Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Not a pain at all to watch:) I like how you play. You move kind of effortlessly and almost like a danseur:D

2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hello guys ! It has been a while since I came here :D
    Here is a video from few month back.

Feel free to comment :D

And Happy New Year !

s_mair likes this.
  3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I guess you're the one with the red shoes. One of the best looking technique I've seen in this thread. Thumbs up.

You take a lot of casual backhands though, because you're fast enough to get the net shots back. :p

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What a prefect way to enter the BC world. Welcome!

Really entertaining clip to watch, thanks a lot for sharing. Your technique looks very precise and by the book but I feel like there is still a lot of hidden potential if you're willing to invest some time and sweat and listen to the advice of the BC coaching squad. Looking forward to your self-improvement thread!

And even if I'm just a racket-swinging nerd, let me start with a first obvious thing: Play more round-the-head shots instead of a backhand. Prefect example: 4:29. You had enough time to take a sip of coffee while you were waiting for that shuttle to come down.

Oh, and for the record- what's the gear lineup that you're playing?

Edit:
    And a happy new year to you and all the other BC'ers out there!

SimonCarter likes this.
  5. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Thanks for the blasting fast reply!
    I had to work a lot on my technique since i come from tennis (I switched to badminton three years ago with some casual play before). I am glad it is showing off. I am more than willing to invest time and efforts, I will post my thread once i have more content (by next Thursday I ran out of storage this time...).

You are right about the round the head shots! It is basically me being lazy I need to work on that.

I updated my profile but I use some voltric ZF 2 4U4G with 11kg/24.25lbs tension (Which i totally dont have the level to handle correctly but they are forcing me to play properly so i'm fine with that) when i'm too tired i switch to a less stiff and tensed babolat racket.

6. SimonCarter

Thanks for the reply. I look like a danseur well that is a first ahah! thanks!

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nah, don't go lowballing here - you're easily able to wield a 4U ZF2 with that setup appropriately. Good color choice by the way - that's the white LD-version, isn't it?

And an extra thumbs up for having a tennis background. I wouldn't have noticed that at all.

SimonCarter likes this.
  8. SimonCarter

I feel ok using it, it is so unforgiving thats the only issue. It is actually the Yellow ld version. I have one white also (had a second white but it died on a double clash that was painful)

Yeah i worked so much for that ahah. I think the last tennis issue i have is that my Split step is too Big and costs me some rallies. (It is noticeable if you Watch at 0.25 speed). It could have been worse !

s_mair likes this.
  9. SimonCarter

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Here's another "best of" clip from the first singles session of the year. Enjoy:

And same as with the previous clip, please don't invest any time to comment on technical or tactical issues and possible improvements. The issues are already addressed and work is in progress.
    For the record - the slow motions are there for self analysis only since I've been working on overhead and backhand technique lately. And as a side effect, they do look gooood! :cool:

@j4ckie
    This time it's against our #2, so you can get an impression too. We played two matches, I won both in three games and was fairly pleased with my overall performance that day. This guy has a style that is constantly disrupting your own flow and always leaves you with a feeling that you couldn't really show your A-game.
    I wanted to work on my backhand hold and flick shots (hence that insanely stupid sequence at 2:27...) but noticed towards the end of match 1 that he's much less vulnerable for that kind of shot than Bruno. So I changed tactics to doing more net shots in match 2 (starting 4:44) and was really happy about the quality, especially between 5:00 to 6:00 in the clip. I also switched from N80II to N9II between the matches, so let's see if you can spot any major differences in terms of smash power or anything else. ;)

speCulatius likes this.
  11. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

That is some low ceiling court I got the impression it's a vehicle garage

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It definitely has that underground parking lot feel to it. Mostly because it's indeed located in the basement floor of the gym. Sadly, it's the only gym within an 1 hour driving radius that has rental courts for badminton. And worst of all, it's rather expensive too. :oops:

Oh, and the low ceiling basically forbids any kind of really high defensive clears, so mostly the matches turn out to be really straight forward and aggressive.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

I've played in such low ceiling gyms before... one really easy sneaky way to score points is to make really tight net shots to force a lift which always ends up hitting the ceiling...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Rob3rt, badmintony and s_mair like this.
  14. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

First of all, thanks for keeping this thread alive! At the moment, I only have videos of just my side of the court or against people who don't want me to upload it...
    And you can already see that.
    Before doing that, I'd relearn the lunge, it looks like you're still moving forwards while lunging, having the weight mainly on the front foot, also you make a hunchback everytime. Maybe also train the backside of your body, mainly hamstrings and the lower back muscles. I'm just saying this in case you're not already working on it. ;) You'll end up quicker while saving some energy.

edit: You cannot really play those shots when reaching out with a straight arm. The langer Arm is important to reach the shuttle early at the net and okay a tumbling net shot, but it minutes the motion too much to play a hold (oder sogar ansaugen) and flick.
    Maybe you need to move. I never counted how many places I can play within a one hour driving distance (let alone all the clubs I can visit if I don't overdo it). Last time, we rented a court, we paid 5,50€ and it was "pay one hour, get one free," so it was one court for two hours for 5,50€. I don't know how they make money off of that...

