his 2008 OG win. He was an unrivaled attacker in 2008, but added more tactical depth and refined his game from a technical stand point (even more deception, cleaner execution, more control). His 2011 WC campaign is a master class, always staying in control, picking his attacking opportunities well...

buibui2, mohans and skhai91 like this.
  20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...at the same time! heh.

#12000 samkool, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019