Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Many of hashtag in IG Tribute use WorldNumberOne hashtag. Indeed its very important status, especially if you can do it 100 weeks, let alone 350 weeks...

Definitely the toughest player to play against throught everyones career. until the end, he is still so god.

Everytime he steps on court, he has this aura that he is going to win and it just feels much more dor malaysia:

2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I always looked forward the most to LCWs matches whenever I watched badminton

Baddie lover likes this.
  3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Both Godzilla (after killing King Ghidorah) and Drogon from Games of Throne (before leaving Kings Landing) has repeatedly said

"There are many players that has tasted multiple victory in the Thomas Cup campaign......
    There are also some players that has been crowned as multiple World Champion as well..... but.............................................
    There is only ONE player on this Milky Way Galaxy that held the helm as World Number One for 350 week...and that is none other than........ Datuk LCW"

lasalleguy and Yoji like this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, there are millions of Lin Dan fans who are not English-speaking, or this forum will be inundated by them.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, these two days alone, in the Chinese newsmedia, I already counted at least 20 articles about LCW's decision to retire and paying tribute to him. Indeed, he has a sizable following in China too.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

stanleyfm and FeatherDance like this.
  8. minions

minions Regular Member

9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Because of him, I started following badminton.

10. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

he inspired many to do the same. and that's why he will be missed.

Baddie lover likes this.
  11. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    There is only one LCW. Malaysia badminton now in dark ages for the next 20 years.....

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's a good point. and that explain all the sadness. we have seen numerous other player leaving the circuit, including players as famous as LCW, e.g. Gade, Taufik. i don't remember ppl having such sad reaction. it was mostly like... "oh. he retired, wish him well." type of response.

but for LCW, so much sadness. and probably a bit sudden and a bit out of his control.

14. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Somehow makes me think that fate has on several occasions already betrayed him in some important moments in his career.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

15. minions

minions Regular Member

Well, some things have been determined by God. People can give their very best, even to the point of sacrificing. But, only God knows the result. People plans, God decides.

Having said that, LCW's life has been filled with unfortunate things. Aside from his failure to won OG and WC gold medal, he had to face his own suspension 5 years ago and now this, his debilitating health. But, each of these, he always come back stronger. He never gives up no matter what happened to him. His spirit is really admirable. One day, he will achieve something greater than what he has dreamed for.

stanleyfm likes this.
  16. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Mikkey Dee from Motörhead said something admirable when Lemmy died as I think often on when I am forced to say goodbye to close friendship.

"I’d rather choose to celebrate his life than to cry over his death"

It won’t be hard for me to remember LCW’s career with a huge joy and greatness! :)

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think LCW makes bigger impact that LD in badminton world. LD had never suffer defeats in Olympic or WC Final, and not like LCW heartbreak defeats. Its easy and dandy to see someone keep winning. But LCW has always bounced from that adversity. His overall number of titles is the proof so imo, his life is like mixing up everything.. hardwork, consistency, brilliance, disappointments, succesion of near misses and then the way he retires. so its more meaningful and remembered

stanleyfm likes this.
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Um.. I don't think anyone can make bigger impact than LD in winning 2 Olympic Golds, 5 WC golds and so on. Winning multiple finals > Losing multiple finals. Especially in Major events.
    LD is the last one standing of all Legends too.

LD is LD. LCW is LCW.

visor, Justin L, rhoder and 5 others like this.
  19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Perhaps winning OG and WC but LCW career is more inspiring to other players/ to kids growing up. what is life without disappointment.

Yes LD is LD. but have you see LCW in 2006 MO final vs LD, that epic comeback, he was skinny and scrawl. in no way his smash is zippier than his final career match against momota. He doesnt look like he is going to be a top player, people might even think that win is luck but wow his transformation all while LD has always been LD.

not many players or kids are born with LD magnificent physique (2008OG Final is an exhibition of that) but many people kids are born with skinny or scrawl posture of LCW having that dreams that is almost impossible to achieve.

#14279 Yoji, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't think so. You only see whatever you want to see. How could you miss LD's many transformations throughout his long careers too? Winning OGs, WCs, or even AGs and AEs both you so highly regard are not inspiring?

You think LD had no disappointment ever? Hasn't he had lost many times too before he overcome his own issues? He has made a lot more epic comeback or rebound. Winning two OGs after losing in R1 Olympics despite being one of the favorites? What's that not to inspire any other players or even LCW himself?

LD is on his way to fulfill his dream while LCW in tears had to call it quit. Not to be disrespectful, but had LCW taken care of his own health and body better and more delicately in his past couple of years, he might have still been on his way (even much more certain chance than LD) to be the first male single player to play in five olympics.

Both are full inspiration to others though probably in their own different way.