2019 World Championships

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by s_mair, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

i dont think AY will win ,those who have good performance in super series .they dont perform well in major tournaments .especially in WS,MD

2. movingbase

movingbase Regular Member

As you know, it is difficult for the rest to compete with Zheng/Huang & Wang/Huang! They are completely on a different level compared to the rest of XD pairs out there. The ones that could pose a threat to them are perhaps, in my opinion, will be either the Thai or Japanese pairings.

3. Twitchington

Twitchington Regular Member

Agreed, the Thai and Japanese pairs has what it takes to beat those two. They just need to be extremely focused and doesn’t lose concentration on crucial stage of the game. The Thai pair almost beat Wang/Huang and Zheng/Huang on multiple occasions but they went sideways first too often. If they’re able to capture the momentum and hang on to it more, it’ll be very interesting in XD. The same goes to the Japanese pair. Too bad they made too many easy mistakes at Thailand Open in the final so Wang/Huang took the title once again.

trizzforce likes this.
  4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Can someone who has experience going to St Jakobshalle answer if it is really this strict about bringing stuff there? According to the security policy it seems as if nothing is allowed.

Information on the security policy of the TOTAL BWF Badminton World Championships 2019 and TOTAL BWF Para-Badminton World Championships 2019:

Prohibited items:

• Food and beverages of any kind (there are various catering facilities inside the arena)
    • Backpacks, suitcases, bags, handbags, etc. larger than DIN A4 (210 x 297 mm)
    • Photo cameras, video cameras, digital cameras, phonographs, selfie sticks, GoPros, etc.
    • PET bottles, cans, glass bottles, Tetra Paks, beer barrels, aerosol paint, alcohol, etc.
    • Knives, weapons, teargas, pepper sprays, noisemakers, laser pointers, fireworks of all kinds, pyrotechnics of all kinds, etc.
    • Umbrellas, motorcycle helmets, flagstaffs, etc.
    • Animals
    This list is not exhaustive. In case of violation, the object concerned will be retained and the involved individuals will be barred from the event.

Strict controls will be carried out at the entrance and inside the arena.

[​IMG]

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Very hard to tell how strict they will be. The times I've been at the Swiss Open, they were completely relaxed so it was no issue at all to bring a backpack with some food and beverage (the prices inside the venue are just crazy...). But I'm not sure if the regulations were as strict as they are now with the WC (guess that's the highest BWF standard).

Personally, I'll be bringing a small bag with some water and some sandwiches and test my luck. The Swiss people in general are known to be friendly, cool headed and reasonable, so I'd expect they might just take the stuff away at maximum.

CLELY, stanleyfm, Saru and 2 others like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

When I went to AO, nothing was allowed to be brought in except the beverages or food purchased from the food shop or vending machine inside the arena. They checked every bag thoroughly and pretty much telling people to get rid of all drink or food/snack from outside.

However, I have successfully smuggled my favorite drink (bubble tea) inside to keep me relaxed. Just keep it out of their sight and hands :D:p Still bought some water from their store or vending machine.

Strangely enough it was much more relaxed in Japan despite it was Super 750. I am not sure about their regulation but apparently they didn't seem to mind as long as we consumed the food in the designated area.

7. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

In All England 2016 the food and beverage policy was great, it was possible to bring bananas, sandwiches, water-bottles etc in a backpack around laptop size through security with their approval, also a camera was fine, and an umbrella. This policy mentioned above just seems ridiculous.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I guess the AO organizers tried to get as much revenue as they could from the food and drinks sale. The ticket sales probably would get them nowhere near getting a break even, let alone any profit.

stanleyfm likes this.
  9. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    In earlier editions they were relaxed, but this year they were strict...
    Only my girlfriend's purse got IN after they had a look. I had to give in my backpack inside the arena but before getting into the shoping zone.
    At least we could get there from time to time and drink something.

But with this experience I'm sure they will be strict during WC.

s_mair likes this.
  10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Did you get your backpack back later or what happened?

11. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Yes, I got a coin. There was a wardrobe!

Sundis likes this.
  12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

At least that sounds a bit reassuring

13. Verhoef

Verhoef Regular Member

Warehouse employee
    Hello all, I saw on the tournamentsite that they have published the schedules for monday and tuesday. Are the times set or is there a possibility that they might change? I'm arriving in Basel on monday at around 15:00 uur. I would love to catch a few matches in the afternoon to get a first taste of the atmosphere in the hal!

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-08-17/doc-ihytcitm9867510.shtml
    [​IMG]
    Brice Leverdez wrote on his social media blog:" I won't be taking part in next week's world championship. Since sustaining an ankle injury in July, I've done everything possible to prepare myself, but I've to face reality, I'm not ready yet and need more therapy. However, I will spare no effort to get ready for the September world tour series."

Brice's last-minute withdrawal means his first round opponent, J O Jorgensen, progresses to round two.

CLELY and Michael V like this.
  15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Satwik Sairaj/Chirag Shetty has withdrawn from World Championships due to injury to both. Unfortunate.

16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

What a disappointing World Championship tournament for MS. Shi Yuqi is out. Viktor is out. LCW has retired.

Two big threats to Momota, Shi Yuqi and LCW, won’t be there. The next biggest threat to Momota would be Christie and Ginting. If Momota doesn’t win this WC, he will have thrown away a good opportunity.

17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I don't think it's that simple, even for KM who is clearly a favourite at this WC. On this kind of tournament anything is possible. Just look at LCW, he dominated MS for years being number 1 and yet never won the WC.

18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Regardless of any debate on the uncertainty of sports, effect from olympic period, and injury happens all the time,
    the number of players not participating in this WC has exceeded my acceptance level........

BWF MUST RETHINK THEIR SCHEDULING OR TOURNAMENTS' ALLOCATION
    otherwise, this will occur more often and this tournament will sort of like losing its 'prestige' (in the long run)

s_mair likes this.
  19. minions

minions Regular Member

Feels like playing more tournaments contribute to some players get injured. The top committed player policy doesn't help.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, i cant see Momota not winning this tournament. the QF opponent is way too easy. in SF , more likely he play 1 of the 2 INA players. Cant see anyway he will lose unless he sustained an injury.

Its much less clear cut in MD though. anyone can end up winning it , though i will go for AhsanHendra to win it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.