Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

For real? *thumbs down*

2. minions

minions Regular Member

C'mon, guys. Give the CHN team a break. Even if LD is selected, it is not guaranteed that LD will play. Personally, CHN team does a great job to give more exposure and focus to the youngsters. Instead of relying the old ones, the team looks forward and move on.

Justin L likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I second that, for similar reasons I've stated in the Zhang Nan thread.

4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

A bit late to the 'shock' exit at the Singapore Open, but this popped up on my YouTube feed. LD reeeeally doesn't like bad line calls :mad:

buibui2 and LenaicM like this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan lost tamely today to Ng Kah Long at the NZ Open'19 semis, practically unrecognisable, an anti-climax coming immediately after how he disposed of Anthony Ginting yesterday in spirited, rousing fashion.

Apparently, his recover rate is considerably slower within a match and between matches than when he was under 30 years of age. No doubt, he has demonstrated at the MAS Open'19 and the early rounds of the New Zealand Open'19 that he's now capable of taking on some of the every best in the circuit and that he is still a force to be reckoned with, but, I'm afraid his ability to maintain his form throughout a tournament is really getting few and far between.

While I fully understand, owing to his 'advanced age' and personal circumstances as well as the privileges accorded him by CBA for his great accomplishments, he has and wants to be very selective in the tournaments he plays, what to prioritize, when to peak, and suchlike, a luxury he can well afford and has been enjoying so for quite a long time.

But, there is a catch now, this time he is aiming for another Olympics for which he must qualify for one of the two spots available per nation/MA, a quota set by BWF and IOC. To compound matters, his results these few years have been indifferent, to say the least, and his world ranking has been languishing consistently behind his two younger fellow outstanding compatriots, namely, Shi Yuqi and Chen Long, not to mention another even younger colleague, Lu Guangzu, who is snapping at his heels.

Now that the Tokyo 2020 OG qualification cycle has just kicked off, his tournament planning criteria and his performance cannot but take into account how his fellow teammates vying with him for the OG spots are doing. As it is, he must try his level best to overtake at least one of the two ranked above him and at the same time prevent any others ranked beneath him from outpacing him. In short, what tournaments he chooses to play and how he should perform is practically dictated more by how his fellow competitors are faring in the tournaments they play in, thus setting the pace for him instead.

Suffice to say, as of now, especially after seeing how he was unflatteringly stopped by Ng Kah Long at the semifinals stage of the ongoing New Zealand Open WTS300 event, I must admit Lin Dan's road to Tokyo 2020 is fraught with difficulties, if not insurmountable obstacles.

Thus far, honestly, my bet is still on Shi Yuqi and Chen Long for the two OG tickets.I know, we're just off the starting blocks for the race to Tokyo 2020, it's early days yet, I may have spoken too soon and may be forced to eat my words and revised my prognostications along the way. We'll see.

Nevertheless, personally, come what may, even if Lin Dan falters and misses the last train to Tokyo 2020, the fact that I still get to see the one and only Lin Dan playing and continuing to put some of the upstarts and hotshots in their places every now and then is already more than I can wish for.

Lin Dan, Jiayou ! Go! Go! Go!

Simeon, Neel Dhebar and Vivek Bagadhi like this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Watching the video evokes a lot of nostalgia. What a huge difference, almost worlds apart, the Lin Dan then at 26 years of age at the Japan Open 2010 ,and the Lin Dan today aged 35.

Even Peter Gade is impressive, if he were still competing today and playing like he did in the video, I've no doubt he would be among the top 2/3 and capturing a couple of prestigious titles , unlike in those days when Lin Dan and Lee CW were so dominant as to deny him any chances.

Thanks for posting.

buibui2 and Tec07 like this.
  7. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

V
    Well said. This semi final puts LD at China #1 as far points towards Tokyo are concerned. Of course, that doesn't mean much at this stage but he is capable of putting up better and more consistent performances later this year.

8. D-Boy

D-Boy New Member

Student
    I guess forums are not as popular as they used to be. I would have expected a lot more chatter from the recent badminton bwf opens.
    But I still have to dig:

Any comments or post analysis about the Lin Dan vs Ng Ka Long game?
    Was it that he was just tired? Or something to do with Ng Ka Long's physical style of play?
    Perhaps he didn't have time to over-prepare for this kind of opponent

Reasoning being, it's often a pending question why Lin Dan often gives top seeds a lot of trouble ie:
    Ginting 2-3
    Jonatan Christie 2-4
    Chou Tien Chen 7-2
    But sometimes has trouble with players that rarely make F or SF ie:
    Ng Ka Long.

For the record, he has done mediocre against Shi YuQi 2-5.
    Perhaps he has trouble with pure reaction stamina player?
    (Ginting is quite a stamina/speed player, but perhaps it's attack that Lin Dan reads easily?)

buibui2 likes this.
  9. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

It's really interesting to watch these old videos. Crazy how far the sport has come in not even ten years.

buibui2 likes this.
  10. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I haven’t exactly watched a lot of his matches recently but it feels like he can have a decent H2H with players that make quite a few unforced errors in games on their off days. He struggles either when the opponent is perfect in their attacking play on the day such that he has no answers (e.g VA), or if the opponent is skilled and consistent enough to outmanoeuvre him for the entirety of their match (e.g SYQ, Momota). Players that cannot do either of the above for the majority of their meetings will allow LD to get a decent H2H with them. Just my rudimentary thoughts.

buibui2 likes this.
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

While forums arent as popular, it has become harder to follow badminton - at least in my experience. I dont even know where I could possibly watch current events, because bwf apparently sold the rights to some third grade TV station here who dont even use them, so there is no TV or YT coverage for weeks or months (in some cases, ever). So instead of catching the odd live game here and there where I have the time, I watch almost nothing anymore because its so much of a hassle. But I'm so glad they restructured the whole tournament circuit, that was such an issue!

buibui2 likes this.
  12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I‘m using the integrated VPN option of Opera to watch it live and the recorded matches from the BWF YouTube channel. Works like a charm. Even 1080p streaming is fluid. All for free!

buibui2 and j4ckie like this.
  13. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Watched till the end of the last match's stream hoping for any glimpses of LD :( Wish he made appearance somewhere.

14. s3160717

s3160717 Regular Member

LD is in olympic mode

15. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Maybe LD and SYQ will qualify for Tokyo? CL has not been impressive for a while

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Realistically speaking only SYQ of the three has a real chance for a medal.

Saru, skhai91 and buibui2 like this.
  17. Shuttle Arc

Shuttle Arc New Member

Lin Dan vs Prannoy HS. Australian Open 2019. Nice Angle.

buibui2 likes this.
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

All I hope for is that LD just qualifies for Tokyo. Medal chance doesn't matter. That's all up to him.

buibui2 likes this.
  19. Shuttle Arc

Shuttle Arc New Member

I think he still has a realistic chance to medal if he can somehow boost his explosiveness a little bit and play a more attacking style.

Skillwise and anticipation he is still one of the best. But pretty hard to win if he just plays counterattack all the time.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I don't know if you realized it but that's a bit like saying "Lü Xiaojun could've won Olympic Gold if he had just lifted 2kg more" :D it may be true, but at the same time, it's very likely not possible. Also I don't see LD being that good anymore, at least not if the Top10 can deliver up to their ranking/expectation. Then again, that is improbable if Ginting and Christie can both qualify.... :D