India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI announces Indian Team for Asian Junior Championships.

2. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

When did Chetan Anand become a coach? Good to see him coaching young players. And what about Pranav Rao Gandham and Sai Vishnu Pullela ?

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Junior players were picked on performances in 2 ranking tournaments. The players with max points made the team. Gayatri Gopichand is another player who missed out with below par performance.

Baddie lover likes this.
  4. Baddie lover

There are three TN players too in MS squad. Good to see players coming from new states too. I only knew about Sankar Muthusamy from TN. Regarding the squad, Maisnam and Samiya will reach far imo. Aditi Bhatt/ Tanisha Crasto is a strong pair too.

5. ainchekar

ainchekar Regular Member

Is there any way of watching senior national ranking tournament at PGA Hyderabad? I mean streaming..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Gayatri Gopichand springs a surprise and wins her first Senior Ranking Title in WS and WD at Hyderabad. If she had played like this she would have made the AJC team. Anyway good signs for the future, competition is pushing WS. Akarshi Kashyap won the WS title the previous week in Vijayawada. Lakshya Sen won the MS title. Siril Verma has shown some improvement, he lost to Lakshya in the semis.

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Chetan set for new role as Indian coach
    By Author N Jagannath Das | Published:22nd Jun 2019 12:07 am
    [​IMG]
    Chetan Anand
    Hyderabad: It may have come wee bit late but four-time National champion Chetan Anand is happy and delighted that he will embark to Suzhou, China, as one of the coaches for the junior Asian badminton tournament that will be held from July 20 to 28. Incidentally, this is first big assignment for the 38-year-old champion shuttler. “I’m happy that I have been given an assignment. It is a big tournament and it is all about enjoying the new role,’’ said Anand.

Anand said coaching has changed but the basics remain the same. “The hectic international schedule has made fitness as one of key areas that has become the X-factor for any player. Game wise it is all about speed. In the past a player could indulge in some strokes but that has changed. It is more of keeping the shuttles on the court. The defence has become strong and there is a plenty of court movement.’’

According to this former stylish player, a few are willing to play the strokes. Sometimes it is difficult to play your strokes. It has become a big risk. If you play more strokes, there are chances of making mistakes. They just wait to put the shuttle on the court and then look for an opportunity to kill it.’’

Anand added that a lot of emphasis is on endurance. “Patience is something which has become very important in the game. Although the defence has become stronger, it all depends on how you play the game. It is a mind game. If you smash, you have to do it skillfully. There should be some variations in your smashes to surprise your opponents.’’

He pointed out that very few are playing close to the net or trying to dribble, which is always an art in badminton. ”I would always prefer a net game as it helps in deceiving your opponent and even get an opportunity to finish off the rally. Now it is more of parallel game. It tests your patience.’’

Anand also said there is Chinese revival but at the same time other countries too have become stronger. “There is a fierce competition in international badminton. In India, if you see, there are more exposure trips and that has helped in bringing good results. Although, Saina (Nehwal), Sindhu or (Kidambi) Srikanth have not been able to produce the desired results, it is a matter of time before they bounce back strongly in international circuit.’’

The coach felt that there is a good promise in the junior section in the country. “There is an eagerness to perform. Players like Maisnam Meiraba have been showing good improvement. Samiya (Imad Farooqui) is playing very well. She has the talent to become a good attacking player which is good for international circuit. The next few years are very crucial as they have to make mark in international badminton in a big way like Saina, Sindhu or Srikanth, who have brought laurels to the country. I’m sure these young shuttlers will take up challenge in right earnest.’’

Link: https://telanganatoday.com/chetan-set-for-new-role-as-indian-coach

8. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Improve fitness and stay injury free: Pullela Gopichand
    Published:26th June 2019 02:43 PM
    [​IMG]
    Indian badminton coach Pullela Gopichand (File Photo | EPS)

By PTI
    HYDERABAD: Chief national coach Pullela Gopichand wants his wards to improve their fitness and stay injury free as they look to put up a good show in the upcoming tournaments this season.

Saina Nehwal is the only Indian to win a title this season after she clinched the Indonesia Masters following the injury to Spain's Carolina Marin in the final.

B Sai Praneeth and Kidambi Srikanth came close to winning titles when they reached the finals of Barcelona Spain Masters and India Open Super 500 event before losing to China's Shi Yu Qi and Denmark's Viktor Axelsen respectively.

Asked about the performance of Indian players this year, Gopichand said: "I have spoken about it in the last few days. The training is going on. Hopefully, we will be able to improve our fitness and injury worries.

