What are common technique mistakes that's easily fixable?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Mar 21, 2019.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

In your experience, what are some of the most common technique mistakes that's easily fixable?

For me, I often see beginners hold the racket in flyswatter grip (thumb on side, little to no pronation) and they don't change grip for any strokes. I myself was doing that until somebody told me about the correct grips and pronation. While it took me damn near 8 months just simply getting used to the new grips, it was easy not doing the flyswatter anymore because all I had to do was...not hold it that way.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Backhand serve with racket foot back. Stupidly easy to fix.

ucantseeme, Mason and DarkHiatus like this.
  3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Similarly, but probably worse: receiving serve with the racquet foot forwards.

ucantseeme and Charlie-SWUK like this.
  4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I don't have time to write a response to this thread. There are so many. But for god's sake: get behind the shuttle and reach up at full height with the correct grip.

And don't come back until it's perfect.

darrengsaw and Mason like this.
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have tried to correct that for many beginners. but while the idea is simple, it is not easy to actually do it! as you said, it took you 8 months.

coz once the grip is changed, then need to change the forearm, shoulder, posture, the whole shebang. it is not "easy"!

Mason likes this.
  6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Ah, this is anything but simple! I'm still working on this one loads.

I know I have the footwork. I can be in the perfect position, and yet I'll still wait for the shuttle to practically plonk me on the head.

7. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Learning to do the correct grips were very difficult but I found not doing the flyswatter anymore was easy. It only took convincing that it was the wrong way.

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Granted its not easy. But it is very simple. AND most players NEVER learn it. Sigh.

9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The easiest/fastest issue I fixed regarding technique was not holding the racket arm in ready to swing position when moving backward before performing a forehand stroke. I used to let my racket hang on the floor instead and when an advanced player noticed it and told me, I fixed it pretty much on the spot.

10. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

Your issue isn’t as bad as when I see players moving backwards with the racquet up in the air

11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Only because it was the easiest issue I had to fix :D I'm still working on the less easy ones... and there are plenty.

12. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Fixed it on the spot?! I wish my brain worked like yours. Dropping my racket is one of my most common problems. I can *literally* be thinking "keep racket up" while my hand is holding is lowering it it. My brain and body have a major disconnect! :D

13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

It takes a lot of time for me too. That one happened when I was a complete beginner so easier to change than a bad habit. For example when it comes to play doubles - which I rarely do - I always come back to a central/defensive position after playing at the net instead of covering the front court area. I start moving backward after a net shot knowing perfectly I should stay there but it's a habit I got from singles play and this one is going to take some serious motivation and doubles play time to get rid of... :rolleyes: