Mohd Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Licin, Aug 31, 2012.

1. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Ahsan was obviously man of the match.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Completely the other way around in my eyes. Ahsan cost them more points in both won games. Setiawan was far more decisive. Overall, a good game as a duo, although a pretty bad match for an AE final imop, through no fault of Ahsan and Setiawan though - can only beat what's before you. And while I haven't seen their run through this tournament, the Malaysian pair did nothing to impress me in this match...or in any other match I've seen before at other tournaments
    Also looked like Setiawan had some trouble moving, so that's even more impressive if he actually has an injury problem

stanleyfm likes this.
  3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The match is certainly far from the best MD matches, but it is indeed a very remarkable strategic performance from the Indonesian

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, it's certainly not their fault the Malaysians didn't play well in G2/G3, and their age and style doesn't lend itself to spectacular matches anymore. While that is in no way a criticism of them, I would've wished for 2 different finalists tbh :D

5. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

Hendra had problems with the calf muscle. He could barley walk yesterday. But they played superb yesterday against the two japaneese players.

Today was a tactically masterclass around his injury. Sure, this doesn't end in a nice-to-watch-match but tactically impressive.

That said I'm not unbiased here, I'm simply a big hendra fan I must admit.

wade likes this.
  6. wade

wade Regular Member

I think fajar/rian vs ahsan hendra would gave us a better final, but if that happen I doubt ahsan/hendra would win the title.

BTW, really happy to see them winning a big title again, ahsan tears tells everything...this title means a lot to him (and hendra). hope hendra can recover from that calf injury as soon as possible.

Baddie lover, jerrytancy and Super85 like this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What impressed me so much, apart from winning despite an injury that visibly hampered him, was that he was able to put that nightmarish first fame behind him and was actually the better of the 2 in G2&3. While he certainly couldn't have moved as well as Ahsan, and couldn't have done it without him, he was both less error-prone and more decisive. Played some incredible crosscourt drives from the mid-court that caught the Malaysians off-guard and either won the point directly or set up the winner.
    And despite not being able to move, he was still the best player at the net. Personally I don't quite understand why the Malaysians didn't abuse him and his hampered mobility more, but that just plays into why I'm not impressed with them and don't think they'll do too much. Don't seem tactically adept.

8. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

Yeah, they don't even tried to flick a serve to Hendra. Don't got that either.

9. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

That's why I don't get it why people act like ahsan just carrying setiawan or something, yes he had a nightmare in game 1 but like you said, he's arguably the better player in game 2 and 3, so dominant at the net.

Biglever likes this.
  10. minions

minions Regular Member

With this win, Ahsan/Hendra will rose to the 4th rank. It will be the first time INA MD has 2 pairs in the top 4 in the modern era. Li/Liu and Kamura/Sonoda better watch out. If they don't careful, Ahsan/Hendra can surpass them. I actually can see Ahsan/Hendra reaching the 2nd rank this year.

P.S. I am surprised to get the info that Ahsan/Hendra will play at Swiss Open, considering Hendra's injury.

11. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

12. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

If there would be any category for the best smile, this guy in the middle would be winning an award for that.. :D

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Congratulation to Ahsan/Hendra for winning AE. This must mean a lot to them.

I was worried when Hendra got injured in the semifinal and how fast the Malaysian pair could play. But wow it was one of the best performance I'd ever seen from Hendra for a while in G2 and G3. Ahsan did well too attacking from the back.

Though I would say luck factor playing a big role too in their victory, but hey, they have earned it and deserved it. I felt much better that they had won it instead of the Malaysian pair :D

minions likes this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Steen our man. :D:D:D Love the hashtag #GoodToHaveHerryIPOnYourSide

stanleyfm, minions, MezzL and 2 others like this.
  15. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

What's important is these 2 amazing gentlemen won the title regardless of whether the match was not so exciting, the opponents were not so good, etc. A win is a win and that's it. They're one of my indo favorites

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

16. wade

wade Regular Member

Herry IP is probably his favorite coach, always praise him anytime he can, and who can blame him :D without a doubt the best MD coach in the world.

17. minions

minions Regular Member

Ahsan/Hendra's win proves that INA MD is as strong as ever. Just because minions lose, doesn't mean it is over. The coach, Herry IP, is a legend. He knows that he still has them and Fajar/Rian when minions lose in R1. In the Olympic qualification period, he will have to select 2 pairs to go to OG. This is something that he never experiences before. I don't think 3 INA MDs in the top 8 is happened before since SS era.

18. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    I don't think it's up to him to choose which pair to go. Two highest ranked should go, no?

He's been coaching INA MD for so long and still deliver. A lot of guys with a job security like that will lose motivation.
    And notice that he called Ahsan and Fajar/Rian with a "BRO":D

Paulus Firman also done a good job with Malaysian MD, I can see Chia/Soh will become contender either this year or next year. And though GVS/TWH are no longer with BAM, they still attribute their reviving career to him.

He has redeemed himself from the London accident, been sacked and relegated from PBSI coaching staff.

19. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I would love to see ahsan & hendra participate in the olympics

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

20. wade

wade Regular Member

So...minions and ahsan/hendra for the olympics ? :D fajar/rian gotta work harder from now on :D