Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Peak CTC losing again would have been quite a sight.

2. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

So does he have a believable chance to go to Tokyo now or will SYQ resume form after a few months?

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

All depends on how LD will perform until next May. He needs to at least be in top 8 to qualify (unless both SYQ and CL have lower ranking than him). Haven't yet watched his match today, but he didn't walk away over some dispute line calls so I assume he is pretty serious about it.

4. super-g

super-g Regular Member

You see what you want to see. Surely there is a conspiracy against Lin Dan, otherwise he would not have lost a single match in his career.

If you look at that linecall again, frame-by-frame, it is clear that shuttle hits Lin Dan head and changes trajectory before landing. And still he protests the line call :eek:

visor likes this.
  5. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Exactly, it will also depend on how SYQ will perform

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well, at least we should celebrate Lin Dan's sportsmanship for not withdrawing from the match or any tournament. Baby steps. :p

Saru and esppy like this.
  7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i thought i was watching a korean tournament...

8. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    Hopefully a speedy recovery for him. That ankle swelled up so quickly and big.

9. birdbird

birdbird Regular Member

Any news how bad the injury is? Just a sprain, or did he tear something (hope not). That swelling looked insane on camera.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan’s ranking set to drop further after defeat
    • Friday, 19 Jul 2019
    image: https://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/...hash=78574203470072BC74B7E6209C34B18286F54F9D

[​IMG]
    KUALA LUMPUR: China’s two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan’s (pic) world ranking is set to drop further after losing in the second round of the Indonesian Open.

The 35-year-old Lin Dan went down fighting 22-24, 21-17, 13-21 to Chou Tien-chen of Taiwan in a 76-minute men’s singles match at Istora Senayan in Jakarta yesterday.

The world No. 14 has been struggling since winning the Malaysian Open title in March.

He failed to make a mark in the last four tournaments at the Singapore Open (first round), Asian Championships in China (second round), New Zealand Open (semi-finals) and Australian Open (quarter-finals).

Based on his current standing, Lin Dan is not in the running for next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.

A country can have a maximum of two representatives at the Games if both of them are in the top-eight standing when the one-year qualifying period ends in April.

Currently, his teammates – world No. 2 Shi Yuqi and world No. 4 Chen Long are in the running for the two tickets.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...rop-further-after-defeat/#64M1Pgvv7D2GZbRQ.99

11. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

If you watch the slow mo replay of SYQ’s ankle roll, you can see he overextends it quite drastically in not just one but TWO directions. That means he may very well have torn/severed multiple ligaments which could mean extensive surgery followed by many months of rehab to even be able to even set foot on a court, and then many months after that to be back to full form. Viktor’s ankle injury wasn’t half as bad and he’s still not back to his pre-injury level of play.

I don’t know why more people aren’t talking about the fact that SYQ’s Olympic qualifying chances are near impossible, which means there’s a very good chance LD can qualify if he goes into super saiyan mode starting now...

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It has only been 3 months since qualification starts and the current ranking doesn't matter :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Even if LD dropped his ranking to 50 now, as long as he raises his ranking by next April him qualifying is still possible.
    With SYQ injured and CL not doing that well, chance is even higher.

LD was pretty determined in IO though he lost in the end. He didn't withdraw unlike in some tournament because he probably felt that he get the respect he deserved this time.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The Lin Dan vs Chou Tien Chen video is here, judged for yourself at 21-20 with Lin Dan on matchpoint

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Judge what? He's lost so he's lost. I don't think anything matters now.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Win or lose, getting the linecall right is most important, as a matter of principle. Of course, it can't change anything now, that doesn't mean we can't talk about it for interest's sake.

16. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I remember the same case of World tour finals when Sameer Verma was level at 20-20 at second game against SYQ (SV won the first game). At that time SYQ killed the shuttle before the shuttle crossed to his side of the court. SV was robbed of that point. But yeahh, that's life. What's done is done. Umpires and line judges are also error prone.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Linecall mistakes can be corrected by Hawk-eye IRS, not net faults which is up to the umpire. But, yeah, I get your point.

18. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    But the point is, the technology that is needed to correct those errors is there(since 15+ yrs, if anybody knows about cricket they will know) like incase the shuttle had touched the racquet frame while going outside the baseline, or atleast referring up a third referee(like third umpire in cricket) to whom we could challenge the netkill faults. Everything possible error can be rectified, and I don't know why the umpires have been given that much of power.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They have that power because otherwise no one could decide and youd have disputes all the time. It might be possible to introduce a hawk-eye system for the net, but those things aren't cheap. Afaik they cost a 5 figure sum per day and court, but that's just a number in my head for some reason, not a sure thing at all. But you're welcome to develop a system yourself if it's that easy (hint: it isn't).
    You would do well to remember that the rules all stem from a time with no assistance systems whatsoever, and that you can't always implement all technologically possible things while remaining profitable. Also, rule changes always take a lot of time in sports. In football, they didn't have any video evidence for the longest of times, I think badminton is doigg quite well in comparison.

LenaicM likes this.
  20. super-g

super-g Regular Member

I don't think so. Shuttle was never going over the net but Shi Yuqi did contact the shuttle from his own side. See this image:
    [​IMG]

There was similar situation in Momota - Chou Tien Chen match a while ago where BWF commentators again wrongly said Momota hit it from opponent side. People see what they want to see if even if they are wrong. Let's not let facts ruin good discussion and conspiracy theories.

LenaicM likes this.