Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sounds great, looking forward to it!

2. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Thanks a lot for the input. I am trying to lower by backhand preparation ahah. I invite you to check my thread for personnal improvment here : https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ssion-asking-for-advices.179493/#post-2701479

I have posted a video where i am a lot more challenged and already got some feedback but i would love more of it! Notable point Taken for now are me being to stiff (global stance) and my serve need work to be more consistent.

#2762 SimonCarter, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just to contribute something again, here's an old match (same day as the last video). Sorry for the angle, someone must've bumped the tripod a bit....but a fun match, at least playing it. Watching...maybe. :D
    I'm wearing a green shirt and have a green stripe on my pants.

It's up. I assure you, comments regarding my masterfully fluent delivery (or indeed the pronounciation of the word 'comment' itself) are not necessary :D

#2763 j4ckie, Jan 25, 2019
  4. RichF

RichF Regular Member

What's it like trying to see the shuttle coming out from those windows at the back of the court?!

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Those weren't directly behind the court, so not that bad (only when standing on the left and defending a lift to the right). Worse were the windows on the near side, directly behind the court at standing overhead height. Thankfully the weather wasn't great that day :D

#2765 j4ckie, Jan 25, 2019
    RichF likes this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Solid match by all four players on court. Your error rate was a lot lower compared to the last clip. The guy in the white shirt had some bloody great moments - like that backhand save after being flicked at 26:12. You could be glad that those were only certain remote moments of brilliance.

Apart from that screetching noise in the background (foreground?), it's a well done clip. So thanks for making the effort! I fully understand what you're saying about the grip, but still I'm convinced that you can get a similar result with going towards the opposite direction and approaching the shuttle with a bevel'ish grip (so somewhere between neutral and a real bevel grip). You can play straight and cross court net shots directly from that grip and you only need to roll the racket quickly towards a full thumb grip for pushes/flicks. Guess it mostly depends on what makes you feel more comfortable.

The thing that I'm doing wrong is to approach the shuttle already with a full thumb grip and with a stringbed almost parallel to the net which kills every deception for a push/flick and makes a good tight and spinning net shot almost impossible.

j4ckie likes this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He had one of his better matches, really :D if he were capable of producing shots like that consistently, he probably wouldn't play in our league :D direct comparison isn't a very good indicator in doubles, but...well...I haven't lost a men's doubles league match this or last season....he has ;P
    Wonder what it'd be like to play with him, if we'd match or if it'd be a bit too much of the same. Imop we are both the more adventurous player in both our pairs here, at least I feel I am from the back of the court. Neither of us is super quick, so I wonder if we'd get outmaneuvered. We're not exactly lightning fast at changing directions, like many taller guys :D
    PS: beat this combination twice this season, with a different partner the first time. Straight sets in that encounter. More effectively targeted the shorter guy back then, iirc, especially in attack. Second part of the 'strategy' is to keep the taller one away from the net, and move him around when at the back :D

#2767 j4ckie, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    s_mair likes this.
  8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is an interesting detail, which actually cropped up in a video I filmed recently.

For the cross-court net shot specifically, starting with a backhand or thumb grip restricts the wrist movement too much. So I agree with you that a bevel grip is a good choice here (of course, the grip might change depending on where the shuttle is). Note that the thumb can still support the racket from underneath. The grip can also change during the stroke -- I would expect it to finish more like a panhandle grip.

But using a bevel grip as your general-purpose grip for backhands at the net? This is quite limiting. Particularly for lifts, a backhand or thumb grip will be more appropriate. The bevel grip creates quite a "floppy" backhand here. So I suggest using a slightly different grip, depending on which shot you intend to hit.

Most players (and even coaches!) are attracted to the idea of having exactly the same preparation for all possible shots, but this is not realistic. Trying to force perfectly-consistent preparation reduces shot quality. There will be often small differences, but your opponent is not going to notice things like a slightly different grip, or even a slightly different overhead prep.

ucantseeme and j4ckie like this.
  9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Out of curiosity, did you post that somewhere? Interested whether you have a slightly different opinion or if we agree 100%

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not yet uploaded; it will be on my website. Also I think that one is going to be subscriber-only.

11. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hi there ! I played on a tournament this weekend. I recorded the only match that I played in single. Some good rallies here and there but globally too many mistakes (as usual) :(

I'm the one in yellow.

Feel free to comment and enjoy :D

s_mair likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Been a long while since I posted singles footage. Mostly, because I didnt play any outside of training :D As we were already guaranteed first place, during our last match of the season, I played my only singles match, switching out of the mixed. Feel free to give advice! I already vowed to work on strength&movement more seriously again, and I know I was a tad too passive in this one. Will have to get used to smashing in singles again, as I tend to drag the shuttle out the side when moving sideways....

PS: Sorry for the wonky footage. Tried to use the phone instead of the very old, blurry 720p camcorder....mixed results, really. Will see if I can reduce the vibration/shocks somehow, as using the stabilizer in the software didnt turn out so well :D

I'm wearing the green shirt, btw

#2772 j4ckie, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    SimonCarter likes this.
  13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Video not available...

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Did you open it on mobile, perhaps? Checked it again, on PC it works for me. Or it didnt save the privacy setting on YT, saved that again too. Sorry for the inconvenience!

15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Nah, checked it in my browser. But it works now.

j4ckie likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, what's up with that jumping images? I thought that I had a stroke there for a second... :confused:

And everytime I watch you play singles, I'm wondering why you're so fixed on your XD spot. I clearly vote that you should play more singles cause hands down, you have all that is needed. And watching that match, I can't confirm the lack of attack but instead I think you're playing a very controlled and safe match there. You moved that guy around a lot, I'm pretty sure he felt a bit dizzy towards the end. Oh, and I've just found the exact moment of his mental surrender: Watch 9:50. That was it for him. :D

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sorry, didn't realize how much the camcorder stabilizes on its own (used my phone instead, here), and the tripod is really cheap so it doesn't do a lot :D I'll probably have to use heavy stabilization on the doubles footage, was even worse there...

Regarding the singles, I'm a bit conflicted - I've played XD for the last 6 years now, I believe, and I enjoy the more tactical side of doubles compared to singles. I'll probably go for more singles next season though, seeing how my team mates won't get any younger and we'll move up a league....will need some serious preparation over the summer, though. If the opponents aren't as forthcoming with errors as this one, I'll have to put on more pressure, and the pace will definitely be higher.
    Thanks for the praise, though! =)

18. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Very cheap tripod can do wonders if left untouched. Hehe
    The stabilization makes it too hard for me to watch on my phone at least sorry!
    I am interested in what kind of preparation you are thinking for summer.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The tripod is that cheap amazon thing, doesn't even have rubber feet - I think overall it's too light, and not dampened at all. Will try to dampen the whole thing slightly, maybe put a folded towel or some leftover rubber underneath next time. In training, it should be much of an issue anyway, since I dont have to stay as close to the court there (this was a very small hall).

Preparation in summer will include a stricter lifting regime (2-3 times weekly) with more emphasis on the lunge and stabilisation of it as well as more actual training rather than just playing in training. Footwork drills - shadow footwork, drills with a feeder, drills with set shots or limitations of some sort. Running will also be included, but not a whole lot, as I'm naturally not very explosive, but fairly enduring, so I'll probably settle for one run per week (mostly interval) and maybe a recovery run here or there.
    I'm the one planning the team's training when we prepare for a season, so that's mostly what I mean. I'll start physical preparation before that, though.
    Edit: forgot about the backhand. I'll make sure to include some high backhand work, since I really need to improve in that regard. It can really make a difference, espeically for me as a taller player. I dont want to play it normally, but sometimes I have no other option, and improving the clear and overall consistency would be a nice addition.

SimonCarter likes this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Men's doubles 1 of the same match. I hope the zoom and stabilization done in the editing software will make this more watchable, if you prefer the origianal shaky version, I've put that up as well - its the second link :D

Stabilized:

Unstabilized:

#2780 j4ckie, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019