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Both great inputs, thanks a lot! I'm doing a lot of dry footwork practise at home to become both quicker and more efficient. I'll watch out specifically for that lunge thing though!

Move? Are you kidding? Have you ever visited the Allgäu and the Lake Constance area? A low ceiling badminton gym is a small price to pay for living in such a beautiful landscape and being able to reach the middle of the alps within a 1 hour car trip! :D
    But 5,50 EUR for two hours is a steal. We get charged between 11 EUR per 90 minutes up to 19,50 EUR per hour(!) there, depending on weekday and time slot.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Curious high backhand technique :D
    Overall, I'd say you could definitely grip lower, and try to adjust your forehand grip a bit - just a tad too panhandle-y imop, especially in the deep forehand corner. You move well, although I noticed several times that you turned your foot towards the inside on lunges to the net. Might want to fix that, as it puts a lot of strain on the knee, although you probably automatically avoid it on deep lunges after a quick motion. Still, always good to get rid of bad habits :D
    Would be good to see you challenged to give further advice, as we all look much better when trouncing an opponent than when we're really under pressure ;)

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seeing how you live in one of the most expensive countries in Europe (not quite sure how you compare to Norway...), that doesnt seem expensive. That's basically the same we pay here, and while the ceilings are higher in that place, the walls are not isolated at all. So in winter you get basically outside temp. +max. 10°....there's a reason I haven't been there in more than a year :D

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Definitely better tactical choices in the second game. More tempo. This seems like the kind of guy I'd love to play, and honestly, I really cant figure out why he'd play above you. Unless you're one of those players who get super stressed and error-prone in match situations, I dont see any reason - he's just so bad technically :D No offense.
    Just an example, against this guy my plan would be to keep the tempo high to keep him out of his comfort zone, and not to smash too much or out of position. Mainly look for angle with smashes, unless it's a really short lift and you can put it on his chest (or down the side line, as you nicely did a few times from your forehand). Me, I'd also go for a lot of disguise, especially from the net, but that's one of my go-tos and strengths. Your hold-and-flick BH didnt seem to trouble him much, but let's say there's room for improvement there ;)
    Tiny technical note I cant resist adding - on your backhand near the net, you should try and adjust your technique and approach to the shuttle, especially if you want to add disguise. You tend to round your wrist a bit, which limits power. Try to turn the racket in your hand a bit more, slightly towards the BH or thumb grip, and also so that it's at a bigger angle towards your forearm (rotating it on the plane of your palm a bit). Your hand could be a bit looser too. Bend your elbow a bit more. Sorry if this is too much, I just love that particular corner and kind of shot, couldnt resist :D
    If I'm not entirely clear, shoot me a pm or sth. Maybe I could show it in a short video or sth, it's a bit hard to describe some of the things I mean.

Smashes look good, I agree. Since you're already working on it, I won't comment on the landing and movement after :cool::p

s_mair likes this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Thanks for the encouragement, mate. That's exactly the same thought that comes to my mind when I'm watching him against others. But it seems like over the past months, I've figured out some strategies that are working well against him. For example, I really have to watch out for his cross court drop shots. On a good day (and with enough time), he can hit those with great accuracy and very consistenty - so it helps to move my base position a couple of inches forward. He doesn't really play punch clears at all and his smashes are also not the big threat, so the risk of doing so is rather limited.
    Keeping the tempo high is another factor to rob him some accuracy off his drop shots.

Same here! And that's why I have it in focus these days. Matt already gave me pretty much the same input than yours and whilst I could transfer a lot of it during drills and practises, it still hasn't reached my match-game at all it seems. So there's some work to do. I'm following a different philosophy regarding the grip though. I figured that having a bevel'ish grip on BH net shots opens up more possibilites regarding cross court net shots too without limiting any other shot. Playing cross court net shots with keeping a thumb grip requires a lot of wrist movement and mobility.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Regarding the grip, when playing the cross net shot I'd roll the grip in my hand a bit just before starting the shot motion.
    To give you an example of a player using too much of a bevel grip - LCW is guilty of the same. And he never fools anyone near his level with his 'disguised' shots. I'll actually go ahead and make a really short vid to show and explain. :D