"Next month, we have tournaments in Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, and hopefully we will have good performances."

He was speaking on the sidelines of a foundation laying (Bhumi Puja) ceremony for a new badminton training centre, sports science centre and a coach development centre at the Gopichand Badminton Academy here.

The ceremony was attended by Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana ESL Narasimhan, Telangana Sports Minister V Srinivas Goud, among others.

The new training centre would have six air-conditioned courts which would help players in a big way as most international events are held in air-conditioned courts, Gopichand said.

"Overall, it's great to have six air-conditioned courts. Because, most international events are held in weather-controlled, air-conditioned courts. So, to actually have them for practice, is something very good," he said.

The sports science centre would have space for gyms and also dedicated personnel for nutrition, physiology, psychology along with physiotherapy and bio-mechanics, he said.

It will also host facilities for sports research, sport analysis and also video analysis.

"So, we will have these entire set up which is the back support for the players and also coach development which is looking at developing coaches for the future," he said

Link: http://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...y-injury-free-pullela-gopichand-1995656.html#

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You don't need the AC for those courts, just place fans at different spots every day...also you won't get the same conditions as in a huge venue, ever, so personally I think it's just a waste of resources (as most ACs are). Anyway, I was a bit surprised at how bad last year was compared to before - I would've thought that Indian players would've won at least 2 or 3 lesser tournaments, but apparently not. I'm a bit amused that this is what feels like the 10th time they want to emphasize 'fitness and staying injury-free', apparently they don't know how to do that if they need to further emphasize it year after year :D
    Sorry if this seems derogatory, this is not about the players at all. I just find their PR in general and Gopichand in particular a bit annoying and disingenuous. Gopichand just rubs me the wrong way and doesn't seem honest at all in these written-down interviews, especially when you look at his actions it does seem like hes interested in making money more than the success of the Indian team (apart from it being advertisement for his academies). Could just be me having the wrong impression, of course, but I still remember some shenanigans with team selections not too far back (where players not in one of his academies were not selected, surprisingly).
    Anyhow, let's see if Indian MS can return. Kidambi has not looked promising at all, but maybe he can overcome a critical mental issue and go back to being a title contender...

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Don't know what annoys me more about the article, how badly it is written or how it generalizes a disease with no regards whatsoever to severity or other individual aspects. Asthma can very much still be an issue, and even prevent a professional career. A few anecdotal examples to the contrary don't change that.
    A better angle at this would've been to highlight that these particular players were and are able to overcome this adversity, which is admirable, without making an untrue statement that includes a slight negative implication about asthma sufferers who had it worse and didn't make it as a result.

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Indonesia Open 2019 WTS 1000

PV Sindhu used her training time well and had a good tournament overall. I was disappointed she didn't win the title but after so many early round exits this was a good performance. Akane Yamaguchi surprised Sindhu with relentless attack and deserved to win. Sindhu and her coaches will have to come up with a good counter strategy.

Among the MS players HS Prannoy showed glimpses of his old form and had a tight 3 game loss to Shi Yuqi. The performances of Sai Praneeth and Srikanth Kidambi were below par.

Nothing was expected from the doubles players.

Saina Nehwal and Sameer Verma
    will show us how they used their training time in the Japan Open.

mohans and Baddie lover like this.
  13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I heard that Saina Nehwal is unwell. We won't see her at the Japan Open. Not clear, if Saina will play the Thailand Open. Sameer Verma is still on the draw at the Japan Open.

14. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Oh come on, no news of Chirag / Rankireddy in Thailand Super 500 Final, after defeating Ko/Shin(former World Champions)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  15. Baddie lover

I hope this performance gains media coverage. They've always had their focus on singles. Best of luck to Satwik/Chirag

Cheung likes this.
  16. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    It has, but sad to see nothing on our forum.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Probably because no one cares about the TO

18. Baddie lover

Some do care and there have been posts in TO thread but yeah this thread is underused unlike other countries thread

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I understand what you mean - especially since this seems to be a bit of a first for Indian doubles, no? Can't remember any MD in semis of a serious tournament - do take this with a big grain of salt as I do not follow all tournaments closely, so it's definitely possible I missed something.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  20. Baddie lover

You're right , this is the first time Indian MD team has reached finals of SS level tournament. Satwik/Chirag is way better than other Indian pairs. I did my part spreading the word about the final to my friends. If only doubles got more focus like singles, sigh.

badmuse likes this.