Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Mixed doubles. I think someone wanted to see that, although I dont know why :p I think I could've played better, but wasnt entirely bad either.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

#2721 j4ckie, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    lurker and ucantseeme like this.
  2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think somebody wanted to see it because of your eyecandy partner. ;)

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Men's doubles match of the same day, if anyone's interested :D
    Hope everyone's having a lovely Christmas!
    Favorite moment shortly after the 11:20 mark, you'll know it when you see it :D :D :D

#2723 j4ckie, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  4. berryseti

berryseti Regular Member

Ah the Lin Dan guy :)
    It is Class A league, at best.
    At least in our Province.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What are you talking about :D

6. varinder bansal

varinder bansal New Member

You play well man! keep going

7. Duncan

Duncan New Member

i will be post soon but your videos are nice

8. Maximo

Maximo New Member

nice player and interesting video

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Been a while. This thread seems to be asleep....does anyone even read this? :D
    If so, new video is up. Not quite our best in the first game. Not the best conditions...but no excuses. Enjoy :p

ucantseeme, speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Still reading and watching! :D
    That was indeed a rocky start. You didn't seem to get into any flow whatsoever - and so many unforced errors. The most painful one at 6:23 I would say. Ouch, how I hate it when that happens! :mad:

Then comes a great 1 vs. 2 rally at 7:57 (two great backhands there, love it!) and all of a sudden, you and your partner seem to be in the match for the first time. Your posture gets lower, you're moving around more agile and the error rate drops noticeably.

I only skipped through the second game (the perspective is a bit so-so if one's interested in following the Hannover pair...), but from what I saw, you seem to have it under control and kept up the pressure. And your opponents realised it (see body language at 15:03 - that's basically a mental surrender motion...). Oh, and finally, you and your partner started to attack the sub-optimal serve of the (supposedly) younger guy. He was basically telegraphing his short serves with letting the shuttle drop those 10 cm every single time. And speaking of serves, you've once more been the player on court with the safest and most consistent serve, hands down.

Long story short - I've enjoyed watching it, so thanks for sharing!

j4ckie likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And for the sake of keeping this thread alive, here's clip from a singles sparring session a couple of weeks ago. "Best of" means, that I've cut out those super boring 1- or 2-shot rallies (serve and return of serve errors) to make it as entertaining as possible to watch.

And please do not invest any time to comment on possible technical or tactical improvements and potentials since I'm already discussing that in detail with one designated members of the BC-coaching-squad via PM (thanks @MSeeley!) and I don't want to distract myself with more input than I already have to process. But of course, feel free to praise that stunning (for me too!) backhand clip-smash. :D

Anyway, here's 10 minutes of pure amateur men's singles. Enjoy.

#2732 s_mair, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    badmintony, dtjovan and speCulatius like this.
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You remind me of someone. Cant put my finger on it. But your mechanics and movement always remind me of someone I've seen....
    If you're ever interested in some sort of badminton get-together, let me know. I have the sneaking suspicion we'd get on quite well, at this point I think you have eclipsed most of even my badminton nerdiness :D

I love the narcissistic slow-mo :cool:;) But also that backhand clear near the 2-minute mark. Thank you s_mair, very cool!

I'll leave the tactical commentary alone, as you wish. Just a general question - dost thou even hoist? :p Seriously, do you squat? Hands down most beneficial exercise for badminton. You seem quite fit, but your stance is fairly high in some situations, and it does help me with that. Also, there's some fun exercises for the ankle/calf area that help with that all-important first step, even if I don't do them nearly often enough :D If you want some input on that, let me know, maybe pm me.

Btw, I love these kinds of matches. The training matches between guys who have played each other a thousand times, and neither wants to lose, and both fight for every point...much better than competition against some randoms, at least from an entertainment point of view :p

#2733 j4ckie, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    s_mair likes this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

6:23 is indeed painful. I think I had an even worse error in the XD that followed, but thankfully it was only witnessed by those present and will thus be forgotten in due time. I also quite liked the rally at 2:40, I remember that was when I started to get into the match. Cant really say why I struggled in the beginning, I was quite calm mentally and had no issues distracting me, maybe getting ramped up to my normal speed just took a while. I think the most crucial difference was my positioning towards the shuttle, that is almost always the source of my errors when I play THIS inconsistently. I thought you'd appreciate my disguised drop (9:39) a bit more....
    You are forgiven for skipping the 2nd game btw, it was a bit of a blowout. That one rally near the beginning also shows me I need to put in some work on my smashes, only the 3rd one had a decent angle there....whew.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Glad I could entertain you for a bit there. :D
    And yeah, I just had to worship that backhand miracle best possible (even if the slow-mo exposes a long-term flaw in my techinque... watch the wrist movement...). You know what they say - you have to like yourself before you can like someone else. ;)

