Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

you should ask steen :D I think he said that at the asian games last year (or was it at japan open?)

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

1 reason i dont want old pair like AhsanHendra win OG is they wont have much time to defend it anymore. Just like the previous 2 editions.

Like you win OG but its gone right away. In that sense, I really respected LinDan. He might lose but he still keeps playing on.

3. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Minion Fan Y: Gideon's neck-high serves under the old service rules are fine, because the service judge didn't call them!
    Also Minion Fan Y: Choi's serves are dirty, why didn't the service judge call them?

The cognitive dissonance is hilarious

Dangho and Biglever like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Just say the full name out loud :rolleyes:

5. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

There's no pair in MD who defended their Olympic gold medal, except for fu haifeng (but with different partner).
    Having one gold medal at Olympic is more than enough for all your whole badminton career, more than you could ask for. Lin dan & fu did something beyond believe by winning 2 gold medals.

I want minions to get the gold medal not because hendra/ahsan too old to defend it later, but simply because I think minions are still the best & most consistent MD players, at least for now. So in technical/skills wise, they deserve it. But again, Olympic isnt just about skills/seeds/ranks, it's also about luck and other unforeseen factors combined together.
    Lee/yoo & ahsan/hendra are prime examples how harsh the Olympic could be

Yoji and wade like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's not the game plan that didn't work. Even when Fajar/Rian or Ahsan/Hendra had game plans but they still lost too.

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Last year minions lost WC too when they showed up with their newest jersey, the bee striped. Maybe Yonex should stop making new jerseys for minions to wear in major tournaments :D

8. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

I should agree with this. Maybe some cant accept it (that's why I stated it as controversy), but for me as long as the service judge doesnt call it, I'll accept it as a fair service

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

"Legal" is not the same as "Fair"

10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Pressure is something that is hardly controllable. Some handle it better than others that's all. Minions are never performing well at WCs and it is not their play, strategy or their opponents, instead it's a battle against themselves they need to win. They'll have to find the solution soon. Was it Gideon last chance at the WC title? (or at least his last chance being paired with Kevin)

11. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Well fair is subjective tho, while legal is something regulated

12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Those serves must have been annoying to handle. As a player (although at a lower level) I do find myself holding my service for 3 seconds, more or less... but I dislike it when an opponent wait more than 5 seconds. I didn't count but some serves seemed to be longer than 5 seconds... yet it's not worst in term of nerves toying than what Kevin sometimes does to his opponents. I'll call it a rather (o_O:p) "fair" serve. Somehow...

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I dont think 1 tournament will break their partnership but they need to show something at the Olympics. Well, all pairs need to otherwise we will expect most new pairs after the OlympicGames. I think only Shetty/RR will last lot longer after the OG.

Then the new pairs like Leo/Daniel will come to the fore. Who knows if they are the one that will win WC2021.

14. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    I think it's most likely viewed similar ways as VAR now in football in the UK. It's seen as fair when it helps your side out and unfair when it doesn't.

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Exactly. Not being called by a service judge just means the service is legal.
    Uncalled high serves are unfair and delayed serves are unfair. While high serves rely heavily on service judge's judgment. But Choi was delaying serves to wait till the opponent to be in a "not ready" position to receive. Shouldn't the receiver be in ready position when the shuttle was struck to be legal?

16. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

I just wonder...if they play for china, with 3 straight years not producing at the WC, will the coach split them ?

17. sunburner

sunburner New Member

Have we ever seen a service delay called in a tournament match? Who has the power to call service delay? Service judge or the umpire?

I counted that Choi usually took 5 seconds from the moment he placed the racket behind the shuttle to actually hit it. However, there's a few times where he took less time than that, catching Marcus off guard. Marcus also seemed to let his guard down as well when he's not receiving (i.e. when Kevin is receiving from Choi), -- you can see that he's annoyed, dropped both his hands on the side, lost focus and made a mess of his own shots when the shuttles came his way.

ebcd likes this.
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

But it wasn't just today's match that I had said out loud about my thoughts on Choi's delaying tactic in service or receiving. I noticed his serve quite some time ago, especially during his match against Ko/Shin in some Super 300 tournament when he clashed with Ko at that time. I guess people just started commenting on this after he appeared on tv court more.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

But winning 7-8 titles a year. Could be a dilemma for them too.

20. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

The thing about splitting a pair is that you have to have another sufficiently skilled player. Right now INA have Ahsan/Setiawan and Kevin/Gideon and Alfian/Ardianto as those that can compete at the top. Ahsan/Setiawan complement each other very well so splitting them doesn’t make sense. Someone suggested that Ardianto be paired with Kevin, but Ardianto is notorious to be nervous in tight moments just like Gideon. Alfian is the one with a fairly strong mentality that can somewhat complement Kevin, but their playstyles do not match, both being net players.

ebcd likes this.