What is your diet plan?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by magelarsen, Jun 27, 2019.

1. magelarsen

magelarsen New Member

Hi guys and gals, I just joined!

I am just wondering if anyone here is following a diet like vegetarian, vegan, paleo, keto, low-carb-high-fat, non-glutten, etc.

If yes, why do you do it and how it has affected your performance in badminton?

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend ahead!

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I'm vegetarian/non-gluten. I don't have any fancy advantages behind it. I hate animal cruelty and gluten makes pain in my joints and problems with my bowel. Makes it difficult at tournaments to get a source of carbs exclude sugar. Also protein sources are difficult on the road.

With meat I felt stronger, had more muscles and better regeneration/less injuries. With gluten it was easier to stuff some carbs in the daily life.

3. Heer

Heer Regular Member

I am also a vegetarian and does not not follow any stringent diet plan. I just starts taking carbohydrate rich diet 3-4 days before competition and avoid too much of fats. After match, I tries to take such a meal which includes all proteins and minerals.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've had more diets than I can count but at the moment it's

~2000-2100 kcal per day
    33/33/33% calories from carbs/protein/fat (aka "equal macros").

5. magelarsen

magelarsen New Member

That's nice! How do you maintain the energy when playing? Do you take dietary supplements?
    I go here in our local gym to play and feel always tired after few rounds. (probably aging? lol)
    Thanks!

6. magelarsen

magelarsen New Member

Thanks!

Same here. I don't follow a strict diet plan.

What happens in your performance if you take the high carb and low fat in your diet?
    Does your energy last? I've been googling for info on how to maintain energy.

7. magelarsen

magelarsen New Member

ooh nice! I should also count my calories. I've never tried it.
    Is your energy level enough to sustain one match?
    How many times in a week you play badminton and for how many hours?

I am not really a serious badminton player but I just picked it up lately to beat my routines* and of course to make new friends.

*(routine means work, motherhood, and dance lessons lol)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You need to increase fitness. It’s not just about diet.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I have stopped playing but I maintain a four-times-per-week gym schedule, 50% weights/50% cardio.

Counting calories is the "base of the pyramid" when it comes to weight control. In fact, I would say that if you can do it properly it is 80% of the job. Eat more than you burn = gain weight; burn more than you eat = lose weight. Simple as that.

If you go from a high-carb diet to a low-carb one there is an initial "adjustment" period - you will have less energy, notice your hunger more, and may even experience hypoglycemic episodes; this is your body adjusting from burning the carbs you eat to burning your endogenous fat stores. Once you get over that phase there should be no difference from your old diet - calories are calories, at the end of the day.

Cheung likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But here the OP is asking about increasing performance rather than weight loss.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Then it's carbs all day.
    FAST carbs, indeed.

12. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Well I do not follow any stringent diet plan as already mentioned but it is a well known fact that a good and balanced diet is needed to stay fit not only in sports but also in normal life so I just followed what was written in our school book and what our teacher teaches us. These guidelines are very easy to follow. For example , if any substance , for instance protein takes much time to digest so we can avoid it at the time of competition.
    And as books are written by experienced faculties, they are currect also , if any specific diet about any sport is kept aside.
    So it is not a bad idea to follow what we study in school.
    And as far as energy is concerned, yes I can play 3 tight games so I can say that my energy lasts for completing the match but I think practice, self determination and resistance to fatigue and negativity can work more than focussing quite a lot on diet.
    And pardon for late reply.

13. YvonneGrant64nTr

YvonneGrant64nTr New Member

I have tried plenty of different diets, but to be honest, I ended up gaining more weight. Now, I’m just trying to eat healthily and exercise more. For me, badminton is good cardio, and I can do it the whole day long. It is way may interesting rather than running on a treadmill and staring at one point. Also, healthy food plays a vital role when you workout. I found one popular weight loss program and there are plenty of tips on how to make your meal healthy. Also, you have a feeling of fullness. When I was on a diet, I was always starving. At the end of my diet, I was eating a lot of junk food. So, eating healthy is something more suitable for me.

#13 YvonneGrant64nTr, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    speCulatius likes this.
  14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Of its bouncy belly issue:p, i think badminton wont give you flat 6pac stomach. None of badminton action will makes your stomach flat.

But if its weight issue, well... My only issue considering i like to have culinary advanture, after my hard games sometimes i eat 2-3x portion i normaly take in 1 go:D. Basically the number of fat i eat surpass the number of fat i burn on my games.:p