A badminton-nerd get-together would be such a great idea, but the problem will be the location. Given that it's around 650 km from the Lake Constance to Hannover, I'm afraid it won't be an easy task. You don't happen to plan a visit at the upcoming WC in Basel by any chance?

In fact, I do. Along with skipping and some plyometric stuff which I've intensified over the past summer. So leg-fitness wise, I think it should be manageable to lower the stance more. On the plus side, compared to 1 or 2 years ago, my stance has lowered, but it's still not where I want it to be. But be assured that this issue has been addressed already. :)
    By the way, I've replaced my previous running sessions mostly with skipping and I feel fitter and more agile on court than ever.

This! 100%! And in this case, our playing styles are very compatible and we always end up having funny and tight matches. Psychologically I'm in the nice position to be the team's #3 whereas he's #1, so I'm always the underdog with the weight of expectation being on him. :D

Oh hell yeah, that was indeed a beautiful TTY-like deception... *cough*netcord*

Never underestimate the effect of a chest-height smash now and then!

#2735 s_mair, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    j4ckie likes this.
  16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haven't thought about it tbh. With the right circumstances I might take that long train ride to Switzerland though (i.e. having the free time and finding a good offer on an ICE ticket) :D

I like to mix it up, I skip rope in the badminton hall, I run a bit, I lift. Running doesn't help explosive movement at all, but it helps keep my calves and achilles intact, and I like to do interval sessions in the not-so-cold months to get the endurance up. Rope skipping has the advantage of being much closer to badminton movement, as you load up that achilles and calf very similar to a proper split step. There's a reason it's part of the bread and butter of Chinese training....but you can also benefit from running if you adopt the proper form, not heel striking.
    Looking at your stance and body structure, you would probably benefit from doing a bit of hip mobility and some strengthening of the glutes in a wider stance (for example, side steps in a squad stance with a rubber band around your knees).

I'm still surprised every time you mention that little fact. He doesn't really look like a #1 to me in your matches, but that's not uncommon with internal matches. Similar in our team, where I can match up well against some of our guys that actually do better against the broad mass of opponents - or where I struggle against guys that are worse in almost every aspect. :D

Caught him flat-footed with his pants down. Never stood a chance. You just have to know when to play those, dont waste them when the score isnt close.

I dont, I do them on purpose quite frequently - but those weren't on purpose :D :D But it's a good weapon when you're tall and they lean forward a lot in expectation of your angle, especially to the shoulder of the cross guy (shuttle has a longer way to travel past him there, not a big chance of hitting it out). Especially effective if you mix it up with sliced, angled shots as I like to do.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If you have some time and some Schweizer Franken to spend, let me know. For the record, I'll be there on semi-final Saturday.

That's a great tip! I did those some time ago but stopped for unknown reasons.

The spread between #1 and #3 in our team is quite close I dare say without bragging. Funny thing is that I have a lot more problems with our #2 whereas Bruno keeps beating him in a row. But to be fair, Bruno definitely has that little extra gear when he manages to really get in the zone which I think he hasn't shown on any of the clips I've shot so far. And on the other hand there is me who tends to get nervous in competitive situations, especially in singles. Never had an issue of that sort in doubles though.

j4ckie likes this.
  18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Yes. I look from time to time into this thread an keep my fingers crosses, when you are the last poster to see a video with Lucas. :D:D:D

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sorry to disappoint mate, but 2nd league is a bit too high for me :D :D

20. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Hello guys new fellow here!

Here is a video from me playing (I'm the one playing in black)

The video is unedited let me know if it's a pain to watch as it is. I will shoot more (mainly for self analysis) so this is a first shot.
    I think the angle is not ideal.

I will post on the dedicated section to get feedback on my techniques/stance/anything (there's always a lot to tell) but any advice is appreciated. I love to improve and this is what drives me to play at the moment.

Enjoy the few minutes of birdy pain.

happy new year to you all.

swsh, s_mair and badmintony like this.